• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    My locked vehicle was "Gone in 60 seconds" and like a dummy I left my Sig Sauer P229 40 S&W with a laser max installed in the glove box. I reported it instantly and the vehicle was found the next day with no gun. After a year I was notified of a trace through my gun shop and found out Chicago PD had it. I was told that they do not return them. After 4 1/2 years of calling everyone in their system My Sig was returned to me and to my surprise there was no marks on the gun anywhere. It still looked like new except the battery died on the laser. I know that I am one of thousands that will never see their firearm returned as I have heard that they sell the "UNCLAIMED" property amoungst themselves. I just want to share this with my fellow members to keep trying to get your propery back and don't give up, You might get it back. P.S. Talk nicely and say Bless You, It worked for me. :)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'll bet that Obama falls off his throne when he hears about this. His pit-bull, Eric Holder will be on the next flight to 2nd City to roll some heads.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    My G26 was stolen out of my car back in 2006, I called the local PD to ask about it and they treated me like I was asking for a nuclear waepon. and in the end I was told you never see it again.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    WHAT, they actually returned an gun from evil chicago.Dude ,buy a lottery ticket cause you is lucky.I actually had one of my guns returned to me that was stolen after 20 yrs & it had been in the evidence room since 1995 ,got yours a little quicker

Pointman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bainbridge
    I guess too many of Chicago's thugs moved to DC and your case slipped through the cracks. Congrats either way and yes, lottery ticket time.

I'll bet that Obama falls off his throne when he hears about this. His pit-bull, Eric Holder will be on the next flight to 2nd City to roll some heads.

My pit bull is offended :):

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    King Dick the Short will have to fire someone. We all know that anything more dangerous than a peashooter goes into the furnance at Inland (even, rumor has it, political foes).

Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    I had one of my first pistols stolen out of a vehicle back in 1999. I reported it stolen immediately, and similar to your story, 4 years later I was contacted by Chicago PD. They informed me that they had recovered my firearm at a homicide scene. They would not tell me if my gun was the murder weapon, or any other details, (of course- I'm just nosey, and didn't want the bad juju.) But the real kicker was that, when I asked them to ship my firearm to me, they refused. The guy was kind of a jerk, and chuckled "If you want this gun back, your gonna have to drive up here and pick it up from the PD." O' yeah they said I had a week to get it, or it would be destroyed.
    After reading the earlier post, it makes me wonder if someone in the PD did not want it.

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    I had one of my first pistols stolen out of a vehicle back in 1999. I reported it stolen immediately, and similar to your story, 4 years later I was contacted by Chicago PD. They informed me that they had recovered my firearm at a homicide scene. They would not tell me if my gun was the murder weapon, or any other details, (of course- I'm just nosey, and didn't want the bad juju.) But the real kicker was that, when I asked them to ship my firearm to me, they refused. The guy was kind of a jerk, and chuckled "If you want this gun back, your gonna have to drive up here and pick it up from the PD." O' yeah they said I had a week to get it, or it would be destroyed.
    After reading the earlier post, it makes me wonder if someone in the PD did not want it.

this is more like the stories i'm used to hearing, PA is TERRIBLE with it, when i lived there one of my buddys was having a fire out at his shop, burning old seats, just junk, out in the county, fire police showed up, long story short his pistol was taken to "confirm it's clean" then poof! dissapeared, ("destroyed") like some form of magic, i just love how in our counrty the only theft that's legal is the theft done by our own LEO's and gov. Thus why i have no faith in our LEOs:rolleyes:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Generally, Chicago PD sends a notice to your local PD, Sheriff's Dept., etc. that a weapon has been recovered. Your local PD is instructed in the correspondence that the weapon will not be returned to the owner, but to the PD, as the weapon is reported stolen.

If the PD wants the weapon back to return to you, there are two options:

1. Someone from your local PD goes to Chicago PD to obtain the weapon
    (a logistical nightmare).
    2. Chicago PD will send the weapon to your local PD, but the local PD will
    be responsible for the shipping charges. Yes, that's right. YOU may
    be asked to pay the shipping charges to get your own weapon back.

Chicago PD will destroy the weapon if nothing is heard from the local PD by a certain date noted in the correspondence.

That's why Illinois is known as the "People's Republic of Illinois." I know, I know, I'm only referring to Chicago. Getting a gun back from Chicago PD is nothing but a bloody nightmare. Not to mention, they are somewhat less than freely cooperative when you (a police officer) want to arrange to have a weapon sent to your PD so you can return it to its rightful owner.

In my experience, most of the time, an insurance company has reimbursed the victim for the weapon, and now the weapon technically belongs to the insurance company. Try to contact an insurance company about a claim made several years ago and ask if they want the weapon. Good luck.

I would say, that yes, you DID hit the lottery.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom