• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I did a search and found nothing on this topic, so here is my question.

Today I got home from work and my mom told me we were going to go out to Don Pablo's for dinner. (ummm fajitas were tasty) So I quickly took a shower, put on some decent clothes, grabbed my G19 and IWB holster, and went out the door. I have a carry permit it is inside my wallet but I forgot my wallet in my work pants which stayed at home. So my question is, say for some reason an officer asked to show them my LTCH, would I have a big problem on my hands since I didn't have it readibly available?

Thanks in advance.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    This has been answered innumerable times:

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

You could be arrested, but you can not be convicted.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    IBTL.jpg

mightymauser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Crown Point
    its like not having your drivers license if you get pulled over. as long as you can prove u have one but forgot, you should be good to go. it will just be a headache in the meantime. thats why i try to keep a copy in all my vehicles, just in case.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Thanks for the clarification CarmelHP.

Sorry redneckmedick I did a search several times with different wording and nothing popped up.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Its happened to me already.... its in there computer. Dont worry about it. But try to remember your wallet and save yourself a 10Min speech on responsibility.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As an LEO I will say this. There is a Computer Program that can tell us if you have a LTCH. However, many times like all of our computers they are not working or the Control Operator (the person that handles the radio for us) can't or wont make it work. Also nothing says the police officer must try to look it up. I would assume that they would but they don't have to. They can lock you up and force you to prove that you have one.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    As an LEO I will say this. There is a Computer Program that can tell us if you have a LTCH. However, many times like all of our computers they are not working or the Control Operator (the person that handles the radio for us) can't or wont make it work. Also nothing says the police officer must try to look it up. I would assume that they would but they don't have to. They can lock you up and force you to prove that you have one.

As a LEO, Are copies acceptable?

FishersCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I have never let it happen, but I always assume that if it did it would be a royal pain...especially if you get a Barney Fife looking to bust your balls...

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The law does not say either way. I would accept oneas long as it did not appear altered. In fact if it was done on the proper color paper and laminated I don't think I would notice the difference. I always check the system to make sure that the permits are valid if it is up and working.

As a LEO, Are copies acceptable?

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    The law does not say either way. I would accept oneas long as it did not appear altered. In fact if it was done on the proper color paper and laminated I don't think I would notice the difference. I always check the system to make sure that the permits are valid if it is up and working.

Appreciate the info lawman.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The law does not say either way. I would accept one as long as it did not appear altered. In fact if it was done on the proper color paper and laminated I don't think I would notice the difference. I always check the system to make sure that the permits are valid if it is up and working.

I think this is an important piece of the puzzle. If you're going to make copies, do them right. White paper and packing tape probably won't cut it.

Rep to lawguns. :yesway:

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would like to see Indiana go to a Permit more like a drivers license other states have permits that have a picture on it or thumb print. It is not much more to do that and since we are going to lifetime license I would like to see one that lasts. The BMV could print them out on the system that they have. Not like they have anything else to do right?

I think this is an important piece of the puzzle. If you're going to make copies, do them right. White paper and packing tape probably won't cut it.

Rep to lawguns. :yesway:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I would like to see Indiana go to a Permit more like a drivers license other states have permits that have a picture on it or thumb print. It is not much more to do that and since we are going to lifetime license I would like to see one that lasts. The BMV could print them out on the system that they have. Not like they have anything else to do right?

Exactly! This is what I was thinking :yesway:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I keep a copy in my wallet, in all 4 of our vehicles, one in my camper, one in my tackle box, one in my range bag, one in my desk at work, a couple spares in my safe along with my original.

INGunGuy

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

I inquired to the State Police about this exact thing (no finger print though) because my thought of being charged $25.00 for a duplicate that is a mere piece paper was nonsense, that a rigid plastic license was more suited for lifetime use and the fact of having a picture on it serves as a legal form of ID since it is state issued license.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

While I agree that this would certainly make more sense, especially now that we have permits that need to last our lifetimes, I do like having the current ability to have several copies to distribute in my range bag, each car, etc.

Top Bottom