• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ensure you get an Indiana Dl when you move here otherwise you could find yourself in a tricky situation.

Yes. In order to make a face-to-face gun sale, there are three legal requirements:
    1. You must be at least 18.
    2. You must be from the same state.
    3. The seller must not have any reason to believe you aren't a "proper person" (meet above requirements plus not have a criminal history).
    Some people (but not all) require some documentation when selling. An Indiana DL handles the first two requirements. A LTCH indicates that you've passed a background check. A minority of people will take it to the next level and require a full sales agreement document. However, having a DL and LTCH will make things easier as a new Hoosier gun owner, so just get those ASAP.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    18 year old Friend of mine was taken to jail for carrying two 1911s shirtless in a shoulder rig at a car wash, was released immediately after producing ltch

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    18 year old Friend of mine was taken to jail for carrying two 1911s shirtless in a shoulder rig at a car wash, was released immediately after producing ltch

I can't say I blame PD. that jus sounds... Off. :scratch: (And why didn't he have it on him? Oh righ, it was in his shirt pocket. :):)

indiana36Bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Boone/Tipp. Countys
    Okay,cool. I'm sure I will get to 50 posts by the time I move and get my carry license. new are still working on getting a house so I have time before we move.

So other then the classifieds on here, where is a good place to find guns for sale like that? I don't have any family there so that isn't an option at this point.
    The other problem I have been thinking about, I can't like go to a gun store and look
    At handgun models to see what I like or what will fit me well to carry so how do I that? It might be kinda hard to look on the classifieds if I don't know what gun I want.

No reason you couldn't go look at a gun store almost all i've ever been in, in the state let's you look at them, still no sale unless 21 obviously.

yankee1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2016
    Eaton
    I'm not sure if you can or not because of your age but renting the guns your interested in at a range is well worth the money to figure out what fits your hand and that is controllable for you.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Where is the best place to find a gun to buy? I tried looking on here but haven't been able to find anything that I am looking for. Looking for a s&w 38. SPL air light or like a j frame revolver

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    OK. That rules out regular retail purchases, interstate purchases, auctions, and most gun show purchases. All require FFL/21+.

Other options available to you:
    • Private purchase from someone you know- friends/family. Important- Don't give them money to do a retail purchase for you. That is a straw purchase which is illegal and can land them in major trouble.
    • Purchase via INGO. You do not yet qualify due to post count, but that is easy to fix. Read the 50 post/site supporter rule. I'd recommend posting a WTB ad since you have something specific in mind.
    • Private purchase at a gun show. You can't buy from FFL dealers, but there are generally also private sellers walking around with guns for sale.
    • Purchase via another listing service in-state: Hoosier Topics, Armslist.
    • Head to the 'hood and buy one from a non-licensed dealer. (an available and possibly even legal purchase, but not at all recommended)
    The list above is in my order of preference due to safety/clunker/rip-off considerations. If you haven't already, you should do some research on how to evaluate a revolver to check functionality. There might be other options I've overlooked and hopefully someone else will chime in with those. You might want to consider being more flexible on a first gun until you can purchase retail to get exactly what you want.

One final note- Although your age is legal for private purchase, not everyone is clear on the law (as you weren't when you started this thread). When you approach someone about a purchase, don't be shocked if they turn you down because you are below 21. You can try to print off and show them the Indiana Code (IC 35-47-2-7), but some may still not want to go ahead with a sale. Good luck.

Last edited:

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Well thank you all for the great info. I got my drivers license first and I applied for my permit and am going to do fingerprints tomorrow. So then it is just waiting after that and looking for a carry gun for me

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Was a t the gun store today and someone said something I mentioned how at 18 you can legally buy a hangun as long as it isn't thru and ffl and they said that was dead wrong and can get you sent to jail. I tried to explain that it isn't illegal but I didn't know what laws to look at or show them. So where in the laws does it say/ or make it okay to do so as long as it is a private sale?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Was a t the gun store today and someone said something I mentioned how at 18 you can legally buy a hangun as long as it isn't thru and ffl and they said that was dead wrong and can get you sent to jail. I tried to explain that it isn't illegal but I didn't know what laws to look at or show them. So where in the laws does it say/ or make it okay to do so as long as it is a private sale?

IC 35-47-2-7

Top Bottom