• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    This is exactly the response I expected, but like I said I'm surrounded by them where I live and am friends with alot of them and I know how much money they have and how much federal government money they get even though they don't need it, it's mind blowing. How many of you can get a loan for a $500,000 house? Well then think about how much money, credit, assets you must have to be able to get a $500,000 John Deere. Trust me there are alot of farm kids out there paying cash to go to Harvard and you know who's paying for it, that dusty old guy you wave at when see him out in the yard working or sitting at the Hardee's drinking coffee with the other retired farmers on Sunday morning. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against farmers. But make no mistake they do it as some sort of public service, it's a job, and it pays well not even taking into account the value of their land and other assets far exceeds what I could ever hope to make in my lifetime. Never forget that professional athletes don't play sports for your entertainment, they do it because it pays well and farms don't grow food because they feel an overwhelming need to feed the masses. They do it because it pays well. And all of this does not give them the right to trample all over their neighbors! If we were talking about a strip mall you wouldn't be defending them, but they do what they do for the same reason people develope sub-divisions and strip malls. MONEY

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Worm, I suppose you've farmed then? Or you've been involved in ag finance, leasing, accounting, or law close enough that you have audited their financial statements?

As before, I don't disagree with everything you are railing about (like the Gov't subsidies...but I tell ya, those can cut on both edges), but you sound a lot like a lot of people that SEE big piles of green paint, and ASSUME big piles of green money.

You're not always wrong about farm wealth, but your not nearly always right either.

-Nate

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    Quote from 17 squirrel "Dam those bib wearing land barons,*
    Maybe you would be happier moving to a city ? Like one in MD, NYC, Cali or Wash State perhaps.*
    Another one that I'm glad you to are not my neighbor. Good Luck"

You wouldn't feel that way if your creek and kids we were talking about!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know a lot of farmers who do VERY well... And while that may be a lot of money the profits in their pockets do not equate out to them being millionaires. Sorry but I think you are way off base!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    What are you angry about son, the fact that some men have done better than you ?
    Lots of society can qualify for a half a million dollar home. Where I come from that's middle, middle class for a home.
    Most of the men you speak of worked two jobs for decades until retirement time. Most around here were GM factory rats and farmed at night, weekends and vacation time. We should dam them for working hard and achieving that old American Dream.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Quote from 17 squirrel "Dam those bib wearing land barons,*
    Maybe you would be happier moving to a city ? Like one in MD, NYC, Cali or Wash State perhaps.*
    Another one that I'm glad you to are not my neighbor. Good Luck"

You wouldn't feel that way if your creek and kids we were talking about!

Really, you don't know much about me then... I know this, I own a wee bit more property than a acre or two on or off Fall Creek..

Answer me this, why do people like you move to the supposed country and buy a couple of acres for peace and quite and then want to change it to fit your idea of peace and quiet ?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I know a lot of farmers who do VERY well... And while that may be a lot of money the profits in their pockets do not equate out to them being millionaires. Sorry but I think you are way off base!

Yep... Since farming pays so well every year, look into how well the Tomato growers in central Indiana are doing this summer. I'll tell you, most are loosing their shorts, most that didnt get crop insurance will be working next year to payback the cannerys for plants and fertilizers from this years planting. hell Red Gold Elwood Pack this summer is about 4 days this summer instead of 2 months plus. The Orestes plant along with the Geneiva plant are on a reduced pack also, they run for a few days and shut fresh pack down for a few days.

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    I don't want to change anything, but if someone bought the land behind me then start pumping their cow **** through my yard I would be pissed. I like living in the "supposed country" but just as I don't mow my grass and throw it in the neighbors yard or take my dog into their yard to **** I expect the same courtesy from my neighbors (farmers or not).

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    It's all common courtesy. The fact is it's a business and they make money off it and should handle their waste properly, this isn't Iowa where the next neighbor is 1 or 2 miles down the creek. If McDonald's threw their trash out the back door and let the wind blow it away it would be the same thing. I'm retired now but I owned a lawn care business and always cleaned the grass out of the street at my clients house and never threw it in their neighbor's yard. It's all waste and sending it to the neighbor's yard is just wrong. Do unto others.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    But see Son, its a perceived threat as of now. Reading is Fundamental..
    Absolutely, it is only a perceived threat. At most, I would suspect that the cattle would be in the creek (cooling off) maybe a handful of days a year. It's not like they are going to stop what they are doing and go to the creek for a s***. They will go there to drink and the rest of the time do what cows do... Eat!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    We are not talking about man-made trash, we are talking about organics.
    And again, there has been no dumping of livestock waste into the creek that runs through the OP's property.
    Nothing but nimbys and some ranting about something that most likely will never happen.
    And for yourself, have you ever tested the water in Fall Creek a few weeks before planting time in the spring and again in the fall ?
    You might be surprised in what you do and what you don't find.

Remember the old saying,
    The solution to pollution is delution.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    70worm there is no way you're true friends with any farmer around you if you'd say the things you've said in this thread nor would any farmer want to call you a friend.

Farming has evolved because the people demand it. We eat more, waste more and there are more of us. People like you drive prices up by making it hard for farmers to produce.

If it hasn't happened already, someday a farmer will help you out long before he'll ever need your help. I've seen it countless times in my life. Maybe then you'll see the big picture.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    It's all common courtesy. The fact is it's a business and they make money off it and should handle their waste properly, this isn't Iowa where the next neighbor is 1 or 2 miles down the creek. If McDonald's threw their trash out the back door and let the wind blow it away it would be the same thing. I'm retired now but I owned a lawn care business and always cleaned the grass out of the street at my clients house and never threw it in their neighbor's yard. It's all waste and sending it to the neighbor's yard is just wrong. Do unto others.

Just for clarification...you say you are retired now ? Your profile says that you are 38...born in 1977. Apparently owners of lawn care services must be rich, making enough money to retire by 38. You have apparently also accumulated a life time of knowledge in your few short years as you seem to know it all.

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    Just for clarification...you say you are retired now ? Your profile says that you are 38...born in 1977. Apparently owners of lawn care services must be rich, making enough money to retire by 38. You have apparently also accumulated a life time of knowledge in your few short years as you seem to know it all.

I did ok in lawn care, ok enough that I am debt free and now spend over 100 hours a week taking care of my 86 year old Grandpa who has alzheimer's. I spent the last 7 years taking care of him and Grandma both doing all of driving , cleaning, yard work, going to all the doctor's appoiments and taking Grandma to dialysis 3 days a week in Greenwood. All while working. Grandma died August 26 so there's no more dialysis. I spend about 12 hours a day with Grandpa while my son goes to work then he spends nights with Grandpa and I stay all weekend so my son get have brake.

Top Bottom