• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I plan on purchasing either a M&P9 or M&P9c very soon. I had my mind made up to buy the full size but that was until I registered for Indiana CC permit. I don't really plan on carrying but I thought I should have the option. I want to get the model that is the most versatile. I am a medium size guy at 175 pounds. The main purpose of the gun is for home defense and range shooting. Everyone keeps telling me that once I get a handgun I will then want to carry. I didn't even think it was even possible to carry until I read Aaron1776 post. So should I get the compact or full size? I may be picking this gun up tomorrow, whichever I decide.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I want to be the first to say it.... Indiana does not have a "CC permit" it is a license to carry a handgun you can carry it however you please. I have a m&pc and it is a great gun.

If I could do it over... I would get the full size.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think you don't need to rush in buying. Guns will be there in the future.
    Maybe you can meet up with some fellow INGOers and try out some guns.
    I'm not sure what area you're in, but some places have Meet & Shoots.

Really, if you dress right, there is not much difference between the full and compact sizes.
    If you want smaller, there is the M&P Shield.

More important is to pick out a good holster and belt

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought the full size. I don't carry much, but I would have no problem carrying the FS. I have carried my FS 1911 and it was fine and it is much heavier than the M&P.

For me the extra barrel length is not a big deal. I would rather carry my M&P than my Model 13 with a 3" barrel.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You could get the compact, then added a shroud on a full size mag, which makes the compact grip similar to a full size... sort of a 'best of both worlds'?
    I have both the FS and Compact. Though I could carry either, I prefer the compact on my skinny frame.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I carry a 9c and I've owned a FS with the 5" slide. I prefer the compact for carry, because the shorter grip does make a difference for me. It's a well balanced gun and shoots very comfortably for a compact. Also, if you feel like you need more ammo or a larger grip, you can use full size mags with an x-grip (or carry the compact mag in the gun and a spare FS mag).

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've owned both and I've carried both and the full-size M&P9 isn't going to be that much harder to conceal. What matters most in carrying is having a good quality belt that is designed to bear a load. No Walmart specials, get a good belt. Then get a good quality holster that is designed for carry. Doesn't have to be inside the waistband to be concealable; dressing around the gun doesn't take much effort. I carry a G21 a lot and it is a much larger pistol than the M&P9.

Having said that, the M&P9c is a great gun about the perfect size, just a touch smaller than the G19 but it still shoots like a full-size. I'd opt for the larger M&P9 first, but that is just me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In the past, I had a full sized and a compact. I carried the compact most of the time I carried a pistol.

I now no longer have the compact. I can conceal the FS quite easily.

If you want to conceal a larger gun - some musts:

Must invest in a quality holster.
    Must invest in a quality belt.
    Must be willing to make clothing concessions / dress around the gun.

-J-

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    As a slender individual myself I can attest to the need for a good belt!
    I actually prefer a longer barrel, all else being equal, as that is more for the holster to "grip" (in my experience) to stabilize the weapon. I carry inside the waistband where, when concealing, I don't need to worry about the barrel/bottom of the holster protruding from beneath the hem of my shirt.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I think the 9c is the best of both worlds. Carry it with the small mag when concealing, and the full size mag with grip extension when OC/at the range/HD. I bought one strictly for it's versatility. Although I'd suggest an Apex trigger.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I JFC a full-sized M&P every day (it's mostly covered by an untucked shirt, but you can see it if you're looking for it). I am rather manatee shaped though, so there isn't much I have difficulty concealing. I find the FS M&P easier to conceal than my old Glock 23, even though the M&P is slightly larger.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I plan on purchasing either a M&P9 or M&P9c very soon. I had my mind made up to buy the full size but that was until I registered for Indiana CC permit. I don't really plan on carrying but I thought I should have the option. I want to get the model that is the most versatile. I am a medium size guy at 175 pounds. The main purpose of the gun is for home defense and range shooting. Everyone keeps telling me that once I get a handgun I will then want to carry. I didn't even think it was even possible to carry until I read Aaron1776 post. So should I get the compact or full size? I may be picking this gun up tomorrow, whichever I decide.

I'm not a 'big' guy - A bit shy of 6'0" and around 160 lbs.

I regularly carry full-sized, large frame guns (.45, .44 mag, etc.) with no issues whatsoever. I rarely carry IWB, preferring OWB or shoulder rigs, for the most part.

For YEARS I carried a 8-3/8" Mdl. 29, and even had guys tell me there was "NO way!" I could carry a gun like that and they wouldn't spot it. Yet, they didn't, even though I was standing right in front of them, facing them dead-on, wearing that gun under a regular sport jacket. Duh...

Additionally, I second (and third and fourth) a top-notch belt, and holsters. My primary carry belts were made by Beltman, double-thickness w/ a 'stiffener' strip sandwiched in-between. Not cheap, but not overly expensive, IMO. About $110 each, IIRC. IMO, ya spend good money on a good gun, don't get cheap when buying belts and holsters to carry it. My shoulder rigs, about $200 or so.

It's not really 'what' you carry, but 'how' you carry. It really IS that simple. :yesway:

Last edited:

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for all the info. You guys brought up some very valid points that I haven't considered. I haven't completely made up my mind on which model but I do know that whichever I pick I will need a good harness when I am ready to carry.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a big guy at all, and I can conceal the FS M&P 9mm on my frame quite easily. Just carry the gun at a 45 degree cant and wear an untucked shirt. You're going to have to do this to conceal the compact version anyway, so I don't see what is truly gained by going to the compact. You'll just have a gun that is harder to shoot.
    Try the gun out first. There are plenty of them around.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm a fairly slender guy, and I have OC'd/CC'd both the full size as well as the compact. As far as a range toy goes the full size wins by a small margin, I've found it to be slightly more accurate with my shooting style, and the recoil is almost non existent. The compact model requires that you change your grip slightly depending on which mag that you have inserted, the one with the pinky extension is preferable while the one without offers a shorter grip for easy conceal ability. The recoil is more definitive, but far from uncontrollable or unpleasant. After carrying and shooting both extensively I decided to make the 9c my EDC, mostly for weight reduction and the shorter grip length. I do have x grip adapters on my spare 17 round mags to give it a full size grip for range days or if I'm heading into some of the more unsavory parts of the city. I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, (which fits both sizes)

Top Bottom