• spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We used to have 4 ISA browns:

chickens001.jpg

On the night of June 3 something broke into the chicken pen (by digging under the fence) and killed 3 of the 4. One was dragged off and never found. Two others were dead - no blood or obvious wounds. The fourth was barely alive - unable to walk or stand or feed herself. Likely suspects: cats, weasels, raccoons. Most likely guilty - opossum. We found a baby opossum (still pouch size) dead in the pen. Family members suggested just butchering the remaining chicken, but I wasn't so sure. She laid an egg two days later, but then no more. After about a week of hand feeding greens and water along with some chicken feed, she started trying to stand. After three weeks she started standing and trying to walk. Now, a month later, she is walking and scratching and getting her own food, and has laid two of the last 3 days.

She was never very friendly, but now she runs away from everyone else but me. When ever she sees me she talks to me and runs over. Never though of chickens as being resilient, but that is one tough old bird.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It sucks, but as you found out chickens are predator magnets. If you leave them in a pen, one thing you can do is lay the fence out a few feet flat on the ground. Then things can't burrow under. If you bury part of the fence they'll just dig deeper, but if the fence radiates out, they won't move far enough back to get through it before they start digging.

Like this:

StocksafeT119015-with-60x4x14.ashx

If they free range, like ours did, its a constant vigil for coyotes, hawks, etc. etc.

medicr224

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    I also have chicken wire on the ground about 2 feet out. Also if you place something like fire wood or bricks up next to the fence this seems to help with the digger as they see it and do not dig under fence. I was told that the fear of the object falling on them is what stops it. I have both around our chicken run and fingers crossed have not had any issues. Placing a roost a couple feet above the ground so the chickens have somewhere to get out of range may help also.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Purchase some chicken wire and roll it out all the way around the pen(making sure none of it touches the pen and the chickens cant touch it either). Then electrify it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have discovered that predators will come right up to the coop and just stare at the chickens allowing even the worst shot to get a good hit on them.
    After a few evenings and some good luck the losses take their toll and you can relax for a while. The cycle will come around again.

Top Bottom