• ...and so much more!
  • bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I bought one of these:

MicroLux ML4000DBK 7-Stage UV Ion Air Purifier with Remote, Black Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0060SHSS8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wQO8ub17SQB3Z

Turned the ozone on full blast for a couple days, driving it once a day or so with the windows open, and the smell was completely eliminated and never came back. It's meant for an entire house, so the ozone scent is rather intense in an area as small as a car but it does the job.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man I really hope you get the smell out... Sadly some cars that are super bad never rid themselves of the smoke smell!

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Sprays and ozone machines doesn't really get at the source of the smell, does it?

Sprays, no, but the ozone machines are marketed as actually breaking down the chemical structure of the smell (and damaging living tissue, which is why you really want to air it out after it's done).

I should mention I bought it to de-stink a house before moving in. Car was just a bonus. Worked great for both.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The car isn't so bad that you or I would gag, just a stench...going to replace cabin air filter monday when I pick up the car, then find a good detailer to clean the ceiling, seats, and carpet.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Ozone machine works wonders if the smoker wasn't a really heavy smoker. I worked for a while for a buddy of mine that had a car lot. Somethings we would leave in in the car for days. If it's bad enough you'll need to replace the headliner. Maybe even have the heating & cooling ducts remove & washed. Maybe even the ac/heater cores too. Better be a nice car to put all that in to.

I always smell the headliner above the drivers seat. If it smells like a ashtray I don't give a :poop: how cheap it is. I'll pass. Let a smoker buy it.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Ozone is really bad for your lungs. In high enough concentrations it will scare your lungs. Make sure you let the car air out before you get in it. Safety first

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Buy a can of cheap coffee grounds, dump coffee grounds on cookie sheet and leave in the car for days, the smell will go away.

I find detailing the car helps a ton, you would be surprised what the windows look like with the smoke film on them, use some nasty windex with tons of ammonia and it will help break it up.

The sun is natural ozone, leave the windows cracked and it will help lift the smell over time.

Top Bottom