• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notmyjk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2023
    Franklin
    Bought a Barrett M82A1 50 BMG. In negotiations with my wife to get the gun, I agreed to wait until I paid back our savings for the gun until I bought a decent scope. This will take Im guessing until September (I'm paying it back with OT at work and side jobs in my shop building 4x4s for people).In the meantime, I picked up a cheap scope from Amazon. Monstruem 8-32x56. Will the recoil from this gun be too much for the cheap scope? Seems like to me it is not holding zero.

Attachments

• received_3368708920018991.jpeg
      received_3368708920018991.jpeg
      201.8 KB · Views: 42

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I don't know about that scope lasting on the barret.. it seems to me there was a set of Irons that Barret made for the M82 that might be a better idea in the short term.. well especially at most ranges your going to be shooting at in Indiana.

Model-82A1-29-BBL-MP.png

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Lets start a pool on how many shots before it's involuntarily reorganized. I say 1st shot.

I've reorganized better scopes (ACME 6-24) with less (7mm mag, 2nd shot)

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Bought a Barrett M82A1 50 BMG. In negotiations with my wife to get the gun, I agreed to wait until I paid back our savings for the gun until I bought a decent scope. This will take Im guessing until September (I'm paying it back with OT at work and side jobs in my shop building 4x4s for people).In the meantime, I picked up a cheap scope from Amazon. Monstruem 8-32x56. Will the recoil from this gun be too much for the cheap scope? Seems like to me it is not holding zero.
    I hope that there is a backstop somewhere that we can't see in the picture...

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Not a .50, but it was a hard kicker in its own right. I've got a Winchester Model 70 in .375H&H, which has kicked the crosshairs out of 3 scopes, Simmons, Bushnell, and a Nikon! It has subsequently worn an ancient steel-tube Weaver 3-9x40 for the last 18 years (and a couple boxes of ammunition). It doesn't look tactical, but that scope is built like a tank, if you can find one.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not a .50, but it was a hard kicker in its own right. I've got a Winchester Model 70 in .375H&H, which has kicked the crosshairs out of 3 scopes, Simmons, Bushnell, and a Nikon! It has subsequently worn an ancient steel-tube Weaver 3-9x40 for the last 18 years (and a couple boxes of ammunition). It doesn't look tactical, but that scope is built like a tank, if you can find one.
    Not a matter of who makes it but what it's built for. You can have the best brand name rimfire scope in the world but it'll get rearranged by a 375H&H. cheap noname actually built for it will work fine. I have a 375H&H too, in a CZ550, it wears a Leupold VX-5.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Would you mind sharing a photo of it ....Curious what it takes to stop a 50 BMG .
    In dry dirt/sand, not as much as one would think. Ive shot a bunch of ball at 200 and under, after a rain the cores will be laying on the surface. Lots of surface area for friction to slow them down quick.
    Mud id a different story.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    yeah, no chance that scope holds up to the recoil of that monster. maybe consider something for like a large pistol.. that could probably handle the recoil and would be a good short term solution.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    I would wait to shoot it until you can get a decent scope. Feeding that thing is not going to be cheap. Personally wouldn’t waste money sending them down range if I didn’t know where they were going. Continually trying to re-zero/trouble shoot optics will also get frustrating quick.

Top Bottom