• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    While surfing around the web, I left my original topic of research far behind and bumped into a chloroform synthesis video. After viewing it, I was quite astounded of how simple it really is. That got me thinking.....since literally anyone can easily make it at home using two of the most common household chemicals around, is this something that might be a good addition to a field kit?

My thoughts were of its possible usefulness using it as an emergency general anesthetic. Should a member of your party suffer a massive laceration, a serious compound fracture, or something of that nature, s/he could be anesthetized before attempting to suture a wound or set a bad fracture.

Any thoughts?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Thread jack

Sorry for the thread jack but this reminds of my favorite pick up line...."Hey beautiful! Does this cloth smell like chloroform to you?"

Very useful! :D

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I wouldn't use it for anything. Too dangerous. There's a reason that anesthesiologists go to school for a long time. Anything that can make you unconscious can also kill you. Apply it too long and the person could stop breathing. Then you have a whole new issue to deal with. Not worth the hassle. Stick to basic first aid and you should be OK.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Sorry for the thread jack but this reminds of my favorite pick up line...."Hey beautiful! Does this cloth smell like chloroform to you?"

Hey, good lookin', is that a keg in your back pocket, 'cause I'd sure like to tap that axx!!
    Courtesy of my dainty, ladylike little wifey. Good lord.

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wouldn't, it's a carcinogenic liquid.
    While surfing around the web, I left my original topic of research far behind and bumped into a chloroform synthesis video. After viewing it, I was quite astounded of how simple it really is. That got me thinking.....since literally anyone can easily make it at home using two of the most common household chemicals around, is this something that might be a good addition to a field kit?

My thoughts were of its possible usefulness using it as an emergency general anesthetic. Should a member of your party suffer a massive laceration, a serious compound fracture, or something of that nature, s/he could be anesthetized before attempting to suture a wound or set a bad fracture.

Any thoughts?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Probably be better off lacing them with something that deadens pain without actually knocking them out, like liquor. As MrJarrel said anesthesia is very easy to get wrong, as it depends on a variety of factors. When a person is wounded is not the time to attempt something that complex, since they're already weakened significantly anyway.

There might be other uses for chloroform, however, which wouldn't require precise amounts of it to work.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    is this something that might be a good addition to a field kit?
    Suddenly, while hiking down the trail and for no apparent reason, Timmy became very drowsy.

I think you are more likely to knock yourself out when it breaks in your pack then to use it safely. Now, in a glass bottle to toss at others in a confined space, sure why not but I say just stock up on more ammo instead.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Leave it alone. I almost lost someone close to me over some stupid behavior involving an incredibly small amount of the stuff. There's a reason not even anesthesiologists use it anymore. Better to just keep some wild turkey or jack daniels as an emergency general anesthetic.

lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville
    Leave it alone. I almost lost someone close to me over some stupid behavior involving an incredibly small amount of the stuff. There's a reason not even anesthesiologists use it anymore. Better to just keep some wild turkey or jack daniels as an emergency general anesthetic.

^^ im thinking i might have and emergency tonight... thats why im going to run some tests with some Jack Daniels in my own lab. :laugh:

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yeah, I see dead people.

i-see-stupid-people-590x395.jpg

Sorry. First thing that popped into my head.. :laugh:

Top Bottom