• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Have to head to Chicago to help family with work. If I understand it right I'm good to keep my pistol in the car with me? Also plan on running my TDI. Does Chicago have anything about blades? Thanks

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A roll of quarters in the pocket isn't so suspicious, and they happen to make a good fist load device if needed.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Although it's generally better to be alive rather than dead, I would imagine that being caught with or drawing a handgun (not to mention firing it) in Chicago would lead to a lot of legal unpleasantness. It's not difficult to avoid risky situations when visiting Chicago.

I know that some folks will flame me for this, but life is too short to miss out on a place like Chicago just because they have different laws than we do. If not being able to carry is the litmus test for visiting a place, then you can't go to many US states, Canada, England, Ireland, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. etc. I feel sorry for people who forego such experiences.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just went there not long ago. You should also be aware that they do not have local preemption and I believe that anything that holds over ten rounds is an "assault weapon". It's rather comical that the armed security I saw was all OC'ing glock 27's.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    On the CBS Evening news yesterday (Mon 22 Aug 16) there was an article about this past weekend being the worst for shootings with fifty some reported wounded and six killed.
    So I would call you a survivor.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    A friend of ours went to NYC for her 50th Birthday with a few friends and asked me what she should take with her (she was determined to have something with her for protection)...so I suggested she consider the Hi-Point 9mm compact she had picked-up used to have as a 'bathroom' pistol (stored under some towels next to the shower). I never asked, but I think she took it with her???

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Although it's generally better to be alive rather than dead, I would imagine that being caught with or drawing a handgun (not to mention firing it) in Chicago would lead to a lot of legal unpleasantness. It's not difficult to avoid risky situations when visiting Chicago.

I know that some folks will flame me for this, but life is too short to miss out on a place like Chicago just because they have different laws than we do. If not being able to carry is the litmus test for visiting a place, then you can't go to many US states, Canada, England, Ireland, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. etc. I feel sorry for people who forego such experiences.

I've visited Australia (1x) and New Zealand (2x) and loved my time there both times. That being said, while I did not have a gun of any kind, I did have at least two (2) knives on me at all times...one clipped in the right front pants pocket and the other hidden from view! Not that I was scared, but as a tourist, one has to consider the possibility of being targeted for that very reason! Fortunately nothing ever happened...and I did spend a few days hiking around Sidney alone on my first trip.

Both are excellent places to visit...New Zealand is the #1 country for number and variety of outdoor things to do...absolutely beautiful too! Once you've been to Queenstown...you'll wonder why you live in the flat-lands of the US? Ha Ha

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    On the CBS Evening news yesterday (Mon 22 Aug 16) there was an article about this past weekend being the worst for shootings with fifty some reported wounded and six killed.
    So I would call you a survivor.

The City of Chicago is a very BIG PLACE the vast majority of the shooting are in the bad hoods of the town. The tourist areas (ie. downtown) is relatively safe. Shootings are not common in that area. Get into the neighborhood especially those south of downtown and you are walking into "ChIraq".

TheZenful1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx

Section 40
    https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx

Section 40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    Section 65 subsection (b):
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

As a non-resident, as long as you aren't federally prohibited from owning or possessing and eligible to carry in your own state/county/etc, you can legally carry within your vehicle while you travel through Illinois. When you exit your vehicle, your firearm will have to be put into transportation mode as defined by Sec. 65 (b). The FCCA preempted Chicago's ban on handguns and the magazine capacity restriction for handguns. The only restriction that is currently still (allegedly) in effect is the restriction on laser sights.
    Also, Illinois does require you to disclose that you are carrying a firearm to an Officer only when the Officer asks.

Hope that clarifies non-resident carry in IL for you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom