• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I plan to coat a few guns but can't justify shelling out the cash for a sand blaster.I saw a gun from Harbor Freight that attaches directly to your compressor so I'll probably go that route for blasting.I'll use Simple Green to degrease.I intend to pick up an airbrush from Michael's to apply the coating.

Questions:

1)The NIC website says to use 120grt alox as blasting media.Where can I get it locally without breaking the bank?

2)Can I use 70grt slid and just turn the PSI down?

3)How low?

4)Could I just get a certain grit of sandpaper and use elbow grease?

Anyone who does Cerakote work please reply.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Do not use simple green on aluminum. It has chemicals in that will make aluminum brittle.

also, I wouldn't suggest hand sanding because whatever inconsistencies or flaws, no matter how minor are left on the work surface, when you paint, they will be magnified.

120 grit still seems pretty abrasive but, if NIC is calling for it, then that's what I'd use at their recommended psi. Also, blast media type should depend on what you're blasting. Different media for steel vs aluminum usually and you definitely do not want to cross contaminate the media by blasting one metal with it followed by a different metal later.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I just had a local guy blast my 1100 project, it was really rusty. I had to hand sand most of the crud off.
    Not Cerakote, but did the Gunkote last night. Finish is fine but the imperfections show.
    Screw it, it's a huntin' gun anyway ;)

I haven't abused the Gunkote yet, so have no test............but degrease, blast, then desgrease/heat/desgrease made for no probs in applying the finish, or any ill effects from the cure (cosmetic).

One aerosol can (small) was $32............and it looks like a little goes a fair ways.

Last edited:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I got a really nice blasting box I could do if for you if you don't trust the attachment, anywhere from 120-220 grit. Only trick is I'm up near fort wayne.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I plan to coat a few guns but can't justify shelling out the cash for a sand blaster.I saw a gun from Harbor Freight that attaches directly to your compressor so I'll probably go that route for blasting.I'll use Simple Green to degrease.I intend to pick up an airbrush from Michael's to apply the coating.

Questions:

1)The NIC website says to use 120grt alox as blasting media.Where can I get it locally without breaking the bank?

2)Can I use 70grt slid and just turn the PSI down?

3)How low?

4)Could I just get a certain grit of sandpaper and use elbow grease?

Anyone who does Cerakote work please reply.

Out of curiosity, how much are you planning to spend on all of this stuff and are you looking to cerakote as a hobby? That investment is likely to cost as much as having a certified cerakote dealer/sprayer do the work, depending on the colors and complexity of the work you want done.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    IIRC Joe Bell of Bell Precision Rifles may be the only certified applicator in the state, though many do application across the state. I've had 1 glock slide, 1 glock frame, and an AR cerakoted recently, it's worth it in my opinion.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Ah yes, I see it now, the crocs threw my eyes for a loop. I like how clean cerakote applies and the finish feels so much better than oxide to the touch. That FDE is smooth.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Haha ya, the crocs are my house slippers, never to see the light of day or the smell of outside air!

seanery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Indy
    I've been researching Cerakote for an AR I'm working on. It seems like a great finish. Well, last Thursday I purchased a Sig P938 Scorpion. As far as I know, the factory finish for the Scorpion is Cerakote, and I've gotta tell you that its great!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    5.45 AR painted by Allen M in Avon. The picture doesn't do it justice. A lot darker and more bronze in person. Don't mind the socks or my parents soon to be replaced floor.
    XDm9c in sniper gray

Last edited:
    Top Bottom