• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The word is that the FAA is looking at the possibility of changing the rules to allow cell phone calls on planes while in flight. What say you INGO???

I hate the idea. I don't want to be trapped several hours listening to someone blabbing away over minor details of their lives.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It should be allowed. The .gov doesn't need to be making policy for airlines.

People can already make calls on a lot of planes, and if people do not want others talking on planes then the airlines can make their own policies. The market will take care of it.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    It won't work. The cell phone won't give the aircraft any problems, and any interference from the aircraft to the cell phone is minimal. You will not get signal in the air as the tower's have limited range and are not aimed for above. There may be a way to do a repeater on the aircraft with directional signals, but currently it's only done via GSM modules switching the phone call to VOIP and over the Satellite Internet.

But turning everything off for TT&L isn't necessary.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    as a Flight Instructor I have to educate pilots all the time....the FAA has NO rules on cell phones...It's the FCC that has the rule of no cell phone use on aircraft. Just FYI

the original reasoning was that cell phones are line of sight and if in the air, and all people are on their cell phones, they could potentially lock up all the towers for hundreds of miles...

also, can you get in trouble using your cell phone on an aircraft since the FAA has NO rules on this? The answer is YES because the rules state that the pilot has the final authority on the aircraft..he may delegate that authority to a crew member (read: flight attendant) and they tell you to not use cell phones even though most attendants don't realize there are NO FAA rules on it and they are just stating what they have been told to say.
    If you do not comply you could be in violation and subject to a penalty.

Last edited:

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    FAA said it's good a couple weeks ago.

Press Release ? FAA to Allow Airlines to Expand Use of Personal Electronics

FCC is still in work, i think:

Q&A on Proposals to Expand Consumer Access to Inflight Mobile Services | FCC.gov

the original reasoning was that cell phones are line of sight and if in the air, and all people are on their cell phones, they could potentially lock up all the towers for hundreds of miles...

I'm not sure I buy that logic. Cell phones are not really line of sight, but they are directional. They fix to a tower, then jump when another tower has a greater signal. An Aircraft full of people really isn't that much of a load, though. Especially compared to a stadium. Think of the work load a tower (or a few towers) have to handle with 110,000 people in the same spot.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Early microprocessor based electronics were sensitive to radio transmissions. I think they may have been worried about that.
    During take off and landings, the pilot only has a couple seconds.

Cell phones don't seem to put out the power of a radio. But I know I've keyed up a radio in the doorway of the computer room at work, and the gates controlling the liquid steel started to open and shut on their own.
    That is a mistake I will never repeat.

But, things aren't the same, most planes have newer better protected electronics.
    I think it should be up to the airline.
    But SEI is right, and I think an 8 to 12 hour flight across the ocean would make most people want to kill someone.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    FAA said it's good a couple weeks ago.

Press Release ? FAA to Allow Airlines to Expand Use of Personal Electronics

FCC is still in work, i think:

Q&A on Proposals to Expand Consumer Access to Inflight Mobile Services | FCC.gov

I'm not sure I buy that logic. Cell phones are not really line of sight, but they are directional. They fix to a tower, then jump when another tower has a greater signal. An Aircraft full of people really isn't that much of a load, though. Especially compared to a stadium. Think of the work load a tower (or a few towers) have to handle with 110,000 people in the same spot.

A stadium would only have a load on a single tower or possibly two...an aircraft has a sight of hundreds of square miles. In the air if all aircraft were to be allowed to use cell phones the potential to saturate cell towers is greatly increased. This was the original thinking when the FCC decided against cell phones.
    Again, your post of "FAA said it's good a couple of weeks ago" is ONLY listed as electronic devices. This is overruled for cell phones by the fact the FCC says NO cell phones. Until they change their mind they are off limits. The FAA is going to allow use of some electronic devices such as computers and such. I have been pilot in command where all of a sudden all the the avionics went haywire. Come to find out it was one of those kids little computer like teaching thingies that got turned on in flight. Once it was turned off everything went back to normal.
    Computers, cell phones etc don't mess with avionics so its no big deal if they allow them during takeoff or landings where instrument approaches are used..personally I would hate to see them allow cell phones for all the chatter around you..it would make traveling in the back suck more than it already does.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I sure hope they don't allow it. The last thing I want is to pay the $$$$ for a tight seat in a confined space and then be forced to listen to Gabby Talksalot blabbing the whole flight about all their woes and love affairs. The problem is that today people have no restraint or respect for the people around them when it comes to that all important phone call.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Early microprocessor based electronics were sensitive to radio transmissions. I think they may have been worried about that.
    During take off and landings, the pilot only has a couple seconds.

Cell phones don't seem to put out the power of a radio. But I know I've keyed up a radio in the doorway of the computer room at work, and the gates controlling the liquid steel started to open and shut on their own.
    That is a mistake I will never repeat.

But, things aren't the same, most planes have newer better protected electronics.
    I think it should be up to the airline.
    But SEI is right, and I think an 8 to 12 hour flight across the ocean would make most people want to kill someone.

If you are going across the ocean, you're not going to have any towers in quite a few hundred miles, only option is satellite.

I'd be okay with it as long as airlines designated "quiet zones." I'd just pick a seat in the quiet area.

Put all the cellphone chatterbugs near the engines...

A stadium would only have a load on a single tower or possibly two...an aircraft has a sight of hundreds of square miles. In the air if all aircraft were to be allowed to use cell phones the potential to saturate cell towers is greatly increased. This was the original thinking when the FCC decided against cell phones.
    Again, your post of "FAA said it's good a couple of weeks ago" is ONLY listed as electronic devices. This is overruled for cell phones by the fact the FCC says NO cell phones. Until they change their mind they are off limits. The FAA is going to allow use of some electronic devices such as computers and such. I have been pilot in command where all of a sudden all the the avionics went haywire. Come to find out it was one of those kids little computer like teaching thingies that got turned on in flight. Once it was turned off everything went back to normal.
    Computers, cell phones etc don't mess with avionics so its no big deal if they allow them during takeoff or landings where instrument approaches are used..personally I would hate to see them allow cell phones for all the chatter around you..it would make traveling in the back suck more than it already does.

Help me understand, in my mind....100,000 people in the air or 100,000 people on the ground, that tower will still get 100,000 people connected no matter where they are. Also, how are you going to be able to get enough planes close enough together to connect 100,000 people to a tower anyways?

It's my understanding the rules for turning off wifi/cellular connections was to "protect the sensitive navigation equipment."

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've flown a lot in the last year or so and the rules have changed recently. You can use the cell phones while taxiing but they ask you to put it in airplane mode when they take off. Conversely they ask you to turn your laptops off and not use them until above 10,000 ft where they are happy to sell you internet access. I like to look out the window so it's a moot point for me.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    This would suck. I fly three times a month and I do not want to listen to some moron on a phone, let alone 20 or 30 morons on phones. Thank God for noise cancellation headphones and music.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom