• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just let the gunk burn off and scrap them with the tool provided. If it starts to build up, take the emitter out, flip it over, and tap the carbon out of it.

I also read some people will run them through the self-cleaning cycle of their oven once a year or so, but I don't thing that's necessary. 15min on high with the lid closed and the emitter plates are glowing red.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just bought a Nexgrill a month ago. It came with both traditional grates and infrared plates. I used the infrared plates the first time I used the grill but wasn't overly impressed. I just cleaned them in the kitchen sink then stored them under the grill until I have more time to experiment with them.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Bigtanker has the grates you speak of...

20160620_183557_zpsuilt6s8r.jpg

Ours is like this too, and no matter how high and how long I cook something, I can't get the char marks that you do, Chez.

This is what our grates looked like new. Now they are just a dirty burnt mess because they are a PITA to clean.

grate25s483.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ours is like this too, and no matter how high and how long I cook something, I can't get the char marks that you do, Chez.

This is what our grates looked like new. Now they are just a dirty burnt mess because they are a PITA to clean.

grate25s483.jpg

I scrape it off 3 of 4 times (with pickle juice) then pull them off and use Dawn and a hose to get them fairly clean.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

grate25s483.jpg

Those do look like a pain.

This is the first gas grill outside of a commercial kitchen I've seen that makes grill marks this well. I think it's the combination of the very high infrared heat plus the cast iron grates on top.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

grate25s483.jpg

Those look like the "grill grates" I got off Amazon back in 2010. They did a pretty good job the first few times I used them, but then they became next to impossible to clean. They were just extra grates you threw on top of the regular grill surface. That's why I've avoided the infrared models, but I may have to look into the pro series Chez has when I replace my current gas grill.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside

grate25s483.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

That's the grates that I have. 2 or 3 times a year I just remove the grates and scrape them off, maybe takes 5 minutes. After every time I use the grill I try to let it burn anything off for about 10 minutes.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

grate25s483.jpg

That's the grates that I have. 2 or 3 times a year I just remove the grates and scrape them off, maybe takes 5 minutes. After every time I use the grill I try to let it burn anything off for about 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]
    I need to do the burnoff thing more often, but I'm always afraid I'll forget it's on. I usually set a timer.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I did that about a month ago... Wasted at least half a tank of propane. :facepalm:

Grates were nice and clean though.
    Lol... I have gotten in the habit of turning the tank off every time but leave to Murphy's Law the one time I don't follow my protocol I burn half a tank up.. I was doing some cooking on my turkey fryer on my porch the other day and forgot to turn the tank off (only turned the regulator off). Apparently my 18 month daughter saw the bright red knob on the turkey fryer and went to playing with it... I got home from work and though, "Hmm... I know that smell... Ah, propane... wonder where that's coming from? Somebody must have a propane leak, good thing it's not me, I always turn my tanks off." Haha... it was my tank; I found it later when I walked up on the porch and heard the gas hissing through the turkey fryer...

Top Bottom