CCI 22lr quiet. Super odd performance Rat hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    I will keep it short. Ish. Probably not.

Savage Mark II FVXP I had it threaded and suppressed.

Originally I was rat hunting with cci sub-sonic lead hp. Great stuff. About 1050 fps according to the box. Super accurate and cold bore was in the same 1/2 inch hole as the follow ups at 15yard zero.

I felt like in tight quarters and shots anywhere from 12 to 30 yards that i would be better off with CCI Quiet at 710 fps. I didn’t want the bullet to carry to much power and have collateral damage.

Ok. So the Quiet ammo is great. I am using segmented HP and they are same hole at 30yards on a 15yard zero.

Daytime sight in is not to shabby on the sightmark 4.5. IR scope. Does the job.

So for the past 3 weeks. I would head out around 8-10 pm and walk to the chicken coops with the dirty rats. Perfect shot and dust flies up in front of the rat. Maybe its me. But this repeated and i would follow up my first shot on a target the same night and bullseye.

Sight the gun in during the day. No worries first shot during the day. Right on the money. Go out that night i see the bullet hit the dirt in front of the rat. Roughly 3-4 inches low.

Repeat that thought on target the next night and bam.
    First shot at night (cooler temps) i guess or something like that. First round is low. All follow up are right on the mark.

Never had the issue in daytime. Very repeatable. The first shot at night is always low and sometimes away by an inch or so. Found another guy with similar issue with the quiets after searching the web for answers.

I need to say this. I have shot close to 800 rounds through the rifle. Clean it and care for it. Lol.

My fix will be fire a shot off into the side field before approaching the coops.

The rats are super super skid-dish on the account that with the 1050 sub sonics. I decimated the population from 50-60 to about 5.

Most fun hunting I have ever had.
    The end.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Kill 'em, kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

Interesting problem but it seems you already have the fix.

Palmysery was the first place I ever lived. In fact my mom was born in the log cabin they moved to beside the church. Welcome to INGO.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a couple bricks of that CCI ammo Quiet when it was hard to find. I love the stuff. It is great when dispatching varmints that are too big for my air rifle. The accuracy is very consistent. I have shot it at the range for 50 yard practice and people keep thinking I am shooting a suppressed rifle, they are really quiet.

Last edited:

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    Kill 'em, kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

Interesting problem but it seems you already have the fix.

Palmysery was the first place I ever lived. In fact my mom was born in the log cabin they moved to beside the church. Welcome to INGO.
    I bought a small farm from a guy that had just over 200 birds in coops. All pets. Chickens, turkeys, and pheasants. Over feeding them. The rats almos t made my wife not want the place although the barn is 50 yard from the house. We love it here we have chickens and turkeys.

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    I bought a couple bricks of that CCI ammo when it was hard to find. I love the stuff. It is great when dispatching varmints that are too big for my air rifle. The accuracy is very consistent. I have shot it at the range for 50 yard practice and people keep thinking I am shooting a suppressed rifle, they are really quiet.
    For sure. I love the ammo. The faster stuff never has issues. Aside from the dud no and again. But rare. All my plinking ammo is cci blazer. All my varmit ammo is cci. Various loads.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    What if you just held high for the first shot?

Usually, the simple solution is the best one.
    ^ ^ ^ T H I S ^ ^ ^

Why waste a shot at the rats? Out of curiosity, are you stalking or at a bench of some sort when you're clearing the rats?

When I was a wee lad, my dad raised pheasants for the hunt club he belonged to. Shot the rats at dusk from his bedroom window with a Marlin 39A Golden equipped with a Weaver 4x.

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    What if you just held high for the first shot?

Usually, the simple solution is the best one.
    Its not consistent on hold over. Like i know my cold bore for my 308. But this is goofy low. And after the first shot its on even after the barrel cools off. But 22lr isnt generating a lot of heat. So im just stumped.

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    ^ ^ ^ T H I S ^ ^ ^

Why waste a shot at the rats? Out of curiosity, are you stalking or at a bench of some sort when you're clearing the rats?

When I was a wee lad, my dad raised pheasants for the hunt club he belonged to. Shot the rats at dusk from his bedroom window with a Marlin 39A Golden equipped with a Weaver 4x.
    Rats have attacked our younger chickens through the winter and cause this nasty infection that rots body parts off the chickens. They also eat everything and its a stipulation of me getting a farm from the wife.

I am always on a tripod hunting. So very stable. Killed bunches from it. But just moved to the quiet ammo not long ago.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Used to use CCI Mini Cap (.22 long) no powder, primer only. Great for squirrels, had a Browning BLR .22. The hammer falling made more noise than the round. A near miss hitting the tree would just cause the squirrel to spin his head to see what caused the noise.
    This distracted him from the sound of operating the lever action. I don't recall a squirrel having to wonder about much else after that.

MH

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldn’t poison any mice around chickens. They’ll even eat the dead mice.
    EXCELLENT point. I forgot about that.

Your comment reminded me I was at Prophetstown SP touring the Sears house a couple years ago and we watched chickens fighting over a dead mouse. Literally fighting each other for it.

I too try to limit my poison use because we have foxes nearby. But when I use it I pour it into the burrow entrances in hopes they die in the burrow. (Voles and Chipmunks)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Its not consistent on hold over. Like i know my cold bore for my 308. But this is goofy low. And after the first shot its on even after the barrel cools off. But 22lr isnt generating a lot of heat. So im just stumped.
    A quick question for you. Do you happen to clean your barrel after every hunt?
    Reason I ask is because a clean barrel will cause difference in accuracy until it gets a little fouled.
    I found this out when testing different rounds to find what my 10/22 liked.
    I found I had to fire at least 10 shots or I'd have problems.
    Another problem is when a rifle has been in the safe for a long period and you have oil inside the barrel for storage. It should be cleaned out before going to the range or hunting as well.

My father loves CCI CB shorts.
    I tried to tell him the longs were the same velocity and he could cycle them better in his rifle, but he thinks they are louder than the shorts.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    not an answer you your problem, but I have been shooting rats in my chicken coop with federal 22 rat shot in my 9 shot high standard revolver. last year when my neighbor was cleaning out her horse barn I shot 40 out of 44 shots in about 2 hrs. We have a ratinator trap also, its a live trap where they can get in but not out, once caught 8 in one night, we bait it with parrot food from walmart. besides the trap you also get a tub to fill with water that fits the trap, we just lower the trap and drown them.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Don't take this personally if this isn't the case:
    I've heard when shooting drills the first shot after you stop shooting to do a mag change is often a miss. In training I've done drills where a forced mag load is presented halfway to counter that. Since the first shot, or first shot after a lull is off, it could just be that you're not in the groove any more.
    I know nothing about you so I could be way off. Just presenting this as a possible explanation.

jerzyperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    St. Joseph County
    My dad has turned into that old guy shooting varmint with nothing else to do every day. He sits on the porch with his old anschutz and a mag full of quiets. He talks as highly of his varmint kills as he does his elk.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I used to shoot quite a bit of CCI Quiet, and have come around to the view that it is simply not precision ammo. It is going to have a flyer now and then, even in a good gun. I eventually realized that anything worth doing, is worth doing with standard velocity target .22LR. If it's bigger than a squirrel, CCI Quiet is not an effective killer, and if it's farther away than 20 yards or so, it doesn't meet my accuracy requirements for small animals. It's effective as close-range dispatch ammo when running traps, for when you don't want to tax your hearing while "checking your mail," but not much else. For serious work where missing has a consequence, it's just not in the same accuracy class as standard velocity .22LR, especially "target" ammo. You mentioned collateral damage as your main concern in choosing ammo. If collateral damage is a concern with standard velocity 22LR, then you likely have no business shooting CCI Quiet either in that situation, because if something goes wrong, that 30% power safety margin with a full 40-grain bullet is probably not enough to bail you out of whatever situation you're imagining. Unless you have a specific need to be really quiet (ie, dispatching trapped animals), I don't see the benefit.

(Anything marked "CB" has dismal accuracy and the applicable situation would be better handled by a precision airgun, but that's a different thread).

Top Bottom