• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    My Mother is on SS, My sister and her 2 kids live with her. My sister is a welfare queen and does not like to work. My mother is going broke trying to cover all the bills on her SS.

Well I was trying to find a good internet and landline service. The 2 I started looking into are.... AT&T access and Comcast internet essentials. Both are cheap internet. Does anyone have any experience with them?? I wanted to find something with the combined service with unlimited long distance. Maybe even go back to AT&T net with a landline. What ever is cheaper.

Right now she has AT&T with Direct and it is $260 a month. My sister says she will help her out by watching as much tv as she can. (so they can get their monies worth.) I was going to cut the sat completely and get them an antenna.

Cheap net, but not going to dial up.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know this probably isn't what you're looking to hear, but the best way to save your mom money is by convincing her to kick your free loading sister out on her backside, not by finding more ways to enable her mooching lifestyle.

That said, I only pay $60 a mo. for AT&T 100MB internet. That's internet only. No cable or phone. And they have lower speed packages that are only $40 mo.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Verizon has unlimited voice/data for $40/month per line. You can use your phone as a hotspot for wireless internet. I'm not sure if this will work for your needs but it might be worth looking into.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you call Directv and say you are reviewing your options (don't even have to threaten to leave really) they will offer you a discount, typically for 12 months. I call back every year. This time they dropped my bill $50 a month and that isn't even with anything from AT&T from a phone or internet perspective being combined and my bill is significantly less than what you mentioned. Also there was no commitment added or contract extension this time.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I know this probably isn't what you're looking to hear, but the best way to save your mom money is by convincing her to kick your free loading sister out on her backside, not by finding more ways to enable her mooching lifestyle.

My sister is 50 years old. I have been trying to get my sister out of Mom's house for 30 years.... It ALMOST came close to happening. Then my sisters kids got into a freak car accident a couple weeks ago. Then my sister says, well mom won't kick me out now.

I will pay you to get her out!!! But you did not hear that from me.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Verizon has unlimited voice/data for $40/month per line. You can use your phone as a hotspot for wireless internet. I'm not sure if this will work for your needs but it might be worth looking into.

I hear so many people talk about having no landline. Around here it is ridiculous. You have to stand near the "one" window to get even a chance of having a clear call. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard, just a sec let me step outside so I can hear you, I could own an island out some where nice.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    If you call Directv and say you are reviewing your options (don't even have to threaten to leave really) they will offer you a discount, typically for 12 months. I call back every year. This time they dropped my bill $50 a month and that isn't even with anything from AT&T from a phone or internet perspective being combined and my bill is significantly less than what you mentioned. Also there was no commitment added or contract extension this time.

It is an option I have thought of... But thinking the more uncomfortable I can make it for my sister, maybe she will think more of leaving. I have last months bill sitting right here in front of me. $255.27

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

That said, I only pay $60 a mo. for AT&T 100MB internet. That's internet only. No cable or phone. And they have lower speed packages that are only $40 mo.

:+1:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My sister is 50 years old. I have been trying to get my sister out of Mom's house for 30 years.... It ALMOST came close to happening. Then my sisters kids got into a freak car accident a couple weeks ago. Then my sister says, well mom won't kick me out now.

I will pay you to get her out!!! But you did not hear that from me.

I actually have a brother-in-law that's pretty much the same way. He hasn't had a steady job in almost 10 years. He mooches off his wife and my father-in-law who let's him live next door in a property he owns. My FIL pays all of the bills and utilities. Every few months he claims he's going to cut him off but he never does. It's pretty pathetic considering my BIL has four kids he doesn't provide for.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I suggest limiting to the most basic packages.

Phone, local only. Tell the phone company to not allow long distance.

TV. Basic. No movies. Cheapest package available.

Make things difficult, not easier.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive got xfinity. They always have a special running for 19.99 a month for a year. At the end of the year and call to cancel before the bill is set to raise amd they give me the 19.99 all over again. Works for us. Mostly just running the phones and Ipad with it. Every now and then a movie on tv.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of the services I hear on the radio advertises if they receive SNAP there is a cheap internet only package available for between $5 and $10/mo. Comcast I think. But I bet they probably all do it.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    One of the services I hear on the radio advertises if they receive SNAP there is a cheap internet only package available for between $5 and $10/mo. Comcast I think. But I bet they probably all do it.

Yea that is the one I am looking into. The 5 and 10 is AT&T. But it says if you have children in school... and get snap. My Mom says she does.... but it is not her kids, it is her Grandkids. My mother does not have custody of them. Not sure if they bend the rules or if people just falsify the application.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Yea that is the one I am looking into. The 5 and 10 is AT&T. But it says if you have children in school... and get snap. My Mom says she does.... but it is not her kids, it is her Grandkids. My mother does not have custody of them. Not sure if they bend the rules or if people just falsify the application.

I know the answer but have to ask. Who claims the kids on taxes? If as I guess it is the mother/sister have her get the service in her name. Honestly if they live in your mothers house and the sister does nothing then your mother should be claiming them as she is the one caring for them. Good luck

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I know the answer but have to ask. Who claims the kids on taxes? If as I guess it is the mother/sister have her get the service in her name. Honestly if they live in your mothers house and the sister does nothing then your mother should be claiming them as she is the one caring for them. Good luck

In a real world that would work. My sister claims them on taxes. But why would she put the tv/internet in her name?? She gets it all for free now.

I agree with the rest of you guys, it needs to be a "little" more uncomfortable for her. The problem is she goes off on my Mother if she does not get her way. Can we say temper tantrum???

Hey guess what??? She voted for Obama.... Several times!!!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If your sister is 50, I'd imagine your mom is 70 or more. It might be time to consider mom making you her power of attorney. If you can get her to give you control over her finances, it won't matter what temper tantrum your sister throws, you'll have control. (Up to a point anyway). It's an ugly situation and I wish you the best.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    In a real world that would work. My sister claims them on taxes. But why would she put the tv/internet in her name?? She gets it all for free now.

I agree with the rest of you guys, it needs to be a "little" more uncomfortable for her. The problem is she goes off on my Mother if she does not get her way. Can we say temper tantrum???

Hey guess what??? She voted for Obama.... Several times!!!

Two simple words: Eviction notice!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    If your sister is 50, I'd imagine your mom is 70 or more. It might be time to consider mom making you her power of attorney. If you can get her to give you control over her finances, it won't matter what temper tantrum your sister throws, you'll have control. (Up to a point anyway). It's an ugly situation and I wish you the best.

This right here and it won't be pretty.

Top Bottom