• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was thinking that I might be looking into getting a Garand M1 with part of my tax refund, but I also started looking into CETMEs. They appear to be pretty comparable in price. From a historical viewpoint, I would really like a Garand, but the CETME looks pretty cool too. Knowing that I can't get both right now, what do you guys think? CETMEs seem plentiful enough, while the Garand supply isn't going to be going up. Garand first, CETME later? :dunno:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    +1 I would rather own a Garand then the CETME, plus I have heard a few people have problems with their CETME's. Not all but some. Get a Garand.:patriot:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Do you want a historical piece or your best bet at a battle rifle
    Not disputing that the m1 isn't great but box fed pistol gripped rifles rule the world but I tried the ctme but I went cheap and paid for it

Your going to spend money on a good one no matter which you chose my 2cents

Don't try to poor boy either choice

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    M1..CETME's are not all that. Had one, underwhelmed me.

The M1 brings a smile to my face when I shoot it. 9.5lbs of American Walnut and steel, that in the hands of Leathernecks and Yanks helped liberate the world from the Axis.

I grew up sitting at the VFW with my Grandpa, hanging on every word, as men that looked up to, told stories of their march across France, Belgium, Holland, Italy Germany. The sand and heat of Noth Africa and the hell that was Island hopping in the Pacific.

My first M1 was a old, beat to hell, Blue Sky import when I was 15. I shot it, imagining that I was holding my own at Bastogne or shooting on my belly, trying to crawl from the surf to the coconut tree line on Tarawa.

As I grew up, well my wife says I have not, I learned more about the M1, from a not only a shooters standpoint, but from a collectors.

Now I have my favorite one, a M1 made in January of 1941, a year before the attack on Pearl Harbor.

img0431f.jpg

It's correct except for the barrel, having been redone in '50. Other than that, it's all correct.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had a CETME for years. I like it, and I've not had any problems other than magazine caused feed problems.

I have been looking at an M! though, and just recently found out that I can "check-out" an M1 Garand from the shooting club I belong to. :D

Thought I'd try one out here after the first of the year. Once I do, I know I'll be in the market for one.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Certainly the Garand would be my first choice. I own a CETME, and would give it up in a minute for an M1 is decent shape. The M1 is not only a more accurate rifle, it holds with it a good bit of US history, and is one of the last widely used main battle rifles of our country.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMHO, the CETME's basic design is quite sound and, when well rendered, can be a very reliable and rugged battle rifle.

The problem would seem to be that a sizable number of the "reworked" ones we generally see in the used/surplus market haven't been particularly well done. The majority of the ones purchased by friends and acquaintances of mine which were "remanufactured" by CAI have needed at least some tinkering to obtain reliable operation and a few required major refits or parts replacement.

Caveat emptor, as usual. IIWY, I'd insist on being able to run at least a few mags through one prior to finalizing the purchase. Perhaps it's just me, but nothing seems to sting more than discovering that one's dropped his hard-earned cash to buy someome else's problems.

With a CMP Garand, at least you have ready and reliable recourse if you have an issue with what you've purchased. While the old warhorse might not be as "sexy" as some of the newer stuff, it's still just as rugged, reliable and effective as it was 70 years ago when employed by the competant and determined Rifleman.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    An M1 would have been my choice too. I haven't been able to find one that fit my budget.

Instead of a CETMW, get a PTR91. Yea you will pay more, but the quality is better and less headaches.

Or just know what to look for and don't be overly concerned buying a CAI built Cetme. I've got one that will happily eat commercial .308win without a single hiccup. I do know that CAI messed quite a few of them up but most of those were easy and fairly cheap fixes.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    An M1 would have been my choice too. I haven't been able to find one that fit my budget.

Or just know what to look for and don't be overly concerned buying a CAI built Cetme. I've got one that will happily eat commercial .308win without a single hiccup. I do know that CAI messed quite a few of them up but most of those were easy and fairly cheap fixes.

I have seen quite a few CAI ****ed up CETMES. The PTR is a much better choice.

Thay have monkeys building their guns.

Top Bottom