• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My EDC from day one has been the Ruger SR9c. You can pick one up for a little over $400. Double-stack, 10+1 (or 17+1 if you use the extended magazine, which also gives you a full-sized grip if you need/want one). External safety (which I only engage when I'm not carrying it), ambidextrous magazine release (useful for us lefties), and really fun to shoot. I love the trigger (especially compared to Ruger's LC series): slightly heavy, short reset. And it chews up every kind of junk ammo I've ever put through it, as well as the Hornaday Critical Defense I carry with.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Since you currently have an HK have you tried the HK P30SK yet? If not try one with the lite LEM trigger. Hopefully they will come out with a VP9SK soon but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on it this year, but who knows.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Since you currently have an HK have you tried the HK P30SK yet? If not try one with the lite LEM trigger. Hopefully they will come out with a VP9SK soon but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on it this year, but who knows.

Yeah, I added that to my list after reading your review/comparison to the VP2K (very nicely done, btw!). Is the LEM trigger an option from HK, or is this an aftermarket item?

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    LEM is a standaed option from HK and probably the most popular especially in this model. I’m a 1911 guy from way back but have taken to striker fired pistols over the past few years. One advantage of the LEM over the SA or SF guns it gives you a longer trigger travel before you meet the actual resistance so in a panic situation you may be less likely to have a negligent discharge. The trigger take up is really nothing measurable and the Lite LEM breaks a little over 5 pounds. Holstering the gun you don’t need to worry if something gets in the trigger guard because you can thumb the hammer as you are holstering preventing it from firing.

The P30SK will take mags from your VP9 so if you want a higher capacity backup mag you can use one of them. It’s worth a try if you get a chance the LEM trigger may take a little getting used to as well.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    LEM is a standaed option from HK and probably the most popular especially in this model. I’m a 1911 guy from way back but have taken to striker fired pistols over the past few years. One advantage of the LEM over the SA or SF guns it gives you a longer trigger travel before you meet the actual resistance so in a panic situation you may be less likely to have a negligent discharge. The trigger take up is really nothing measurable and the Lite LEM breaks a little over 5 pounds. Holstering the gun you don’t need to worry if something gets in the trigger guard because you can thumb the hammer as you are holstering preventing it from firing.

The P30SK will take mags from your VP9 so if you want a higher capacity backup mag you can use one of them. It’s worth a try if you get a chance the LEM trigger may take a little getting used to as well.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I tried both versions tonight (LEM and "regular"), and I see what you mean bout the long take up on the LEM version. The DA/SA difference in break tension is significant, but I did like the clean break, especially on the SA shots. The grip felt natural after shooting with my VP9 for the last month or so. I have the LE version of the VP9, so I am assuming this is the same trigger mod as the LEM trigger on the P30SK??? I only dry-fired, so I am going on limited information.

I also dry-fired the M&P Shield, the Springfield XD Mod.2, and a small FNH FMS9 compact.

Then we pulled out the Sig P938 again, and oh my gosh! I was in heaven! It is that 1911 feel in a very compact firearm.

The sig was the smallest of the bunch, and felt the smoothest and the cleanest to me. I loved the trigger break, and the slide is just so danged smooooooooth! Of all the guns I dry fired tonight, I kept coming back to the P938. The size makes it a great CCW, and although it is a bit harder to shoot at that size, I got along pretty well with it a few days ago putting some lead down range.

Unfortunately, they did not have the Walthar PPS or the small Rugar to try, and I am very anxious to see them both, but my local cigar and soda shop does not carry either one. I do not like the feel of the Glock grip, it just does not feel as good in my hand like the VP9, the P30SK or the small Sig P938, but I tried one of the new Glock 43s in my hand tonight, and almost immediately put it back down. I don't know what it is with me and Glock, we just don't see eye-to-eye somehow (no offense to you Glock fans).

At this point, I am still leaning heavily towards the Sig P938. It just "speaks" to me. You know how it is when something just feels right? Before I "pull the trigger" however :), I want to take a closer look at the Walthar and the small Rugar (is that the LC9s???).

I can hear that Sig calling my name in my sleep... James... James... JAMES!!!! HEY!!! Come buy me!!! LOL!

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread and for all of the great advice. It is greatly appreciated.

James

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Sounds like you better listen to that calling or you will never be pleased with your decession. I think you are going about it the right way by actually handling all of the guns you are interested in. Good luck with your decessions and make sure you post some pictures when you bring her home!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Check out the Springfield XDs. I tried the 938, the Shield, and the XDs at the range one day and found I shot the XDs much better than the others. If at all possible go and actually fire them all.

2nd this ^^^

I had the opportunity to try the XDs 9mm, Shield, and a couple others side by side. Myself and my friend managed to shoot the XDs better and faster than the others.

Just my :twocents:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I tried both versions tonight (LEM and "regular"), and I see what you mean bout the long take up on the LEM version. The DA/SA difference in break tension is significant, but I did like the clean break, especially on the SA shots. The grip felt natural after shooting with my VP9 for the last month or so. I have the LE version of the VP9, so I am assuming this is the same trigger mod as the LEM trigger on the P30SK??? I only dry-fired, so I am going on limited information.

I also dry-fired the M&P Shield, the Springfield XD Mod.2, and a small FNH FMS9 compact.

Then we pulled out the Sig P938 again, and oh my gosh! I was in heaven! It is that 1911 feel in a very compact firearm.

The sig was the smallest of the bunch, and felt the smoothest and the cleanest to me. I loved the trigger break, and the slide is just so danged smooooooooth! Of all the guns I dry fired tonight, I kept coming back to the P938. The size makes it a great CCW, and although it is a bit harder to shoot at that size, I got along pretty well with it a few days ago putting some lead down range.

Unfortunately, they did not have the Walthar PPS or the small Rugar to try, and I am very anxious to see them both, but my local cigar and soda shop does not carry either one. I do not like the feel of the Glock grip, it just does not feel as good in my hand like the VP9, the P30SK or the small Sig P938, but I tried one of the new Glock 43s in my hand tonight, and almost immediately put it back down. I don't know what it is with me and Glock, we just don't see eye-to-eye somehow (no offense to you Glock fans).

At this point, I am still leaning heavily towards the Sig P938. It just "speaks" to me. You know how it is when something just feels right? Before I "pull the trigger" however :), I want to take a closer look at the Walthar and the small Rugar (is that the LC9s???).

I can hear that Sig calling my name in my sleep... James... James... JAMES!!!! HEY!!! Come buy me!!! LOL!

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread and for all of the great advice. It is greatly appreciated.

James

you just got your first handgun a few weeks ago...dont dismiss Glocks so soon...youll fall prey to the dark side eventually :shady:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    2nd this ^^^

I had the opportunity to try the XDs 9mm, Shield, and a couple others side by side. Myself and my friend managed to shoot the XDs better and faster than the others.

Just my :twocents:

You are probably right. Once I get down to the "end" and have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 handguns, I should probably take all of them out and shoot them if I can. Good advice guys, thanks.

The biggest problem I had with the XDs was the size. It is not much smaller than my VP9 (it is smaller, but not by a whole lot).

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    you just got your first handgun a few weeks ago...dont dismiss Glocks so soon...youll fall prey to the dark side eventually :shady:

LOL! True, but I have shot Glocks before, and actually will be out with a friend tomorrow who owns a Glock G23 (.40 S&W), and there is something about the way it feels in my hand that is just not right. I am sure I will get a chance to fire his G23 again, and will see if I go over the edge into darkness!

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    It's pretty crazy how many GREAT choices there are in this "category" !! I will add, just in case you aren't aware, the Ruger LC9S is their newer striker fired model. It's trigger is soooo much better than the original LC9. I feel it rivals the factory Shield trigger. One last thing, Ruger makes a 9 round extended mag if you prefer the additional real estate and capacity....LC9®, LC9s® 9-Round Extended Magazine-ShopRuger

Here's a great site to compare prices from a bunch of places....Search For Guns, Ammo, and Accessories for Sale Online - GunWatcher.com

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    LOL! True, but I have shot Glocks before, and actually will be out with a friend tomorrow who owns a Glock G23 (.40 S&W), and there is something about the way it feels in my hand that is just not right. I am sure I will get a chance to fire his G23 again, and will see if I go over the edge into darkness!

we have cookies :cool:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget to look at the Kahr P380, P9, K40 & TP45. I've fallen in love with all the Kahr Pistols. Not inexpensive, but the best seldom is.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have owned the Sig P6 & P290, the Kimber Solo, S&W 3913, S&W 908 and the Taurus 709. All single stack 9mm's. The Sig P6, S&W 3913 and S&W 908 were all larger framed but still very concealable while the Sig P290 and Kimber Solo were "pocket" 9mm's. The Taurus fell in between in size. I can recommend any of them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom