• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    I put my 1911-22 through some grueling fun today. I reloaded yet another magazine, walked up to the line, raised the gun for a sight picture and something was wrong. Took a moment or two, then I realized the rear sight was Gone! Oh S*** said I. Started looking in the grass around me no luck. Then I spied it on the table where I laid the gun earlier.

The little itty-bitty screw must of loosened up after a couple of hundred rounds. So, this probably isn't anything new. Has this happened to anyone here? if so, what's your fix. was it permanent? Do I just invest in a jeweler's screw driver for the bag?

The McGiver in me says to drill a small hole directly underneath the screw slightly larger the screw diameter, about a 1/16th - 3/32nd deep. might not loose the sight as much and I will just snug it up every hundred rounds or so. It will be a pita to true up the sight now and really don't want to make a habit of it.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Replace the screw with some loc-tite under it.

Yes, Loctite would probably do the trick. On really small screws though Loctite will forever seize the threads :( I am new to this gun and wonder if later I'd want to change the rear sight. I could drill it out no problem if needed. just playing the tape all the way through ya know. Thanks Mgderf, I'm thinkin'

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Yes, Loctite would probably do the trick. On really small screws though Loctite will forever seize the threads :( I am new to this gun and wonder if later I'd want to change the rear sight. I could drill it out no problem if needed. just playing the tape all the way through ya know. Thanks Mgderf, I'm thinkin'
    There is two different types of Loctite. A blue bottle i believe and a brown bottle. I can't remember which does which. But they behave slightly differently. You could put a small dab of superglue on the tread.. essentially would do the same thing, But superglue is strong, but not that strong where it would forever fuze the two together like that..

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Red Loctite is ment to be permanent, Blue Loctite is ment if you intend to remove the parts again.
    You could also steal a bottle of your wife/girlfriends nail polish & put a little dab on the threads before reassembling the rear sight.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    You'll need to do more to the gun than just re-installing the set screw and loctiting it down. I know, I had one...for a short while.

The reason it likely vibrated out, was because there is a HUGE casting/parting line directly under the rear sight mounting pad, right where the set screw tightens against the pad's surface. If this parting line isn't filed smooth, there will be an uneven surface there and the set screw won't securely lock onto it for any length of time, where it WILL come loose again.

A small jewelers file makes short work of that parting line, then the set screw will have something flat and solid to lock onto, securely holding the sight. :)

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    The reason it likely vibrated out, was because there is a HUGE casting/parting line directly under the rear sight mounting pad, right where the set screw tightens against the pad's surface. If this parting line isn't filed smooth, there will be an uneven surface there and the set screw won't securely lock onto it for any length of time, where it WILL come loose again.

I saw the parting line when I put it back on and thought about filing that smooth. That will also make it easier to pound on with my micrometer - want to be accurate you know :D

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    An old trick used by the Asians. Put a dab of finger nail polish on top of the screw so it over laps on the surface. It will prevent the screw from turning by itself but you can remove the screw if you want to adjust the sight.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    An old trick used by the Asians. Put a dab of finger nail polish on top of the screw so it over laps on the surface. It will prevent the screw from turning by itself but you can remove the screw if you want to adjust the sight.
    ...Just like adjusting the IF stage in a cheap receiver :D

backfire says: "You'll need to do more to the gun than just re-installing the set screw and loctiting it down. I know, I had one...for a short while."
    Okay, I'm all ears. what else would be helpful? any secrets in this cheap shooter? :n00b:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    ...Just like adjusting the IF stage in a cheap receiver :D

backfire says: "You'll need to do more to the gun than just re-installing the set screw and loctiting it down. I know, I had one...for a short while."
    Okay, I'm all ears. what else would be helpful? any secrets in this cheap shooter? :n00b:
    What????

I already gave you the tip on how to permanantly fix the rear sight set screw from falling out, cause and effect of why it occurs, etc... So you're asking the same thing again?????

That's it, no secrets........ :coffee:

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    What????

I already gave you the tip on how to permanantly fix the rear sight set screw from falling out, cause and effect of why it occurs, etc... So you're asking the same thing again?????

That's it, no secrets........ :coffee:

Whoops, I misunderstood. I thought there was other possible problem areas I could address. Just a :n00b:

Top Bottom