• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I'm going to start reloading 6.5cm and have been thinking about getting a chronograph. I was curious if other people have used them to double check their velocities? If it's worth investing in one or not?

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I have found a chronograph to be an essential tool for load development. I use a Competition Electronics ProChrono. It is a good lower cost option and has Bluetooth capability. There is also the Labradar unit, but it is around $600 or so. Many users are happy with the Labradar. I'm happy with my ProChrono.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Careful on the Caldwell. Ive heard some customer service nightmares.

Like customers needing parts and not able to get them. And when they leave a negative review because of that, the review is deleted and they are prohibited from posting more reviews.

Hmmmmmm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a Competition Electronics ProChrono Bluetooth model as well.
    I really like it much better than my old Shooting Chrony that stopped working properly after close to 25 years of service.
    If you have the money go with Labradar.
    If you're not wanting to spend that much I suggest you buy a Competition Electronics ProChrono Bluetooth model.

If you buy one from Brownell it's guaranteed for life no extra warranties to mess with.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have both the Caldwell G2 and the MagnetoSpeed V3.
    1. Love the MagnetoSpeed. Would buy it again.
    2. I would NEVER buy the Caldwell again. (Their customer service is garbage.)
    3. I cannot speak to the LabRadar, but I hear that is a buy once cry once unit.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Another vote for the ProChrono DLX with Bluetooth. I use the app on my phone. Quite easy to use. Every once in a blue moon it will not register a shot, but I've heard the Labradar can do that too. I do wish battery life was better. Other than those two minor things, good product.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    ProChrono DLX with Bluetooth here too. It works well.

Also have a Magnetospeed which I like a lot. For long guns, it is very useful on a range where there are other shooters and you have to wait for cease fires to set up or adjust a unit like the ProChrono.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I use a MagnetoSpeed along with a Chrono Mount Pro to get the MagnetoSpeed off the barrel. I shoot groups and get very accurate speed readings. I don't have to waste barrel life while shooting new bullets or changing powder lots. Handguns get shot over a PACT IV pro timer with skyscreen options with infrared lighting.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use a MagnetoSpeed along with a Chrono Mount Pro to get the MagnetoSpeed off the barrel. I shoot groups and get very accurate speed readings. I don't have to waste barrel life while shooting new bullets or changing powder lots. Handguns get shot over a PACT IV pro timer with skyscreen options with infrared lighting.
    So which is better Labradar or Magnetospeed?
    Have you used both? If so which is more accurate of the two?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I own a Caldwell, never had an issue so I've never had to deal with their CS. If it's bad if/when I do have to, I'll invest in a different one.

I've used the Magnetospeed and the Labradar. Both are great. If I were to spend around $500 for either one of them, I'd go Labradar.

I personally, just can't see spending that much money on something that I use once for each different load in order to see velocity and SD. I get by with the Caldwell just fine and I got it on Black Friday for less than $100 from Midway. I'd say, unless you are competition shooting, loading 10+ calibers, or just have the extra money to spend, go with the ProChrono or something similar.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I like the MagnetoSpeed. It doesn't have problems with seeing shots or needing triggers, it requires no sighting system. Cons the off barrel mounts are close to $200 so each fully equipped out are close to the same price. On our Pod cast we have ran the two and each have there pro's and cons.

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    Having had the caldwell and currently having the Labradar, get the Labradar. I was on the fence about if it was worth it. Yeah it is in every fashion. I dealt with caldwell customer service, I accidentally put a projectile through the light bar. They covered it no problem, problem was 6 month wait for a new part and couldn’t just buy one.

Labradar is a cry once deal, but you’ll get close to all your money back. I use the app and it’s nice. Only complaint is a good tripod for it. Didn’t have luck with that so did a ram mount on my shooting bench. It picks up suppressed 22 and all for me.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Regarding the Caldwell: has anyone been able to get it to work with an iPhone? I’ve got a newer iPhone and, of course, it does not have the old style headphone jack required on the Caldwell unit. Any ideas?

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    If you can shrink the Labradar so it isn't so big and bulky, fix the trigger so it will work with a suppressor. I know you can buy recoil triggers that run about $45 or so and mount a cheap red dot so you can aim it better for longer range readings.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed are about the most accurate Chronographs made Brian Litz did a review of about 15 of them and rated accuracy of the readings and those two came on top.

Top Bottom