• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I am going to miss my cheap hair cuts here in Peru when we leave on the 31st.

I pay S/.3 soles (about $1.25) at the barber shop up the street. This is average for a men's haircut.

My wife gets hers cut for S/.4 soles (About $1.55) at the ladies salon.

These aren't rat hole type places. You get a good cut from them.

The closest I can get when I am back is $8 at The Fisherman's Barber shop on Pine Island Plaza by Melensdad's Cigar shop.

I am a Barbershop kinda guy as well I do not do "stylists" I like my Barbershop to have wood paneling on their walls a mustard yellow or puke green barber chair. (with the ashtray in the arm). I prefer the guy cutting my hair to be an old codger who has all the best stories from around town.

He has to have the oldest grossest coffee, 1973 hunting mags and the cheapest price in town!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    When I moved out to Vegas years ago, my uncle got a "great" deal on a haircut for $5. The man and woman who ran the place ended up being completely bat crap crazy. In the 20 minutes we were there the woman was about to cut an argumentative customer's throat with the scissors until her husband physically removed the man from the shop. She smiled and looked at my uncle and told him "chair's open!" He actually went through with the haircut and it really wasn't too bad. The experience wasn't worth the $5 though.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Nothing beats free.

I've been cutting my own hair since I was 15 and only a few of those years were a buzz cut.
    Same here, I've spent maybe $30 on haircut supplies in that time and tidy up the haircut every other week; over the last 10 years that adds up to a few guns worth of $$ saved compared to an $8 haircut at once every other month.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I am a Barbershop kinda guy as well I do not do "stylists" I like my Barbershop to have wood paneling on their walls a mustard yellow or puke green barber chair. (with the ashtray in the arm). I prefer the guy cutting my hair to be an old codger who has all the best stories from around town.

He has to have the oldest grossest coffee, 1973 hunting mags and the cheapest price in town!

Sounds like Ted's barber shop in North Liberty. I haven't been to him in yrs(I'm getting thin an just use the clipppers at home).
    Wood paneling...Check
    God awful paint/wallpaper..check
    1973 hunting mags...check
    Best stories in town...check
    I'm trying to remember, I think he told me he graduated barber school in the late 40's early 50's.
    He's cut my Dad's hair, my StepDads hair, my hair, and my youngest boys hair

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    My wife used to cut my hair and my son's hair but his hair is so thick the clippers kept on getting wrecked.

I had to start taking him to the barber and thought well if he's going I'll get mine done as well.

I still remember the look on the barber's face the first time he cut my son's hair. He stopped and looked at his clippers.

I said it's not your clippers it's his hair.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I love old barber shops. Especially where at the end of the haircut, they put the hot lather around your ears and on your neck, and then use a straight razor to do the final touch-up. Not many places do that any more. They are usually cheaper than the foo-foo stylist that has the hair cutting abilities of a blind, spastic automaton.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I love old barber shops. Especially where at the end of the haircut, they put the hot lather around your ears and on your neck, and then use a straight razor to do the final touch-up. Not many places do that any more. They are usually cheaper than the foo-foo stylist that has the hair cutting abilities of a blind, spastic automaton.
    Yes hot lather and straight razor is a must. Every once in a while I will treat myself to a barbershop shave, hot towels and all. Man that is relaxing!

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I gave up on going places to get my hair cut several years ago. Most of the big name places can't do a good flat top. I bought a set of clippers & now I do my own. If I mess up I buzz it & try again in a couple of weeks.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Nothing beats free.

I've been cutting my own hair since I was 15 and only a few of those years were a buzz cut.

+1 I started in college, out of necessity, and have been doing it ever since.

I started cutting other people's hair in college to make a few extra bucks. Figured it was easy enough to start cutting my own. Now, I've been cutting my own hair for about 15 years and have spent maybe $100 total in that 15 years on supplies. I now have 2 boys and can't believe how much I have saved over the years.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I started cutting other people's hair in college to make a few extra bucks. Figured it was easy enough to start cutting my own. Now, I've been cutting my own hair for about 15 years and have spent maybe $100 total in that 15 years on supplies. I now have 2 boys and can't believe how much I have saved over the years.
    I agree that back home it makes sense to cut your own and your boys when possible.

But $1.25 every 6 weeks is $10/year and I can't buy good clippers that cheap in 5 years of haircuts down here.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I used to cut my hair, started in college out of necessity and cut my buddies hair for beer.

Now I gladly pay the barber for his services and the feel of hot lather, a straight razor, and quick shoulder massage!

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I used to cut my hair, started in college out of necessity and cut my buddies hair for beer.

Now I gladly pay the barber for his services and the feel of hot lather, a straight razor, and quick shoulder massage!
    a quick shoulder massage at the barbers?...what? I think you are going someplace else than a barber shop if you're getting a massage!

I like my barber and all but I am sorry i don't let another guy give me "a massage"....dude!

Top Bottom