• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I am not savvy with CB radios or ham radios. I dont even know if they are the same thing or not. I was talking with someone who said that he works on CB amplifiers and was a little confused. Could someone tell me how a bit about how CB amps work in relation to radios and what uses they have?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    It would raise the output wattage of the transmission. I think the normal output of a CB is 5 watts, and an amplifier would increase that. When I was Volunteer Fire, we had amplifiers on out FM two-ways for select vehicles, until the county went to a repeater system, to insure contact between the scene and dispatch (very rural area).

If I am not mistaken, there is a limit on the wattage for commercial radio's. I'm sure that a HAM operator will be along on the subject soon.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep. Standard CB radios are limited to 4 watts output. You can modify them internally or buy an external amp to push that up (illegally). Sideband radios can run up to 12 or 16 watts. I had on old radio that was "peaked" and pushed about 10 watts. It eventually burned up.

Not sure about HAM, though I know they can run MUCH higher power.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    CB radios and HAM radios are NOT the same. IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE AN EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER ON A CB RADIO. Ham radio requires a license from the FCC and allows external amps. CB radio requires no license and cannot use external amps or have internal mods that raise the output power above the legal limits.

That being said.......external amplifiers take the transmitted signal from the radio and make it larger. For example, the legal output power of a CB radio is 4 watts AM or 12 watts sideband. A typical amplifier will take that 4 watts and multiply it and you can get from 50 to 500+ watts output to your antenna. More watts out (power) = more distance you can talk.......to a point. Once you get to about 400-500 watts, you get to about the max range you can talk before the curvature of the earth makes straight line communications impossible. However, under the right conditions, you can talk half way around the world on just 25 watts. Long distance communications depends on atmospheric conditions bouncing the signal off the upper layers and around the earth.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Not sure about HAM, though I know they can run MUCH higher power.

Ham Radios come in different frequency ranges and have different output power. Most of the small handheld Ham Radios are only 4-5 watts, but one of the differences between CB and Ham Radios is that Ham Radios typically will be re-broadcast through a repeater or series of repeaters that can send the signal around the globe. So even though a handheld Ham Radio is small and low power, it only needs to reach the nearest repeater.

Ham radios can also connect to satellites and even the Space Station. The Large Ham Radio Base Stations (desktop computer size) often have amplifiers of 100 watts or more and huge outdoor antennas.

I hope this helps.

Here's a link to ARRL for more information.

American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CB radios and HAM radios are NOT the same. IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE AN EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER ON A CB RADIO. Ham radio requires a license from the FCC and allows external amps. CB radio requires no license and cannot use external amps or have internal mods that raise the output power above the legal limits.

That being said.......external amplifiers take the transmitted signal from the radio and make it larger. For example, the legal output power of a CB radio is 4 watts AM or 12 watts sideband. A typical amplifier will take that 4 watts and multiply it and you can get from 50 to 500+ watts output to your antenna. More watts out (power) = more distance you can talk.......to a point. Once you get to about 400-500 watts, you get to about the max range you can talk before the curvature of the earth makes straight line communications impossible. However, under the right conditions, you can talk half way around the world on just 25 watts. Long distance communications depends on atmospheric conditions bouncing the signal off the upper layers and around the earth.

Talking skip is the way we used to describe it. Bouncing a signal way the heck out there. Had all the gear. Was a lot of fun. Twin antenna's on a full sized van made a lot of area to send the signal. Put 400 watts behind it in the right location and hello Colorado.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I sold some load locks to a CB guy in Laredo and he didn't have the other $5 of the agreed amount in cash, so he opened my CB and tweaked it a bit(got me out about a mile further :D) Anyway, he was skipping to a guy in NC. Between the accent and static, I couldn't really understand it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For what its worth, spend your money on a good CB radio, and pass on the amp. A good radio with clear reception and transmit will give you more all around usability. Something else to consider, all the power in the world out of a $3000 radio wont hit the guy down the block without a properly tuned and functioning antenna.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have my Connex 3300HP set to run "barefoot" (no amp) at 40 watts and set to run on low power using a 400 watt amp at 2 watts. I have talked to several people at great distances. I was in Twin Sisters Oregon taking with a guy in D.C.

But without a good antenna you will not be able to pick any body up and you only have a big mouth with no ears.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality

Isn't that what I said, and why are you yelling?

MP43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Rochester
    Hello everyone, not posted on here to much but really enjoy reading everyones idea's and opinions. I have learned alot on here. Just wanted to say hello and respond on the subject. I have had a CB for over 25yrs with what most call kickers or linears but are amps. A CB without a kicker or at least upper or lower sideband is very limited. With even a small kicker and upper or lower sideband me and my wife can talk easily 100's of mile away but on just regular 40 channel it is impossible because of so much interferance from so many on the channels and just no power to push. Even at 8 or 10 watts and just the 40 channels you are so limited. A nice antenna and mic also helps alot. With a nice kicker anyone that you can hear talking they can also here you but not if you dont have one. I really enjoy talking on them and me and the wife feel so much more private.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Take a little time and get your ham license. The technician class license is easy to get, and gives you access to the 2 meter ham band. With that you can purchase a reasonable priced radio that will give you ~50 watts, and give you access to repeaters that will allow you to talk significant distances.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hello everyone, not posted on here to much but really enjoy reading everyones idea's and opinions. I have learned alot on here. Just wanted to say hello and respond on the subject. I have had a CB for over 25yrs with what most call kickers or linears but are amps. A CB without a kicker or at least upper or lower sideband is very limited. With even a small kicker and upper or lower sideband me and my wife can talk easily 100's of mile away but on just regular 40 channel it is impossible because of so much interferance from so many on the channels and just no power to push. Even at 8 or 10 watts and just the 40 channels you are so limited. A nice antenna and mic also helps alot. With a nice kicker anyone that you can hear talking they can also here you but not if you dont have one. I really enjoy talking on them and me and the wife feel so much more private.

Have you done the upper channels such as 50 and higher. That was the trick when I was involved. There was no one up there except the real deal folks.
    You did not need a big pile of juice to get out.
    I did not set up my radios for this but some friends were very good with the gear.

Welcome to ingo.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Have you done the upper channels such as 50 and higher. That was the trick when I was involved. There was no one up there except the real deal folks.
    You did not need a big pile of juice to get out.
    I did not set up my radios for this but some friends were very good with the gear.

Welcome to ingo.

Are you still involved in it? It might be a good thing for us couple of Speedway guys to have the ability if the need arises. Thoughts?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you still involved in it? It might be a good thing for us couple of Speedway guys to have the ability if the need arises. Thoughts?

I sold all my gear a long time ago. We have been considering getting involved in some kind of radios but never made the decision as to what.
    Are you west side....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My old KICKER box from the late 1970's would cause my mothers hammond organ to say whatever i was talking without the hammond being turned on. I guess i was pushing enough power to turn on the tubes without AC power to them.

It was a 100 watt kicker, I think it is still around somewhere in a box.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    FWIW: If caught, max penalties are $10,000 and 10 years. (not to mention they will take the equipment) The FCC appears to be ramping up enforcement of illegally transmitting stations. Most of these are based off interference calls from neighbors or legal broadcasters.

Ham radio is a much better option... Take a few hours and learn the basic electronics, the rules, take a test and you are good to go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My old KICKER box from the late 1970's would cause my mothers hammond organ to say whatever i was talking without the hammond being turned on. I guess i was pushing enough power to turn on the tubes without AC power to them.

It was a 100 watt kicker, I think it is still around somewhere in a box.

You were lighting up the coils in the speakers. I never ran a base station just a mobile and I used to freak out my friends driving by and using their names. took 250 W to do this but it was hilarious.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    FWIW: If caught, max penalties are $10,000 and 10 years. (not to mention they will take the equipment) The FCC appears to be ramping up enforcement of illegally transmitting stations. Most of these are based off interference calls from neighbors or legal broadcasters.

Ham radio is a much better option... Take a few hours and learn the basic electronics, the rules, take a test and you are good to go.

^ This

The FCC now enlists ham radio operators as "spotters" looking for this kind of activity. 27MHZ is absolutely the wrong place to run additional power as harmonics are easily generated. Those harmonics can interfere with TV reception, and that is where the problems begin.

Top Bottom