• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrobnoxious1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Plymouth
    My church is used as a private school through the week, just looking for a clarification.
    What about home schooled? IC says any public or private, k-12.

Just trying to ensure I don't commit a felony.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not sure what your question is.

If a church has school or daycare, it's considered school grounds 24/7.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    And if your home is also a school you can still carry there.

The IC doesn't say "no carry at a school". It says "no carry at a school unless you have permission from the school administration" which, in a home school situation, is you.

The above also applies to the church school. If the school administration, whoever that may be, gives you permission to carry there then you're completely legal.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Is the school actually located in the church building or are they two separate buildings on two separate properties? I can only think of 3 churches in your area that have schools. St. Michael's is 2 separate buildings separated by a street. (just park around the corner) Grace Baptist is 2 separate buildings on 2 different parcels separated by a creek and a bridge. (park at the church and don't cross the bridge with your firearm) I believe Faith Baptist has a school, and theirs is actually in the church building. (talk to the pastor and see if he will give you permission to be on the "church security team". Get this permission in writing)

ETA: In a home school situation, YOU are the administrator, and can therefore give yourself permission to carry.

The school board/church board/pastor/administrator can also give you permission to carry on the property.
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Heartland has a school, and my son attends church, and wants to be a minister and carry.

Ministers shouldn't carry! What about "turning the other cheek"? :eek:

I forgot about Heartland. I guess you are going to have to either talk to him and see if you can get permission, or go without carrying. Another option is to park at Martins Supermarket and lock your gun in the car, then walk across the field to church.

Top Bottom