• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikec4x

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2016
    Crown point
    Quick info. Newer Indiana license holder. Carry IWB about 2 o'clock. Mostly hidden under my shirt. Can sometimes still see the printing. I remodel apartments and Will be helping with an eviction coming up on Monday. The building owner knows
    i carry. My question is with evictions there is a LEO present. Should I keep my weapon in the car or continue to carry and see what happens. Not wanting to cause trouble but just because LEO is there I'm still within my rights. Technically private property and I have owners approval.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What's your role in the eviction? Are you physically removing the belongings inside or are you doing something else? I say let the po-leece do the po-leecing and you do whatever it is that you are there to do, so long as it's not to be there as "muscle".

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    Having a permit for your 2nd amendment rights says that you can carry in most places in Indiana.
    Actually drawing a pistol is a totally different conversation.

Mikec4x

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2016
    Crown point
    What's your role in the eviction? Are you physically removing the belongings inside or are you doing something else? I say let the po-leece do the po-leecing and you do whatever it is that you are there to do, so long as it's not to be there as "muscle".
    Yes my only job is to help remove belongings. Not trying to be a cop at all. Just wondering what you guys thought about the interaction with the LEO would be

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If you carry or not just remember that evictions like that are emotional times. Do not let the people get under your skin. You are just doing a job. Don't get involved verbally. Most likely the LEO will just stand there while the belongings are moved. They don't want to get dragged into a verbal altercation either.

The vast majority of times that I have gone in for a re-key after eviction the ex-tenant isn't there. They leave junk and maybe hide some stuff that will stink and rot, but they are gone and that's that.

I always carry, it is a non issue. I have had to gain entry on a couple places and then let LEO search to be sure the ex-tenant or his buddies are not still there. I stand outside, usually drinking my coffee and let them do what they do. Then I usually poke fun at the home owner about being a slum lord.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Keep it concealed, don't mention it, and let LEO do their job.

being in the property preservation ( foreclosures) biz for a couple of decades and working in Gary, South Bend In. etc. I have completed dozens of evictions which always require the sheriff's dept. be in control of all procedures. Before I acquired my LTCH ( many years ago) deputies would always ask if I was armed and when i answered no they would always ask why the heck not ? I also limited any conversations with the people being kicked to the curb, as was stated these are very emotional times for people.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Remember as in repossessions, it is a "civil process". We aren't even called unless there is trouble. As far as evictions, that would be the Sheriff Department's job (messengers of the court) even if they want to be involved.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I did evictions on occasion when I was a LEO. It never failed that the people who couldn't afford to pay their rent always had Big screen TV's, cable television, XBox/Playstaions,and expensive(to me at least) shoes and clothes all over the place. Best one was when I had to clear an apartment, already vacated, for the landlord's locksmith and came out with my uniform covered in fleas. Fun times.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I carry a can of deet in my truck for when I have to go in places that are bug suspect. It won't keep em all off but does seem to make them want to stay away for short periods.

My exterminator keeps telling me to put on the tyvek suit every time but that just doesn't happen.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OP, by suggestion is CC.... if you chose to do otherwise, don't be surprised if you're asked to put it away or cover it up.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I did evictions on occasion when I was a LEO. It never failed that the people who couldn't afford to pay their rent always had Big screen TV's, cable television, XBox/Playstaions,and expensive(to me at least) shoes and clothes all over the place. Best one was when I had to clear an apartment, already vacated, for the landlord's locksmith and came out with my uniform covered in fleas. Fun times.

I remember my first eviction many years ago in wonderful scary Gary 2 weeks before Christmas ( a few years ago the sheriff put a moratorium on evicts just before Christmas ) I asked the deputy didn't he feel like spit doing an eviction just weeks before Christmas and I was surprised he didn't get whiplash when he turned to me and said " we are working aren't we ". Former homeowner was sitting around watching a big screen TV with some of his buds and frying bacon in the kitchen, it did make me hungry !

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I don't care what time of year it is anymore, just like I don't care about the sob stories I hear. I have evicted pregnant women because I did all I could to help and got taken advantage of.

Not a slum lord. I communicate well with my tenants. I have never tricked anyone into getting evicted. They do that on their own. I have mouths to feed as well.

Have had tenants come to me and say they can't pay rent because they need to buy holiday gifts... well then my family has to do without. I save up all year long so I am ready to buy stuff. Holidays come around the same time every single year.

Played the nice guy game for far too long and lost out almost every time. It's a business. The bank doesn't care if the tenant doesn't pay... I am accountable.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I have a tenant who is behind right now. I've never had to evict anyone yet and not sure I'm up to it. Also the property is no longer close to where I live. Anyone looking to buy a house in Flora Indiana?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If you are going to evict then do it now rather than later. Remember they will have 30 days after they are handed the official notification from the courts. Send them a letter first thing in the morning telling them that you don't want to, but will be forced to file eviction. Explain that a lot of homeowners and managers now check backgrounds to see if wanna be tenants have eviction histories.

Hopefully you have a good lease and they are responsible for costs. You still have to pay up front but use that as leverage. Through good communications and a firm grip on the rules I have pulled people back on the straight and narrow. But if they don't pay, they can't stay.

Send me a PM if you want my non-professional advice on anything like this. First ones are tough for sure... but don't give in. Don't make threats toward bodily harm. Just because you are getting advice from a gun based website doesn't mean you need to let them know you even know that guns exist.

Very few of my tenants know that I carry daily. Best that way. I don't get into any politics or religious conversations with them. Be friendly, but not a friend. It is a business after all.

Top Bottom