• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Everyone likes macanudo's. They're not GREAT, but they're not BAD either. They're a go to cigar from someone in your situation who doesn't know the recipients preferences.

If I didn't know someone's preferences, I wouldn't buy them a cigar. I wouldn't give Macanudos or Acids to an experienced cigar smoker nor would I give a full bodied cigar to a noob. If it's a seasoned cigar smoker, odds are they won't touch either of the aforementioned sticks.

Not a single Macanudo in here.

CoBnNlP.jpg

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    OP, there's a cigar place down around the Fashion Mall. Opposite the mall on 82nd. Not sure of the name. It's a cigar bar. You might try there to find what you're looking for.

Edit: It may the Blend Bar. I just remember seeing it last time I was down that way.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=indianapolis cigar bar

I used to frequent there a few years ago when I worked in the area. At that time it was called the Indy Cigar Bar. If it's still the same place and tbe same owner, thet should have a pretty good selection of sticks.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If I didn't know someone's preferences, I wouldn't buy them a cigar. I wouldn't give Macanudos or Acids to an experienced cigar smoker nor would I give a full bodied cigar to a noob. If it's a seasoned cigar smoker, odds are they won't touch either of the aforementioned sticks.

Not a single Macanudo in here.

CoBnNlP.jpg

Fair enough. I am not an afficianado, so take his opinion ^
    get a gift certificate instead.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    If you're looking for cigar opinions, this ain't the board to be asking.

You know what cigars people smoke that don't know any better? Acids. They are to cigars to what Boones Farm is to wine.

Fair enough but for a few bucks a piece vs whatever they are worth a try .. Not everyone is hoity toity

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    If you're looking for cigar opinions, this ain't the board to be asking.

You know what cigars people smoke that don't know any better? Acids. They are to cigars to what Boones Farm is to wine.
    :dunno:

Everyone likes macanudo's. They're not GREAT, but they're not BAD either. They're a go to cigar from someone in your situation who doesn't know the recipients preferences.
    Yep, they are a good shot in the dark type of Cigar. Most anyone who's not a douche won't be offended by this sort of gift. And if they are take em back and smoke them yourself.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    All I'm saying is I don't know of seasoned smokers who've developed their palate into smoking full bodied cigars revert to smoking the mild stuff and especially Acids. By the same token, I wouldn't send full bodied sticks to a noob cuz there are some that I guarantee will make you throw up if you're a noob. The thought would certainly be appreciated, but I'd lay my odds that the recipient would most likely sit it in the humidor and eventually given to someone else new to cigars. When I've "bombed" cigars to others on cigar forums, I get a sense of what they like by knowing their post history and their tastes. I'd ask the recipient in a roundabout way what he/she liked and then grab something to fit that profile rather than just going in blind.

If you wanna get laughed at like wallet guy or the last tough guy not impressed with your stats/signatures, go onto a cigar board bragging how great of a cigar an Acid or Gurkha is.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I get where you're going with it. I've never delved too deeply into Cigars myself, I'll try a new one here or there. I've sat in some smoke rooms and it's generally like Jail, you stick with your own like kind. I've smelled some very expensive "fancy" cigars that smell like burnt carpet, and the upper crust swoon over them. I generally stick with an entry level myself, when I've had the chance I've grabbed a box of Montechristo or Cohiba.

The only cigars I've turned my nose up to are the Thug popular flavored swisher. If someone gives me a cigar and I don't like the smell I generally just pass them off to someone else. It's like beer, free beer is always good beer! :laugh:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    All I'm saying is I don't know of seasoned smokers who've developed their palate into smoking full bodied cigars revert to smoking the mild stuff and especially Acids. By the same token, I wouldn't send full bodied sticks to a noob cuz there are some that I guarantee will make you throw up if you're a noob. The thought would certainly be appreciated, but I'd lay my odds that the recipient would most likely sit it in the humidor and eventually given to someone else new to cigars. When I've "bombed" cigars to others on cigar forums, I get a sense of what they like by knowing their post history and their tastes. I'd ask the recipient in a roundabout way what he/she liked and then grab something to fit that profile rather than just going in blind.

If you wanna get laughed at like wallet guy or the last tough guy not impressed with your stats/signatures, go onto a cigar board bragging how great of a cigar an Acid or Gurkha is.

-1 Gurkha.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Forgop is correct. Though I am not sure I have ever met anyone not impressed by my avatar (cuz Howard is damn cool!), the pallat of a cigar smoke is no different than a gun owner. Some like revolvers, others polymer pistols, others 1911's, some AK's, other's AR's. Trying to guess from the outside is difficult. I tried to go with the '10/22' of cigars. So, perhaps the best bet is a gift certificate if they can't determine specifically what cigar the recipient likes.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    OP, there's a cigar place down around the Fashion Mall. Opposite the mall on 82nd. Not sure of the name. It's a cigar bar. You might try there to find what you're looking for.

Edit: It may the Blend Bar. I just remember seeing it last time I was down that way.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=indianapolis cigar bar

Yea, Blend. They cater to a higher end clientele. It was Indy Cigar Bar, but moved to a new building next to Joe's Crab Shack. Carmacks (my favorite) or Cigar Box are better choices for a more reasonably priced gift. I would have given a Palio cutter or Xikar lighter instead of a cigar since I don't know what the guy smokes. Or a Padron, my favorite since I moved past Macanudos (great entry level tasting cigar, though).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As a guy who actually owns a cigar lounge I see a huge amount of BULL$#IT posted in this thread about cigar smokers and what they like.

Some folks here say that no experienced smoker will like a Ghurka and that is simply wrong. There is no argument that Ghurka makes a lot of over-hyped cigars, but they also make a few, only a few, select awesome smokes. As for the guys who smoke them, I have friends who have been smoking for longer than most people on this forum have been alive, and they will smoke their real Cuban Bolivars, Monte #2 and Ramon Allones, and they will also pick up an occasional Ghurka like the Beauty or even grab a Macanudo (typically a Mac Cru Royale or one of the limited "vintage" series Macs). I know guys who have been smoking for DECADES and they favor mild cigars and guys who have been smoking for DECADES who only pick up full bodied cigars. I know guys who smoke 5 to 10 a day, some start the morning with a strong cigar and work through the day going to milder cigars while others start mild and work up to full. What I have learned is that "To each their own" is the only way to describe the so-called typical cigar smoker.

Acid, that is a different beast all together. Its a perfumed cigar, I know of ZERO experienced smokers who prefer those, or who even pick them up for an occasional smoke. But I do know a lot of under 35 year olds who gravitate to them on a very regular basis like a moth to a flame. So to each their own.

I've cut back on my cigars but I probably smoke more cigars than all of the guys on this thread put together. Do I pick up a Ghurka or a Macanudo every once in a while? Sure, when something new comes out I'm willing to give it a try. Will I smoke an Acid? The only one I will smoke, and that is about 1 per year, is the ExtraOrdinary Larry.

Top Bottom