• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Alright, ive been looking for a 9mm pistol for my first handgun. Im going to carry it and most likely be shooting it at least once a week. The two choices ive come down to is a CZ-75 and a Glock 17. I know its mostly preference to the specific person but, which one do you find to be more reliable? I never even looked toward a CZ until a few guys on here talked about them and I started checking them out, and as for the Glock, they're everywhete haha. Thanks for any advice!

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    I don't know a whole lot about the CZ, but i have a G17 and love it. It's kinda big for a 9mm but it's really great to shoot. And, It's a GLOCK!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    You really ought to go shoot them both, if you can get your hands on them. I don't think there's much to pick between the two, reliability-wise (or a half dozen other 9mm choices, for that matter). The Glocks always felt "off" in my hands, but clearly they are popular choice for a reason. The CZ has better ergonomics for me, and I prefer steel pistols, so that would likely be my choice, in SS.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Shoot both and you'll know which is for you. There is a good reason that both pistols have a strong following. Both are excellent solutions to the same question. It really just comes down to what feels better to you and nobody else can decide that.

For me, the CZ family works well. I'm of the school of thought that it matters more to me what a gun shoots like than what it feels like to carry it. Jeff Cooper said something like 'A gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable'.

I carry my gun every day, every where I can and bought a good holster and belt to make it comfortable. For whatever reason, I have trouble shooting a Glock accurately, but do quite well with the all-steel CZ Compact. Others have the reverse of that experience.

As RockHopper said, try to shoot both and decide for yourself. Don't buy solely based on the advice of fan-boys on either side of the camp. Both are great for the folks they fit.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have both, a g17 & a CZ-75, my self defense gun is the CZ & the gun I keep in the trunk of my ATV is the glock, cause I don't care if I marr the finish of the glock

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    I am going to try and get my hands on each of them next week, I have a local shop (about the only one) that rents out guns so hopefully they carry both!

mtb1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I had a friend with a CZ (not the 75) and he was always complaining about it. Not a personal experience or anything, but he does have a buinch of other stuff and this was his least favorite. Just my 2 cents.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    The advice to shoot them both is good.

Alright, ive been looking for a 9mm pistol for my first handgun. Im going to carry it and most likely be shooting it at least once a week. The two choices ive come down to is a CZ-75 and a Glock 17. I know its mostly preference to the specific person but, which one do you find to be more reliable? I never even looked toward a CZ until a few guys on here talked about them and I started checking them out, and as for the Glock, they're everywhete haha. Thanks for any advice!

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    It depends on what you want to use it for. I carry Glocks (Models 23 and 27) but if I had to pick an all time favorite 9mm pistol (and I've owned a ridiculous number of them over the years) it would be the CZ75B. It's scary accurate and fits my hand like a glove. On the down side it is relatively heavy weighing more unloaded than the fully loaded Glock 17. Also, if you're planning to use it as a home defense gun it doesn't have a rail for attaching a light/laser like the Glock. I myself am not a big fan of the laser/light but a lot of people feel differently about it.

If you're considering them as concealed carry options you might want to look at the compact versions of both. The full size versions are a little big but if you dress around them and use a good quality belt and holster it can be done. The compact versions would be a little easier to deal with.

The Glock has one more advantage over the CZ in that there are so many options for holsters and other accessories. The CZ isn't quite as popular so accessories are not as readily available.

Either one is going to serve you well. If it was just going to be a range gun I would go CZ all the way. For a home defense gun I would probably consider a CZ 75 SP-01 or the Glock 17. For CCW or all around use either a Glock 19 or CZ P-01.

Just my :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Both are fine guns, although different designs.

The Glock is significantly lighter, less expensive, and after market "stuff" is more available for it.

Nothing wrong with a CZ75 though. Arguably one of the most popular pistols in the world.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    It depends on what you want to use it for. I carry Glocks (Models 23 and 27) but if I had to pick an all time favorite 9mm pistol (and I've owned a ridiculous number of them over the years) it would be the CZ75B. It's scary accurate and fits my hand like a glove. On the down side it is relatively heavy weighing more unloaded than the fully loaded Glock 17. Also, if you're planning to use it as a home defense gun it doesn't have a rail for attaching a light/laser like the Glock. I myself am not a big fan of the laser/light but a lot of people feel differently about it.

If you're considering them as concealed carry options you might want to look at the compact versions of both. The full size versions are a little big but if you dress around them and use a good quality belt and holster it can be done. The compact versions would be a little easier to deal with.

The Glock has one more advantage over the CZ in that there are so many options for holsters and other accessories. The CZ isn't quite as popular so accessories are not as readily available.

Either one is going to serve you well. If it was just going to be a range gun I would go CZ all the way. For a home defense gun I would probably consider a CZ 75 SP-01 or the Glock 17. For CCW or all around use either a Glock 19 or CZ P-01.

Just my :twocents:

Thanks for the advice, I want this to be a home defense as well as a ccw. My girlfriend is getting a Rossi .38 special and we plan on taking some handgun courses(mine and her first handgun) and plenty of range shooting, so it will be seeing a lot of use. And ive heard Glocks hold up and are extremely reliable even after heavy use. Shooting has become my new addiction haha. :D

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I love my CZ clone. However if I was gonna carry hollow points I'd get the Glock.
    Glock has a good Rep with HP ammo. I've had trouble feeding them in my Witness 9

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have both and would recomend you do the same if/when funds allow.

Although mine are the Glock 19 and a CZ P-01 variations the principle is the same.

Glock vs CZ IMHO

Ergos CZ wins. Cost Glock wins. Aftermarket Glock wins. Reliability CZ=Glock. Shootability CZ wins. Accuracy CZ wins.

Ive said this twice now and it is still true

CZ is to Glock as Bentley is to Mazda.

Both are great products and will do what you want to do just fine, but given the chance which would you rather be driving?

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    I have both and would recomend you do the same if/when funds allow.

Although mine are the Glock 19 and a CZ P-01 variations the principle is the same.

Glock vs CZ IMHO

Ergos CZ wins. Cost Glock wins. Aftermarket Glock wins. Reliability CZ=Glock. Shootability CZ wins. Accuracy CZ wins.

Ive said this twice now and it is still true

CZ is to Glock as Bentley is to Mazda.

Both are great products and will do what you want to do just fine, but given the chance which would you rather be driving?

I dont know if I can afford a Bentley haha, but thanks for the advice. I can get Glock 17 for around 450ish at my local gun store, they didnt even have a CZ-75 so I didnt get to check it out :(

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I dont know if I can afford a Bentley haha, but thanks for the advice. I can get Glock 17 for around 450ish at my local gun store, they didnt even have a CZ-75 so I didnt get to check it out :(

Well me neither but the analogy works well I think. Both are imported, both are very good cars for the money, The Bentley is alot nicer than the Mazda and is much more comfortable. Acessories for the Bentley will cost more, Bentley is hard to find as Mazda is everywhere. With the Bentley you get the exclusiveness feeling. The only place the Analogy falls apart is the price difference. The Bentley is considerably more exspensive than the Mazda but Glock and CZ are comparable in price.

The CZ is normally a little more exspensive bc gunstores know that people actively seek them out and are willing to pay more for them bc they tend to be hard to find. Even so I paid about $600 for my CZ P-01 and around the same price for my Glock 19 EXO after nightsight installation.

So It really comes down to which one you want first.

EDT. Im not sure how far away from Martinsville Goshen is but I know there is a gun store not to far away from me that has a CZ-75 instock as we speak.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Well me neither but the analogy works well I think. Both are imported, both are very good cars for the money, The Bentley is alot nicer than the Mazda and is much more comfortable. Acessories for the Bentley will cost more, Bentley is hard to find as Mazda is everywhere. With the Bentley you get the exclusiveness feeling. The only place the Analogy falls apart is the price difference. The Bentley is considerably more exspensive than the Mazda but Glock and CZ are comparable in price.

The CZ is normally a little more exspensive bc gunstores know that people actively seek them out and are willing to pay more for them bc they tend to be hard to find. Even so I paid about $600 for my CZ P-01 and around the same price for my Glock 19 EXO after nightsight installation.

So It really comes down to which one you want first.

EDT. Im not sure how far away from Martinsville Goshen is but I know there is a gun store not to far away from me that has a CZ-75 instock as we speak.

Solid 3.5 hour drive, but I really want to shoot a CZ so I dont buy the G17 and regret it, only one shop around here actually has a range and im not even sure if they allow you to shoot before you buy. But I know they have plenty of Glocks in stock.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Solid 3.5 hour drive, but I really want to shoot a CZ so I dont buy the G17 and regret it, only one shop around here actually has a range and im not even sure if they allow you to shoot before you buy. But I know they have plenty of Glocks in stock.

Hmm well so much for letting you shoot my CZ. Im sure there are other guys on here closer to you that own them that will be willing to let you try thiers out.

Glock is a solid choice though. They wouldnt arguably be the most popular firearm in the country if they werent.

Also check out the S&W M&P line. I had one but personaly I prefer the Glock.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Hmm well so much for letting you shoot my CZ. Im sure there are other guys on here closer to you that own them that will be willing to let you try thiers out.

Glock is a solid choice though. They wouldnt arguably be the most popular firearm in the country if they werent.

Also check out the S&W M&P line. I had one but personaly I prefer the Glock.

Nemo offered to let me take a spin with his CZ's, not sure how serious he was about it but its a little closer, and would be well worth the trip I think. And I actually held an M&P and it felt, off, little light but it was pretty nice.

Top Bottom