Chick with more degrees than the proverbial thermometer needs academic advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pop for the tuition and book for ADMF 116 - Automation and Robotics. The first half of the semester will be "boring as whale snot" to quote Robin Williams's Adrian Cronauer, just a lightweight rehashing of what I did last semester in Programmable Logic Controllers I. (And this semester, I'm already taking PLCs II, the period before A&R in the same room.) I can think of better things on which to spend $125 / cr.hr. * 3 cr.hrs. + book cost. The thing is, the second half of this term in that class is going to get interesting. IVYTech Terre Haute has taken delivery of a cast off SCARA type Mitsubishi robot from Sony DADC and this class gets to set it up and play with it for those weeks. Plus, there's a small table top articulated Mitsu arm that's part of a Festo cell.

This is my last semester at IVYTech, as I'll have exhausted the CNC machining classes offered here and completed the INDT AAS program and be looking for full time employment as a CNC programmer/machinist. (Actually, I already am looking.) After that, I'll only be able to take classes that fit with my work schedule.

So, should I take this class that's not necessary for my program completion, but would be nice to have, or save my $$$ for more practical pursuits, like food and utilities?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'd take it... 15 years as an Industrial Electrician has taught me that the more you know (and can show), the better job doors will open / better pay will be possible.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I took Automation and Robotics 1 and 2 at Ivy Tech in Evansville. We got to play with a Fanuc welder which was interesting to use a camera to automatically guide the welder no matter how the pieces were laid in the work area. I think it was worth it, and I use some of what i learned at my current job.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...full time employment as a CNC programmer/machinist. (Actually, I already am looking.) After that, I'll only be able to take classes that fit with my work schedule.

Well actually you may be able to take future classes and have your employer pay for them if you do well and they need you to have the skill.

I'd take it... 15 years as an Industrial Electrician has taught me that the more you know (and can show), the better job doors will open / better pay will be possible.

The more you know makes you part of the solution for the problems created by those that know less.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks, JK. You're a prince.

Or is that a squire?

More like a jester. :cool:

It does sound like fun and since it's not my money, I'd take the class. It's a opportunity cost thing - what are you giving up by taking the class? And trying to work with this equipment and take a class later always costs much more.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Not sure if this relates, but if I could trade in my whole degree from purdue, I would.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    There is far more money in automation tech's than in CNC. A friend of mine teaches automation at a CC in Georgia and at companies around the country - $200k+ last year. He worked at companies a lot which tells me they need the people. Top CNC programmers may go to $60k (more if they can process the jobs also)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When I got my Biology degree, my plan was to minor in Chemistry, but after I took my requisite Chem classes, I decided to minor in German instead, 'cause it was, you know, way easier.

I've always regretted that.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pop for the tuition and book for ADMF 116 - Automation and Robotics.

///

This is my last semester at IVYTech,

take the class. this is the best time to take a class that might help you get a job you like.

it gives you more and better knowledge/skills and more to talk about during interviews.
    it has a good name and keywords - which might be noticed by resume reviewers or found by keyword searches.

do some research on careerbuilder.com and craigslist to see which path (machinist vs. automation) has better opportunities.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not sure if this relates, but if I could trade in my whole degree from purdue, I would.

I assume it has provided absolutely NO benefits in your life??:dunno:

If that is truly the case then perhaps it's not time yet. Just because you completed it and it didn't provide income in the form and time frame that you had in mind does not make it a waste of time. Of course I could be wrong, that's up to you.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I, personally, would take the class. If it means a degree completion, then that's worth its weight in gold. As sad as it is, employers are looking more and more at the fact whether or not an applicant has a degree, regardless of work experience. Any amount of hours you can spend practicing your programming is going to do nothing but hone and perfect your skill, making you more efficient.

Ultimately, if you can get the knowledge in Automation and get good at project management, that could lead you into a manufacturing leadership role. You know, if you're into that kind of thing. :)

For what it's worth, I have a B.S in Automation and Controls Engineering Tech from ISU. Go Sycamores.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The degree is nice to get your foot in the door, and that's about all.
    Knowledge is what college is SUPPOSED to be about.
    I'd take an extra class if I thought I needed the knowledge from it.

I ended up helping teach the PLC class I took.
    Only took it for the degree.
    Had more experience than the teacher did.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh, I used to take every class about anything practical that I could, graduated HS with 51 of the (then) required 34 credits, and here I am an EE that was driving a school bus for 11 years, and now I basically just occupy space and convert oxygen to carbon dioxide. Kill me now, please.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Cathy, I don't know anything about the CNC machining world but I do know a little about the controls and automation world--at least as it relates to the plant where I work...we are attriting out as many of the CNC folks (we called them die-makers) as we can. And with our expansion coming along and with our existing automation techs nearing retirement, we'll probably be hiring them in the next year.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks, JK. You're a prince.

Or is that a squire?
    In Medieval times, a Squire would be an attendant to a Knight, in preparation to becoming a Knight himself. As JK is (by his screen name) a Knight, he already would've served (typically) 7 years as a Squire (and 7 years prior to that as a Page, beginning at age 7). Perhaps he would be a Prince, or other noble (likely), perhaps not, that usually being decided by his parents (usually the Father) in conjunction with the Lord / Liege or Overlord (perhaps even the Monarch). Just FYI.

Despite what movies often portray, Knights were (typically) held in high esteem, perhaps in as high (some times higher) regard than the Monarch himself. Becoming King was a matter of birth / bloodline and succession and was 'given' or bestowed. However, even the King had to earn Knighthood through years of training ('weaponry', etc.) and education (tactics, etiquette, etc.) as (briefly) outlined above. Not all Kings were Knights. Perhaps the most notable Knight-King was Richard I, known as Richard Coeur de Lion, or (more commonly to folks) Richard the Lionheart (not "Lionhearted" as it is typically misquoted).

To your question, it depends on how much of a financial burden the extra cost would place upon your personal finances. However, keep in mind that knowledge and education is something you own for the rest of your life. No one can take that away from you. While it may not be immediately 'useful', it may provide additional opportunities and / or advancement down the road. It's rarely 'a waste of time'. JMO, YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom