• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Just getting interested in cleaning up some cast iron pans I got at a garage sale. I read about the electrolysis and the the lye in the sun method but has anyone tried beadblasting or perhaps some other media. It would remove baked on crap and rust at the same time. Anybody see a downside?

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Just getting interested in cleaning up some cast iron pans I got at a garage sale. I read about the electrolysis and the the lye in the sun method but has anyone tried beadblasting or perhaps some other media. It would remove baked on crap and rust at the same time. Anybody see a downside?

You need to go easy blasting on the cooking surface. If you rough it up , you will just create a surface that is difficult to clean and sterilize. A good iron pan will have a cooking surface as smooth as a new Teflon one.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have not tried it or seen it done. If you leave close to NWI I’d be more then happy to put them in my electrolysis tank.

Sundays breakfast with my rough ass Lodge cast iron skillets.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close

The wife handed me a big cast iron pan last year from her Venture Crew that was crusty & rusty all over. I hit it with a DeWalt angle grinder & a wire cup brush, and it looked great in just a few minutes. Re-seasoned inside & out ... performs flawlessly now.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I appreciate that. Is there a thread on here that shows how to make one? I live just east of Indy so NWI is kinda far away.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I appreciate that. Is there a thread on here that shows how to make one? I live just east of Indy so NWI is kinda far away.
    Just search electrolysis on YouTube. There are tons of videos on it.

As as you can see I kept mine simple. Just used things that was laying around the garage.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Found a Griswold #5 Skillet to add to the collection...:rockwoot:It was in good enough shape that just a quick cleaning and on the stove it went. $17. Now I'm getting picky...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's it! I'm done with "non-stick" pans! I'm throwing out all my teflon and nu-tech wizz-bang kajigger pans. No more pans hocked by people on infomercials with bad accents.

After using my wok (to make kimchi & spam stir-fry, yum!), I realized that pan is 17 years old and is better than anything else. So carbon steel here I come! I need a rounded saute pan - any suggestions? I found this in this thread, is that a good pan? I see Lodge makes some, too...

Minor thread jack-- carbon steel skillet is replacing my cast iron for frequent usage. IMO, it's everything I like about CI, but better. Better nonstick, lighter weight but higher density, and longer handles.

Here's my 2nd Matfer Bourgeat that arrived Monday, just getting seasoned:

View attachment 47740

Its already amazingly nonstick!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Also, I picked up a Lodge 10" grill pan at TJ Maxx.

It work really well for last night's thick cut & stuffed pork chops. Who needs a grill when you got that?
    That will be my next purchase. Sear the steak in a cast iron skillet on the top of the stove and then put it in the oven for four minutes makes one of the perfect steaks I’ve ever made.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That will be my next purchase. Seat the steak in a cast iron skillet on the top of the stove and then put it in the oven for four minutes makes one of the perfect steaks I’ve ever made.

These chops were THICK, so I didn't know how long to leave them in the oven.

Even well done, they were still good, thanks to an overnight soak in a brine.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    These chops were THICK, so I didn't know how long to leave them in the oven.

Even well done, they were still good, thanks to an overnight soak in a brine.
    The first time I did it I just guess, sear two minutes each side and 30 second around the edges and four minutes in the oven at 450%

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I use my cast iron for my go to cooking for almost everything when the temps outside are below room temp. When I start to cool the house I move my heat generators out to the grill and smoker. It just seems to make more energy sense to me that way.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would avoid beadblasting or wire wheeling vintage cast iron pans. It destroys any collector value as the surface is visibly changed. Wire wheels also almost always leave residue of the wheel metal which can change the properties of the pan.

Electrolysis and lye are are way more gentle on the pan. You also can run through a self clean cycle, but try it on a crappy pan first. Some ovens get too hot and cause fire damage to the iron and really thin pieces sometimes crack.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    No kidding Fargo, I walked up on a decent no notch Lodge 12 a few months back and just about teared up when I turned it over ... ruined beyond belief from a grinder and wheel. And please, NO fire cleaning. Buy some Lye and some gloves folks.

KGS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Crawfordsville
    I like Lodge cast iron. I would rather buy used pieces even if you have to re-season them. The older stuff is better than the new stuff. If you want to do anything in a dutch oven get the one with the recessed lid so you can put coals in the lid for baking. also make sure the oven has feet. It really is wonderful to use once you get the hang of it. Enjoy!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Try baking bread inside the Dutch oven.It gives it a nice crust,and evenly browns it.
    Here’s a really easy recipe.

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Dutch Oven White Bread[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Ingredients[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]3 cups white flour (We used bread flour)[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]1 teaspoon salt[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]1/2 teaspoon yeast[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]1 1/2 cups warm water[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Instructions[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]In a bowl combine ingredients, cover and let rise for 12 hours. Add dough to a floured surface and form a ball. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Preheat dutchoven to 450 degrees. 11 coals bottom 22 coals on top. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Add dough to a 5 quart dutch oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes[/FONT][/FONT]

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I used to think I hated cast iron cookware, now it's my go-to. There are a few things I don't use it for, one of those is pan fish...no breading, just a bit of butter and olive oil. My non-stick skillet is going to need replaced. I've heard it's best not to cook fish in your everyday cast iron, partly because it will take on the flavor and smell. I wonder if the carbon steel would be a better choice?

Top Bottom