• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    So...it would appear that the root of many malfunctions/unreliability in the AR is not dirty bolts/chambers/barrels but corroding/obstructing gas systems...so keep your gas system/recoil spring/buffer in good/balanced condition and your gun should function despite a dirty chamber or bolt.

The report of the Brown Bear ammo in that link is the only example of a clogged gas tube that I have ever seen. I don't doubt their results. Don't use Brown Bear ammo. Good ammunition will never clog your gas tube.

The number one malfunction inducer in an AR-15 is worn out or damaged magazines. Otherwise keep it well sprung and properly lubed and it will run just like the 'federal carbine' in that article. 10,000 rounds fired. Zero malfunctions.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The most important thing with an AR is to keep it well lubed. Even with carbon build up, a good lube will keep your AR running. That does not mean neglect maintenance though. You have to understand that AK's are built with sloppy tolerances for the most part. There is more room for carbon to build without causing reliability issues. Even being gas piston driven, you still have significant carbon build up in the chamber. Especially when shooting cheaper ammunition. I clean my AR around 600 rounds, and use a good all weather lube.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    hey Rob,
    I read that same article from old rifleman last night after seeing this thread. So a new powder and mix was the causal factor according to the congressional report. You guys know your AR and gas systems. Lots of possibilities and options. I'm envious. I'm still at that poke a stick down the barrel stage with jammed AR's.
    Lost

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've used this weapon all my adult life, in most climates on the planet, and the only stopages I've experienced have been due to damaged magazines (3 times). I have seen a very small number of stopages due to gas key issues, 2 loose and 1 with a sheared key bolt. I have seen and experienced ammo related issues, that involved the same box of Tula ammo, but that is not weapon system related.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Quality AR, quality magazines, and quality ammo! The three musketeers of an AR that runs! After that, proper maintenance and lubrication, and I'd be surprised if you ever have a problem.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    The only time I had any ftf or fte on my Dpms ar is when i was unable to clean the rifle after 5-600 rounds due to a motorcycle wreck several surgerys / weak had 3 went home a buddy came over and helped me clean it no problems since

Top Bottom