• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Nice job on the restoration. Have you tried the square egg pan yet? How does the pan do as far as eggs(sunny side up, soft yolk) sticking?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Nice job on the restoration. Have you tried the square egg pan yet? How does the pan do as far as eggs(sunny side up, soft yolk) sticking?
    I just finished it up the night before last.
    I actually fried a couple eggs in it this morning. One at a time. They slid around just fine in it. It's kind of awkward having the tiny pan on the big burner though. Lol. It worked excellent though.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    After cleaning them up, do you re-season them with oil then in the oven?

Yes sir. I normally use crisco and do several coats. I have been playing around lately with some Crisbee and really like the results. It is just as good as the crisco seasoning but normally doesn't smoke quite as much while seasoning.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We get ours from antique stores, second-hand stores, tractor shows and flea markets. Smooth surface is better than any texture.

They usually have to be de-rusted and reseasoned, but that's not hard.

I have a question...how do you properly season cast iron cookware, then, how do you properly clean and maintain it. I`ve read a couple ways, so that`s confusing. When I used mine a lot, I would scrub it with soap and water, then dry it on low heat on the stove top, before coating it again with Crisco and letting it dry.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a question...how do you properly season cast iron cookware, then, how do you properly clean and maintain it. I`ve read a couple ways, so that`s confusing. When I used mine a lot, I would scrub it with soap and water, then dry it on low heat on the stove top, before coating it again with Crisco and letting it dry.
    :runaway:

I rarely let water touch mine. Paper towels is about all I need.

If it needs more I have a stubby, stiff brush to get sticky bits (with a sparring amount of water).

Read this:

The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Of all the oils I've used I find that Flax Seed Oil does the best job putting down a good seasoning. It's spendy but makes a noticeable difference in the thickness and resiliency of the seasoning; and I don't use it regularly so a small bottle has lasted me for about 6 months so far.

After I cook with mine, and I use them pretty much every day, I will rinse them out and reheat until dry, then spread around a couple drops of some oil (whatever I am using, Sunflower, Grape Seed, Olive...) to coat the surface good and leave it on the burner till it starts to polymerize...or just starts to smoke.

I probably don't need to do this but it seems right to me and has been working for years.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage

There are a million different ways. If you ask the right person, every one of those ways works. The basics are as follows:
    1. Make sure pan is clean. Whether this is stripped to bare metal via lye and or electrolysis or a new, preseasoned Lodge that you bought. I Wash it with blue Dawn dish soap and rinse rinse rinse and then rinse once more for good measure.

2. Dry it. As I'm drying I will hit it with a bit of spray Pam to help prevent flash rust. Throw it in the 200° oven for 10-15 minutes to finish drying.

3. Pull out of oven and wipe it down in whatever oil you use to season it. I use crisco, Pam, or Crisbee, depending on the application.

4. Wipe it all off. Here is the important part. Wipe it again. Wipe it one more time. Get a clean paper towel and wipe once more. It should basically look dry.

5. Put back in oven for 60-70 minutes at temperature that is called for. If I only have Crisbee in there it is 400° if I have crisco or Pam, I set it at 425 or 450. They say to put it in upside down to prevent pooling of the oil. If you are getting oil pooling up at all, you screwed up step 4. I put them upside down to try and prevent any lines from the racks in the oven. I haven't seen any lines on any of the pans I have done but it is a preventative measure for me.

6. Turn oven off and let pans sit until you can handle them and add more oil and repeat the seasoning process.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    As far as maintenance goes, if nothing sticks, I wipe with a paper towel until it appears dry and I am done.

If something sticks, I will either scrape it out with my metal spatula or add some water and bring it to a simmer. It will lift the stuck particles right off the skillet. Wipe with paper towel, hit with shot of Pam and wipe until dry.

If it's really bad or sticky or gross, I throw it in the sink, scrub with dawn, rinse, rinse, rinse, towel dry, put on burner and warm it up, hit with pam, wipe til dry.

SOAP AND WATER WILL NOT HURT YOUR CAST IRON COOKWARE AS LONG AS YOU DRY IT AND APPLY SOME OIL WHEN YOU ARE DONE. That said, you shouldn't soak it in the stuff.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Flaxseed oil. Meh. It is expensive, it calls for 7+ coats if I remember correctly. It smells worse than any other oil I've ever used to season while seasoning and that's pretty bad because Crisco is gross smelling. Lol. Hanging around the cast iron community, I have talked to a lot of folks that know a lot more about it than me. The general consensus of those "in the know" is a resounding "pass" on the flaxseed oil. It just doesn't do anything better than any of the other oils. And it is ridiculously expensive.

My personal experience is that I have had 2 pans flake badly after a couple months use and had to be restripped and seasoned. I have one more that is used pretty regularly that just recently has showed some signs of needing some attention. So, yes, it worked. Kind of. But at the cost, I will take my $4 tub of crisco all day every day over flaxseed oil. Just my 2 pennies. If it works for you, great. If you're on the fence, spend the extra 10-12 bucks you save by buying crisco on amother skillet or two.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Happy day, the 11yo daughter just gifted me a Griswold #3 with that caveat that I cook omelets for breakfast...mission accomplished.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Nothing beats eggs and bacon cooked on a well seasoned skillet when camping. Also if you run out of ammo when SHTF you can pound somebodies brains out with it.

Top Bottom