• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2013
    West of Indy
    I would like to get myself and my boy into reloading some ammo . I did a little when I was younger but it's been awihle and there are new things out there . Any ideals on some cheap starter kits?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Lee makes a couple of good options. They have a 4-die turret press that's really nice.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you go with the Lee turret, make sure you get the one with the black pipe handle and not the cast aluminum one. The one with the cast aluminum handle is lighter duty all around, including a smaller center piston under the shell holder.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I got mine from midway USA. I got the lee breech lock single stage press kit. It has about all the starter stuff included. I did get a electronic digital scale and highly suggest a reloading manual. The press kit was about $125 and the book is less than $30. Then you will need the appropriate dies for your caliber about $30 range give or take. After that you need powder and primers. Powder is around $30 per pound and primers about $4+ per hundred. Good luck hope that helps

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The Lee Classic Turret Press is the model you want, if loading a reasonable amount of pistol ammo is the goal and you don't want to spend a lot of money on equipment. Midway has them, as well as Midsouth and others.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2013
    West of Indy
    Thanks ill have to look at midway and see what I can come up with . I was realy looking to find a used set up that somebody was wanting to get rid of . But I will look at midway. Is there one particular powder to use or is it personal preference

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I also suggest that you call Andrew at Profire. They are an INGO advertiser. I have found often that once you add shipping and handling, I can buy from Profire at nearly the same cost.
    OP, when you buy powder and primers online, you will also pay a Haz-Mat fee on the shipping.
    Profire Arms & Supply, Inc.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    Take the class at Profire before you do anything. It was the first thing I did and it was more than worth the time and cost. It might save you from some serious hurt.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I just bought the Lee Turret which replaced my Redding single stage press. The press is compact and an excellent choice. I also bought a powder measure but its not a necessity. I like Profire they are local and very knowledgable and prices are very competative. In addition its great to talk make friends and pick their brain.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Take the class at Profire before you do anything. It was the first thing I did and it was more than worth the time and cost. It might save you from some serious hurt.

I have a lot of respect for Andrew and the guys at Profire...I was just in there the other day and look forward to visiting them at their new shop, when they move. However, even Andrew would tell you that the very first thing you should do, even before taking his class, is to pick up a quality reloading book and read the chapters in them that instruct you in how to reload safely. In fact, he'd tell you to read two books or read the book you bought TWICE, before taking his class. The reading will get you up-to-speed on theory, while his class will deliver the hands-on instruction that gives folks confidence to move forward with a potentially dangerous hobby. Modern Reloading, Volume 2, by Richard Lee is a can't miss book. The reloading section found in the Lyman Reloading Manual, 49th Edition, is also very good. There is a lot of great information to be found in these books that you won't get in a class, due to time constraints.

Back when I got into reloading, there was no such thing as a reloading "class". Your uncle or a neighbor showed you the basics, but mostly you learned the old-fashioned way...with a book. For those who learn well from written instruction, there really is no need for a class, but it can shorten the learning curve considerably to have an experienced reloader show you the process. Also, there are a lot of good reloading videos online these days...just watch a bunch of them because not all of them are truly good.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Start here on INGO: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-reload-but-you-don%92t-know-where-begin.html

Decide how much you want to reload (100 rounds a month, 600 rounds a week, etc) and what type of reloading you want to do (one pistol caliber, five pistol and three rifle, etc). Knowing where you plan to end up is the best way to start.

Cheapest route is a hand loader but that gets old quickly if you load very many rounds.

Next cheapest is a single stage press. Most reloaders seem to keep a single stage around even after acquiring progressives later.

I use a Dillon XL 650 progressive press which is definitely not the cheapest way to start but a great press if you want to load a lot of ammo. Dillon quality is great and their warranty is outstanding (think old time Craftsman tools). The usual advice is to start with a single stage press (RCBS Rockchucker or similar presses from other manufacturers). I started with the Dillon XL 650 because I knew that I would be loading enough that a single stage would be too slow and I am smarter than most people so the usual advice did not apply to me. :n00b: I have an RCBS Rock Chucker on order now. I still love my Dillon XL 650 and it will continue to be my primary press. However, there are times when a single stage comes in handy. If I were starting over I would still buy my progressive press but I would buy a single stage first since I am going to end up with one anyway and it would have been a cheaper way to get started to see if I enjoyed reloading (which I do).

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I purchased a Lee Turret Press 20+ years ago and it's served me well through the present day. There are slightly cheaper options like the hand presses and the single-stage versions but you will very quickly grow tired of the drawbacks of these for very little $$ savings.

Top Bottom