• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We have a constant Chipmunk problem thanks to a neighbor's multiple year round birdfeeders.

Today I setup a combination sump & gutter downspout drainpipe and I wasn't inside 10 minutes before the chipmunk I chased out of the old pipe was back in the new pipe.

I have been told gutter covers are not an option and I can't bury the pipe because of the trees I have, so I have to allow for leaves and tree debris to pass fully throught the drain system. That means I can't screen off the exits and also can't be outside 24/7 with a pellet gun, so I have to cap the pipe in a way that water and leaves can get out, but a fuzzy rat can't get in.

I have used 4 in thinwall pvc sewer pipe, so I am thinking a mildly spring loaded flap that opens with the weight of the water/debris, yet closes afterwards... kind of like a flapper on diesel exhaust stack, only sideways... does such a thing exist?

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Probably not directly applicable, but I made a one way door for the squirrels occupying my attic. Spring loaded plastic door with the edge protected to prevent prying and chewing. It worked. They're all in my garage now. Freezer soon.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Check a supply business that sells field tile for subsurface drainage. You can get animal guards that are metal and they attach near the outlet of the tile. You can use them on metal or plastic pipe.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    can you bury some drainage tile? You mentioned trees. But if you can get some buried, then install one of these pop-ups on the end. I did a bunch of tiling of my mom's house and put one of these in the middle of her flower garden. Can only see it if you look for it, but during a rainstorm, there is a small fountain coming out of the ground from it.

Though ... the leaves might be tough on it. why no gutter covers?

Always do the ultrasonic thing.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    can you bury some drainage tile? You mentioned trees. But if you can get some buried, then install one of these pop-ups on the end. I did a bunch of tiling of my mom's house and put one of these in the middle of her flower garden. Can only see it if you look for it, but during a rainstorm, there is a small fountain coming out of the ground from it.

Though ... the leaves might be tough on it. why no gutter covers?

Always do the ultrasonic thing.

Tile drains can't handle debris.

I was told by two gutter cover companies that the Maple I have out front drops helicopters small enough to get through the slots in the covers. Combine that with a 70ft gutter run and I would still have clogs at the downspout. They both said I could install them, then get up on the ladder and pick them out, or vacuum them out. Not paying thousands of dollars just to change how I clean the gutters.

Last edited:

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Why don't you eliminate the problem.

5 gallon bucket half full of water. Pour sunflower seeds on top of the water until it looks like a layer of seeds. The seeds will float.
    Place a 2 x 4 to make a ramp up to the bucket. Drop some extra seeds on the 2 x 4 and watch the chipmunks try to swim.
    I've caught 5 so far this year. Two years ago I caught 13.

They are curious and will eat the seeds up the 2 x 4 and when they get to the top of the 2 x 4 ramp they think they've hit the jackpot of seeds.
    Bye-bye Chipmunks!

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Tile drains can't handle debris.

I was told by two gutter cover companies that the Maple I have out front drops helicopters small enough to get through the slots in the covers. Combine that with a 70ft gutter run and I would still have clogs at the downspout. They both said I could install them, then get up on the ladder and pick them out, or vacuum them out. Not paying thousands of dollars just to change how I clean the gutters.

The obvious solution would be to cut down the devil maple tree. Hate them with a passion.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

5 gallon bucket half full of water. Pour sunflower seeds on top of the water until it looks like a layer of seeds. The seeds will float.
    Place a 2 x 4 to make a ramp up to the bucket. Drop some extra seeds on the 2 x 4 and watch the chipmunks try to swim.

They are curious and will eat the seeds up the 2 x 4 and when they get to the top of the 2 x 4 ramp they think they've hit the jackpot of seeds.
    Bye-bye Chipmunks!

Maybe not everyone wants to indiscriminately kill stuff? Or kill them at all?

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    I had a similar problem. I put a couple rat traps near the end of mine. Both traps were sprung multiple times. Never nabbed a chipmunk but haven't seen another since. I think it scared the bejesus out of them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Bye-bye Chipmunks!

Serious? Does this really work? It sounds genius! Chipmunks are so destructive. I just had one chew through my house trim and get inside my walls. One day when it was out, I put two layers of wire cloth under the siding and trim, sprayed expandable foam in the openings, put the trim and siding back on. They won't get through now, but they will probably try somewhere else. They also have a residence under my deck.

If this works, I'll do it. I don't care if they all die. They are rodents. Just because they are not gray, doesn't make them any more welcome in my home.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Serious? Does this really work? It sounds genius! Chipmunks are so destructive. I just had one chew through my house trim and get inside my walls. One day when it was out, I put two layers of wire cloth under the siding and trim, sprayed expandable foam in the openings, put the trim and siding back on. They won't get through now, but they will probably try somewhere else. They also have a residence under my deck.

If this works, I'll do it. I don't care if they all die. They are rodents. Just because they are not gray, doesn't make them any more welcome in my home.

Yes it does work. I got 4 or 5 last year with this method. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot more of them this year. I need to put out their swimming pool of death again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bye-bye Chipmunks!

I saw this post and was getting ready to suggest this very thing.
    It works with most rodents. There is a way to adapt this for squirrels. I put out the tree rat eliminator in the spring before we get the garden ready. Hve caught 15 or more every spring. They repopulate over the summer so there is no way to get them all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Sure does. My dad had a zillion of the destructive little butt heads. Took some time and a lot of seeds but they were gone in one season.

Top Bottom