Cheating poachers almost make me want to quit hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    My uncle called this morning asking if I heard about a huge buck being poached. I believe its the 16 pointer that I have had on camera for the last two years. :xmad: It just makes me wonder why I try to do it the legal way? I mean I know I didnt own that buck but it pisses me off that someone took him illegally. The landowner is supposed to call me tonight so I can get more details. I believe they actually caught the guy. I hope they fry his butt. Has anyone around Bartholomew Co heard about this?

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sorry to hear that. Can only imagine the frustration.
    How did the guy poach that deer? spot lighting, trespassing, baiting??

You should try to see if you can show up for his hearing. Maybe even talk to the prosecuter
    Hopefully he left his genes in a few doe over the years and you see some of his off spring in the next couple of years.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Sorry to hear that. Can only imagine the frustration.
    How did the guy poach that deer? spot lighting, trespassing, baiting??

You should try to see if you can show up for his hearing. Maybe even talk to the prosecuter
    Hopefully he left his genes in a few doe over the years and you see some of his off spring in the next couple of years.

Just talked to landowners wife. They didnt catch the guy:xmad:. Buck was 18 points and shot with a rifle. Left it lay. He called the DNR. The thing is last year the same thing happened on the same property. That makes two huge bucks both rifle shot. They think it someone shooting them off the roadway. Spotlighting them and losing them when they didnt drop it in its tracks. Going down tonight to see if its the buck I have had on cam for the last two years.

johncarries

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2015
    South Bend
    Anti-hunter most likely or a jealous hunter upset maybe? Did a hunter ask for permission to hunt the property lately and received a negative welcome or response from the person asked?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Taking any animal illegally just to have the antlers on the wall...is kind of like photoshopping your picture into another picture of France, hanging it on the wall, and telling everyone about your wonderful vacation in France.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Anti-hunter most likely or a jealous hunter upset maybe? Did a hunter ask for permission to hunt the property lately and received a negative welcome or response from the person asked?

He has ran people off all the way from Indy. Its amazing how many people try and trespass at this place. But I personally think its just road hunters.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Please, try to remain poised and hunt legally. Don't let the "bad apples" spoil the bushel.

I wont I know there are other nice bucks in the area. That buck has definitely sowed some seed over the last few years, but it still frustrating because its so close to home.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not sure how big the property or how much you are interested in sharing your permission to hunt that land but maybe talk to the landowner about allowing a CO to have permission to hunt the land as well or a local LE officer who you or he knows personally

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    That stinks. I hope its not your target buck. Poachers pizz me off too. I spend days and days doing food plots, scouting, etc and some jackwagon takes 4 seconds to shine one and shoot it.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Not sure how big the property or how much you are interested in sharing your permission to hunt that land but maybe talk to the landowner about allowing a CO to have permission to hunt the land as well or a local LE officer who you or he knows personally

Yes he did give permission to the DNR to be there. It would be a perfect spot for robo deer.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    2 guys just got arrested poaching an 8-pointer in Guilford, Indiana last weekend. Get this : the DNR and police won't release their names only their ages, they said they were both from Tennessee, no hunting license (obvious), confiscated their rifles which were both illegal to hunt with in Indiana even if it had been gun season ( a .30-06 and a .270) and all they will probably get is a fine and lose their rifles. The DNR did donate the meat to a local family in need. These guys were spotlighting bucks at night and apparently had been doing it for a few weeks. Someone called the DNR on them and they got caught. Why won't they release their names? It's not like they are connected to anyone of power or money here. Also, I wonder what the DNR does with their confiscated rifles?

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Most poachers like this just want the thrill of killing something. Some fall prey to antler envy or peer pressure to get a nice buck. One ring of poachers in southern Indiana turned out to be teenagers, including girls. They killed dozens, often leaving them lay. It is sickening.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah I have dealt with thrill killers before. They get bold, do it in daylight while you are out hunting and dump deer in a pile where you will find them. It's sickening no matter how it's done.

Top Bottom