• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been thinking about having this done to mine someday. I will eagerly following your results. Looks great so far!

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Be careful using brake cleaner...I have used it on lots of stuff but have noticed some discoloration from it? Its cheaper than GunScrubber but I am leary? Anything you would not want the finish ruined on I would say don't and be safe using known cleaners. Alcohol never changed any colors on anything for me like the brake cleaner! Nice presentation by the way. Tell the guy you are doing it for it melted in the oven and offer him $50 for it!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks for the caution on the brake cleaner, I may use laquer thinner instead. The directions call for baking after they are cleaned to ensure all of the solvent is gone and the piece is dry. I believe the heat will also help with the coating adhering. Thanks for the compliments so far, I will try to finish it up the first part of this week. Dchiu and I are already discussing the next projects which will be much bigger and more complicated!

:rockwoot: Jon

dchiu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Be careful using brake cleaner...I have used it on lots of stuff but have noticed some discoloration from it? Its cheaper than GunScrubber but I am leary? Anything you would not want the finish ruined on I would say don't and be safe using known cleaners. Alcohol never changed any colors on anything for me like the brake cleaner! Nice presentation by the way. Tell the guy you are doing it for it melted in the oven and offer him $50 for it!

Im very nervous as is with this whole thing. This dosent make me feel any better. So far I am happy with everything, excited to see the final result.

I went to the Para-Pro shop and random websites Google popped up for wood grips, but I am still unsuccessful in finding any.:( Not too many appear to be made for the double stack...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Heading into work bright (actually dark) and early tomorrow to spray this thing with cerakote! I had to buy an oven to bring to work. I'm really excited to see how it turns out!

Jon

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Im very nervous as is with this whole thing. This dosent make me feel any better. So far I am happy with everything, excited to see the final result.

I went to the Para-Pro shop and random websites Google popped up for wood grips, but I am still unsuccessful in finding any.:( Not too many appear to be made for the double stack...

here ya go.
    Slim 1911

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well I am definitely not a Cerakote expert. Will take more practice. A most of the small parts came out ok, but the slide and frame will need redone as I was not happy with the way they turned out. No biggie. I think I figured out the problem and its not a huge deal, just gotta use a different spray gun.

Top Bottom