• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It looks like this took place in Illinois, just east of St. Louis. Prayers with all those shot.

This should be a call for folks to make sure they have the means to protect themselves anywhere - even church. Instead, it will most certainly be used by the anti-gunners.

Report: People shot at Illinois Baptist church - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Let the antis try to use this.

It will give us the perfect opportunity to show what happens when citizens are allowed to arm and protect themselves, and when they are prohibited by law from doing so. We can show church shootings with dead bad guy and limited victims, vs church shootings in legally inflicted victim disarmament zones.

In fact, we should not be waiting for the antis to go on the attack. Instead WE should be doing so.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm a member of a very large church on the southside of Indy. I think it's time I find out and my church's position on CCW. I always carry, but I've never asked the official position.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    In the April/May issue of Guns&Ammo there's a good article on this very issue, has some very good points regarding carrying while attending religious service. page 64

sunspot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2008
    Warsaw
    My first place to carry since getting my ltch, small rural church, mostly older people, always felt a little exposed there. Not any more !!

John

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    My prayers to the families of those killed and wounded.

A little thought on mindset here:
    A gunman walked down the aisle of a church during a Sunday service and killed the pastor, then stabbed himself and slashed two other people as parishioners wrestled him to the ground, authorities said.
    1) The gun failed after shooting the pastor, so the BG pulled out a knife and turned it on himself and two other people. He was determined to cause damage no matter what weapon he had. He had a backup plan and used it.

2) The parishioners had no weapons (unfortunately) but their own hands and bodies. They used what they had available to subdue the BG.

Anti's may use this as an example of why guns are bad, but it would be a difficult fight for them if gun owners rise up as one voice to show it didn't matter what weapons were available or unavailable.

:twocents:

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Is nothing sacred anymore? I am not a religious person, but there is just a level of respect that has to be honored. This is just crazy, I don't care if my worst enemy was in a church, you do not disrespect a place of worship.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm a member of a very large church on the southside of Indy. I think it's time I find out and my church's position on CCW. I always carry, but I've never asked the official position.

I think this might be a don't ask, don't tell item with most churches.
    If a incident where to happen, and you was carrying one of two things will happen, they'll ban you from the church, or they'll thank the lord for having a member who cared for their/yours safety.

It's a catch 22 situation, love your church and want to stay, or risk the possibility of them ushering you out the door.

I carry on a occasion to church, wife gives me a look, but understands even more after today's episode.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    I believe the members of the church should sue the State of Illinois for violating their 2nd amendment right to carry to protect themselves from this kind of thing happening.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Obviously this sad case also cries out for strict knife controls as well.

I once again had my .38 snubnose stuck in my waistband this morning. I agree this seems to be a good, don't ask don't tell sort of thing.

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    we have had a lot of new members out at our church. might be a good idea to start. the good news is, i'm a member of the praise band and we are involved in several small groups. the pastor is 2 years my elder, 29, and we have had this discussion many times. it was agreed that "don't ask don't tell" is the best bet and he'll feel more secure knowing that someone in the congragation is able to protect that which we hold most sacred in our community.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Legally carried firearms are no problem at the church I pastor. I already know that there is at least one regularly carried handgun in the church. :patriot:

There are some deeply disturbed people in the world. Some of them think God is to blame for all their troubles and take their rage out on His people.

Clay Duster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Take his dead body to the court house and stick it up on the flag pole....
    The bad guy that is......
    This stuff happens when states limit the people on rights...
    If you commit a crime with a gun you should pay the ultimate price.
    These dumb a$$es in government will never learn...
    No matter how many laws you put in place, bad people will always do bad things.
    If all we had were rocks, BG would use them for harm.

Top Bottom