• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    Ahh, I just posted a similar thread in the 2nd ammendment legislation forum after doing a search and finding nothing on it. I sincerely hope this gets approved and in turn opens more discussions with other school systems including the one where my children attend that is closeby. I wantto send an email to the superintendent commending him on pursueing this but am having difficulty finding the address.

Edit: found it. I urge everyone to send a positive email showing support.

daughtryc@centralnoble.k12.in.us

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't dislike this, but still feel many schools would be well served by allowing teachers and other personnel already in the school system to carry concealed weapons after being vetted and attending some training courses specifically aimed at stopping an invader the safest way. Even if the school system purchases their weapons and pays a stipend for their effort if would be effective, economical and sustainable

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I don't dislike this, but still feel many schools would be well served by allowing teachers and other personnel already in the school system to carry concealed weapons after being vetted and attending some training courses specifically aimed at stopping an invader the safest way. Even if the school system purchases their weapons and pays a stipend for their effort if would be effective, economical and sustainable

The Sheriff said since the schools may not be able to fund for a deputy in each school, the Sheriff is going to offer free training to select staff members and then allow them to carry concealed. The staff would have to be trained every so often to be able to continue to carry. :rockwoot:

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I against GFZ's, but you know that someday a teach will waste a bunch of kids if they ever let them carry in schools. It's inevitable. Anyone who's spent much time around a pack of 5th graders can tell you that they'd make any sane individual crazy...

It's a catch 22. If we ever get this lifted and can carry in schools, something bad WILL happen and set our gun rights progress back by a LOT.

Teachers are pretty high on the list of people most likely to lose their cool.

You want to fix the gun violence in America, give teachers paddles instead of guns. Whereby we can raise a nation of kids who respect law and rules and don't mouth off all the damn time. Do this and the next generation will be for the better.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I against GFZ's, but you know that someday a teach will waste a bunch of kids if they ever let them carry in schools. It's inevitable. Anyone who's spent much time around a pack of 5th graders can tell you that they'd make any sane individual crazy...

It's a catch 22. If we ever get this lifted and can carry in schools, something bad WILL happen and set our gun rights progress back by a LOT.

You want to fix the gun violence in America, give teachers paddles instead of guns. Whereby we can raise a nation of kids who respect law and rules and don't mouth off all the damn time. Do this and the next generation will be for the better.

Seriously? Are you trolling? If you think teachers are going to shoot up a school because kids are kids, I have to think you're crazy.

I do have to agree with the paddle thing, but... I don't see it coming back any time soon. Everyone's too soft.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    IC 35-47-9-1

As you said :yesway:

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

If the superintendent says a teacher can carry, then they are allowed to. There is no law preventing it (to my knowledge).

Also I assume the sheriff is not going to choose the staff. He said "select" staff will be trained. I assume the superintendent is going to be the one choosing.

The article also states that the sheriff made the same proposal to west and east noble schools. I know that the Biology teacher at West Noble High, Mr. Phillips is already deputized.

IMHO I think that they should allow any teacher who has a CCW to carry after getting approval from the superintendent.

Yodes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Noble County
    Um, the Sheriff doesn't get to decide who can carry in a school...
    If the school board approves, the Sheriff will deputize school personnel. So you are correct, the Sheriff does not decide, he trains and deputizes. I suppose the Sheriff reserves the right to reject a candidate if that person is judged by him to be a poor candidate. That's how schools can get around state and local laws forbidding weapons on school property. A deputy can carry a gun on school property. I don't know details of law, but safest and least likely to be overturned in court is deputize the teachers who will carry at school. This is great news. The Sheriff in Noble County is not expecting people to disarm, as is Obama, he is working to arm them.

Last edited:

Yodes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Noble County

If anyone believes this, and I do not, and has children in school they should immediately remove them and home school. If a teacher can't be trusted with a gun, they can't be trusted with our children. If I thought my son could not be trusted with teachers he would not be attending public schools, he would be home schooled. I'm unaware of teachers being known for instability. The teachers I know are stable and intelligent. If a teacher wanted to shoot kids they would bring a gun to school and do it..they don't need permission from Sheriff or school board.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If the school board approves, the Sheriff will deputize school personnel. So you are correct, the Sheriff does not decide, he trains and deputizes. I suppose the Sheriff reserves the right to reject a candidate if that person is judged by him to be a poor candidate. That's how schools can get around state and local laws forbidding weapons on school property. A deputy can carry a gun on school property. I don't know details of law, but safest and least likely to be overturned in court is deputize the teachers who will carry at school. This is great news. The Sheriff in Noble County is not expecting people to disarm, as is Obama, he is working to arm them.

The Sheriff doesn't need to deputize anyone. It's an extra, unnecessary step.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What if he deputized them?

A school corp in Illinois was talking about doing this and the plan to get around such laws was to make some of the staff auxiliary police officers.

Hhhmmmm... The more I think about this, the more it makes a weird kind of sense to me. Deputizing willing teachers would certainly work well with vetting them and getting them the proper crisis training... and might just work well with finding auxiliary funding as well. Most of the teachers I know aren't averse to a 2nd income/stipend even if it's small in nature. And I'm sure utilizing some of these deputized teachers for special events (traffic control, etc.) could take some of the burden off the normal deputies as well.

Not a bad idea, at least for an option, in my opinion.

:twocents:

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    "To the Daughtry’s knowledge, there hasn't ever been a gun scare in any of the schools" I live just down the street from East Noble High School and there was an incident a day or two before Christmas break. There was a rumor going around the school that someone was going to attempt a shooting that day so there where a lot of police there that day and nearly 75% of the students did not show up for school. I know I would not have let my children go.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I just talked to the super of my school system briefly this afternoon, in person, about the idea of armed volunteer security personnel in the schools. I mentioned retired LEOs and former military. He was receptive and invited me to attend a special security meeting that will be held for staff and law enforcement in February. He said it isn't open to the general public but I would be able to come at his invitation and present my idea. He is open to the idea and wants it to be presented in an overall plan. I told him if a such a program could be set up I would do once a week or every two weeks depending upon how many people who would come foreward.

He further said he would not support arming staff or teachers because a teacher should not leave his/her class to investigate shots somewhere else in the building. He seemed to have given some thought to that and at this point I can't argue with him. I'm encouraged that he is open to the idea of armed volunteers. I stated that a volunteer would be free to move about the school and be in different parts of the building depending on the situation: Around the entrance at the beginning and end of the day; the cafeteria or close to a play ground door if the majority of the students are eating or at recess; or close to a door being used by a janitor or other staff to take out trash or bring food into the kitchen. He agreed. Now whether or not the board and local LE agrees with this is another story. I did point out that not a damn thing has been done since the Connecticut massacre to stop a shooter once he gets into a school. He agreed.

We'll see.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I just talked to the super of my school system briefly this afternoon, in person, about the idea of armed volunteer security personnel in the schools. I mentioned retired LEOs and former military. He was receptive and invited me to attend a special security meeting that will be held for staff and law enforcement in February. He said it isn't open to the general public but I would be able to come at his invitation and present my idea. He is open to the idea and wants it to be presented in an overall plan. I told him if a such a program could be set up I would do once a week or every two weeks depending upon how many people who would come foreward.

He further said he would not support arming staff or teachers because a teacher should not leave his/her class to investigate shots somewhere else in the building. He seemed to have given some thought to that and at this point I can't argue with him. I'm encouraged that he is open to the idea of armed volunteers. I stated that a volunteer would be free to move about the school and be in different parts of the building depending on the situation: Around the entrance at the beginning and end of the day; the cafeteria or close to a play ground door if the majority of the students are eating or at recess; or close to a door being used by a janitor or other staff to take out trash or bring food into the kitchen. He agreed. Now whether or not the board and local LE agrees with this is another story. I did point out that not a damn thing has been done since the Connecticut massacre to stop a shooter once he gets into a school. He agreed.

We'll see.

The Local LE can't do anything to say no, as the Indiana Code allows for it as a specific exemption. ;)

As far as the teachers leaving the students, I always felt them being armed was more of a hide and wait as usual, but armed for an ambush sorta thing.

Top Bottom