• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I don't know much about him. There was a movie called "Charlie Wilson's War" that came out last year. Did you guys feel it was an accurate representation of what happened?

I have not seen it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    He was a great Representative for Texas. The movie was extreemly accurate... or my Texas History Class in H.S. was skewed.

cowboy_tipping_hat.jpg

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Well I suppose there is no use arguing now, Charlie Wilson Single Handedly Armed the Afghans in order to kill thousands of U.S. Soldiers Decades later :cool:

I certainly didn't say that, nor did I intend to imply it, but you can't deny the fact that he has contributed to the deaths of our troops, no more or no less than those responsible for our troops being over to begin with. I blame them all. I call it being very reckless with other peoples lives.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I certainly didn't say that, clear.... I did, satire...nor did I intend to imply it, agreed but you can't deny the fact that he has contributed to the deaths of our troops, sure I can, thats like blaming a gun manufacture for homicides on the street. his intent was a different war, no more or no less than those responsible for our troops being over to begin with. I blame them all. I call it being very reckless with other peoples lives. agreed

I guess there is as much common ground here as there is differing opinions...
    I can agree to disagree.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I guess there is as much common ground here as there is differing opinions...
    I can agree to disagree.

but you can't deny the fact that he has contributed to the deaths of our troops, sure I can, thats like blaming a gun manufacture for homicides on the street.

Gun manufacturers SELL their guns for profit, Charley Wilson GAVE weapons for an agenda.

If he can't take any responsibility for our troops deaths, then he certainly can't take any credit for helping the Afghans defeat the Russians...same weapons, no?

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I certainly didn't say that, nor did I intend to imply it, but you can't deny the fact that he has contributed to the deaths of our troops, no more or no less than those responsible for our troops being over to begin with. I blame them all. I call it being very reckless with other peoples lives.

No, I'd say the US Government contributed to our own troops deaths.

Charlie Wilson armed the Afghans against the Russians. THEN, after the war, The US left the Afghans high and dry... after we got what we wanted out of them. They weren't any better off than before the war started. We didn't help them rebuild. We didn't "spread democracy" to them. Nothing.
    We said, "Thanks for fighting the Russians for us. You can keep the weapons and tell your kids to watch out for all those mine fields! See ya!"

Extremely short sighted on the US's part.

Just think what would have happened if we stayed to help rebuild that county! They're would be a pro-western democracy budding in the middle east. They're would presumably be a lot less heroin shipments. 9/11 could have been avoided, and they're wouldn't be near as many terrorists.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    No, I'd say the US Government contributed to our own troops deaths.

Charlie Wilson armed the Afghans against the Russians. THEN, after the war, The US left the Afghans high and dry... after we got what we wanted out of them. They weren't any better off than before the war started. We didn't help them rebuild. We didn't "spread democracy" to them. Nothing.
    We said, "Thanks for fighting the Russians for us. You can keep the weapons and tell your kids to watch out for all those mine fields! See ya!"

Extremely short sighted on the US's part.

Just think what would have happened if we stayed to help rebuild that county! They're would be a pro-western democracy budding in the middle east. They're would presumably be a lot less heroin shipments. 9/11 could have been avoided, and they're wouldn't be near as many terrorists.

Had Charley never supported the fight to begin with, they wouldn't have felt like we abondoned them afterward. No reason to feel high and dry. Like you said, they weren't any better off, so we should have just stayed out of it. It should not be the US's responsibility to rebuild another nation, nor should it be to "spread democracy". We should have never been involved to begin with. Since our involvement with the Afghans, their heroin shipments have increased because it was the Taliban that was keeping it controlled. 9/11 could have been avoided had we never had our nose in their business, and there wouldn't be near as many terrorists.

Top Bottom