• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Everyone says they're "rock-solid" with a trust because a lawyer wrote it. I hear a lot that the lawyer will have to back it up in court.

Really? Do you think that particular lawyer is going to still be in business when you die? That their firm (if any) will give a damn about your old trust?

Just use the paperwork to get your items, and let it go. When you die, you're dead, so you probably won't care too much. And the transferee gets a free transfer from your death anyway.

The only way I can see a trust and associated NFA items becoming an issue at all is either your family has some people that want-want-want regardless of what your will/trust say, or you don't have immediate family available to carry out your will and/or dispose of your goods. In those to cases, your property is administered by someone else anyway, and it gets ugly regardless.

If you want your kids/wife/brother/whomever to have your NFA items, write it into your will and include them in your trust. That's all your can do.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Your 69 dollar trust may be ok for a supressor or a 1200 dollar SBR but let's say you bought 6 transferable machine guns way back in the early eightys and now they are each worth 20 to 35 thousand dollars. Back when you bought them you were single and carefree, Fast forward 20+ years.( or you just bought a 5 to a 30 thou dollar MG ) and now you have a family & kids or your still single and you decide to do a trust to make sure your now highly expensive firearms go to who you want to have them in case of your demise. Are you still willing to gamble that your 69 dollar trust you bought online is written as well as a in state attorney that has passed the Indiana Bar and understands what verbiage is necessary for the state of Indiana ?
    When you buy or pay for legal paperwork you get what you pay for and nothing more. You 69 guys will never know if your trust was done correctly, Its your aire's that will find out.
    Oh and ATF does not care if your trust was written correctly. As long as your forms are filled out correctly you are GTG.
    This is nothing more that what I have learned in my 35 years playing with NFA transferables.

Given my experiences with the legal profession, anything and everything up to the judge's discretion when the time comes. Yeah, his/her decision can be total BS, but then you're looking at appeals, etc. Passing the Bar does not make a lawyer an expert in NFA or anything else for that matter!

There's no such thing as a bulletproof legal document, no matter who writes it. Holy Jeebus, we have a Supreme Court that thinks corporations are people and racism/discrimination are both dead!!!

For most of us, a simple trust is enough. If we had a large collection of Class 3 items, we'd likely be dealing with a tax attorney and an estate attorney (or any other number of expert attorneys in their particular niche). I suspect one of them would advise you when it's time to talk to an attorney more qualified than themselves regarding such items, lest they risk you going after them for malpractice/bad advice should your trust go bad.

Top Bottom