• Which one?

• Total voters

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Not having owned a "pocket pistol" (unless you count a 26), I'm looking for some advice/help deciding between two I have my eye on.

The first being a Ruger LC9, the second being a Taurus PT709 Slim Compact. I've yet to own either brand, and realize most here might be a bit Ruger biased. Nevertheless, I want your opinions. What's one got over the other?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Not having owned a "pocket pistol" (unless you count a 26), I'm looking for some advice/help deciding between two I have my eye on.

The first being a Ruger LC9, the second being a Taurus PT709 Slim Compact. I've yet to own either brand, and realize most here might be a bit Ruger biased. Nevertheless, I want your opinions. What's one got over the other?

I would strongly think outside the prevalent "Gotta be an Automatic" box and strongly consider a Smith and Wesson 642 or 442. I have a very nice Makita drill that I sometimes use to drive screws with. However, I also have various screwdrivers of different sizes to screw various types of screws. Guns are tools and sometimes a different tool is better for the job at hand for various reasons. IMHO ofcourse.

Indiucky

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I would strongly think outside the prevalent "Gotta be an Automatic" box and strongly consider a Smith and Wesson 642 or 442. I have a very nice Makita drill that I sometimes use to drive screws with. However, I also have various screwdrivers of different sizes to screw various types of screws. Guns are tools and sometimes a different tool is better for the job at hand for various reasons. IMHO ofcourse.

Indiucky

Good point. I was just looking at some revolvers. I'm only looking to spend at the most 350, and most Smiths are a little more than that. Started looking at what Taurus has to offer, and I like their prices so far.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Good point. I was just looking at some revolvers. I'm only looking to spend at the most 350, and most Smiths are a little more than that. Started looking at what Taurus has to offer, and I like their prices so far.

A new J frame hammerless is right at $400 and there is usually one for sale somewhere slightly used for $350 or so.

As a side note there are very few bumper stickers that say "This vehicle insured by Taurus." but you will see quite a few insured by Smith and Wesson. There was a time when the Taurus was a good deal but with the devaluation of the dollar the prices have gotten so close on the two that it almost makes sense to go ahead and get the Smith. I do think Taurus does just as good a job of protection but with the price difference so small you may as well get the original.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My main reasoning behind brand choosing, is my limited budget. Can't go over 350.

If your interested I have an LC9 Ive been kicking around the idea of selling. It has less than 500 rnds through it and Ive put a grip sleeve on it. There is nothing wrong with the pistol that I know of It has never had any of the light primer strikes some have reported with them. The main reason I would sell it is BC after I bought my LCR I dont carry the LC9 anymore. I like the LCR better and the LC9 just sits in the safe.

PM me if your interested.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Of the 2, LC9 no question. But with a budget of $350 you may be able to put yourself into a good used gun for that price. I'm never afraid to buy used since most people tend to get rid of guns they don't enjoy shooting not ones they've worn out. Every used gun I've ever bought has been virtually trouble-free and most have had less than a mag or two ran through them...and with you looking for something in a 'pocket carry' gun you'll likely find more offers barely used since some people might have bought it, shot it and hated it because it was simply too small of a gun.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Of the 2, LC9 no question. But with a budget of $350 you may be able to put yourself into a good used gun for that price. I'm never afraid to buy used since most people tend to get rid of guns they don't enjoy shooting not ones they've worn out. Every used gun I've ever bought has been virtually trouble-free and most have had less than a mag or two ran through them...and with you looking for something in a 'pocket carry' gun you'll likely find more offers barely used since some people might have bought it, shot it and hated it because it was simply too small of a gun.

That's really all I've been looking at. But if its used, I can't buy FTF due to the payment method of plastic ;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If i have to choose out of those, i picked ruger, but i picked it in protest. I am another vote that when you get into a gun that small a revolver is the only truly reliable way to go.

smith 642 here, and i got it off these boards for 350.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

I picked my slightly used Smith 442 up at Gander Mountain of all places, for just under $300. Its not an auto pistol, but as far as a go anywhere, no BS pocket gun, its my #1 choice. For me, it is actually much more accurate than most of my auto pistols, not uncommon to put all 5 out of the cylinder into one ragged hole at 10 yards.
    Dont let the MSRP, or even the new gun prices keep you from having what you want, a little shopping around and keeping an eye on the used stuff can land you some really good deals.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I had a lc9 and sold it. The size was perfect but I thought everything else was cheap. I would get one of those smith and Wesson shields that just came out. They are in the same price range and seem to be of higher quality

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    With your price limit, the Taurus is the one that is more in your price range, especially new.

Friend of mine bought one; it doesn't like WWB, but runs fine on Remington green box. Fine pistol for what it is. Hi Tek Firearms in Sellersburg has one, (at least they did last time I checked,) for $299 with 1 mag, no box, brand new. Even with shipping and an FFL transfer, you'd still be around $350.

With that being said, I find it hard to beat a .357 in the pocket. I believe I bought a Taurus 605 in .357 magnum for $320 out the door, brand new. Less capacity, but hella more power.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I voted the LC9 because I have one and its been a great little pocket gun for me. No issues at the range, and I have put several hundred rounds through it. Great little gun.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    ive shot a slim. that my brother owns. not a big fan. but if u can look into the keltec pf 9. i would go that route. good luck

Top Bottom