• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, it's been a long, strange trip indeed, but I think Hell may be ready to freeze over.

I started carrying a handgun shortly after being discharged from the service.
    My mother was not happy about it, but she knew she wasn't going to change my mind, so she tolerated bumping into a hard object beneath my shirt from time to time.

Comments were made in both directions over the years, but I never pushed the issue.
    She would ask a question about my gun, or about my carrying it, and I would give her the best answer I could.

Years go by and the world changes...
    A few years back I started volunteering to teach the NSSF's "First-Shots" program for first time shooters.
    I talked mom into attending a class, and what do you know, she LIKED it!

Mom just came home for a visit recently and told me she was considering buying a handgun to keep at her home in Florida.
    I was blown away at the change, but I thought I'd take advantage of the change of heart.

I asked mom if she would accept a pistol from me for Mother's Day and she said yes!

I just sent her a Bersa Thunder .380 yesterday, and called to let her know it is on the way.

She told me she had visited a gun shop local to her to check out the Florida regulations.
    The nice people at her local shop told her they are running a Mother's Day special on the Florida concealed license classes and she signed herself up! :rockwoot:

Yes, it's been a long journey, but the outcome is SO worth it, even though it cost me a pistol.

GO MOM!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I hope you didn't just admit to illegally transferring a firearm across state lines by not using an FFL......................

I'm sure he lent it to her.

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's an awesome story![STRIKE] Get her on INGO or direct her to this link at some point.[/STRIKE] I am glad the two of you were able to allow time to do the work and not push the issue until there was an impasse. Now the two of you have something else to bring you even closer. You two are great examples.

Edit: Strike that. It looks like this one may go downhill.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm sure he lent it to her.

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

And the OP never actually said that he *didn't* send it to her via FFL. But it's INGO, so the assumptions will fly wildly.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    maybe we are seeing a trend? My 75 year old mother shot a bunch in NRA competitions as a teen but did no shooting as an adult - until last year. Now she has two handguns and is at the range often.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My long time anti-gun mother has changed her stance considerably. She now helps the girls and I buy guns and related stuff as holiday and birthday presents to each other, and she even shot a raccoon that was in her garden. After Sandy Hook she joined the NRA and sent a donation to the ILA. Floored me when she told me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My mother was not happy about it, but she knew she wasn't going to change my mind, so she tolerated bumping into a hard object beneath my shirt from time to time.

Did no one else read this sentence?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    That's an awesome story![STRIKE] Get her on INGO or direct her to this link at some point.[/STRIKE] I am glad the two of you were able to allow time to do the work and not push the issue until there was an impasse. Now the two of you have something else to bring you even closer. You two are great examples.

Edit: Strike that. It looks like this one may go downhill.

Yikes. After T Lex's comment, I don't think you'll even want to tell her about it...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Things are different these days and people's attitudes have changed since the 60s/70s.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    With the recent events in St Louis and Maryland becoming the new "normal" people that would have never thought about firearms and self defense as a personal responsibility are starting to see where the more enlightened crowd has been coming from.

Top Bottom