• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I'm looking for a cigar recommendation. I gave up cigarettes about a year ago and would like to have a cigar around for special occasions. Not really sure what I'm looking for except something that is mild with some tobacco flavor. I guess I'm looking for a starter cigar if such a thing exists.

Thanks

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    I'm looking for a cigar recommendation. I gave up cigarettes about a year ago and would like to have a cigar around for special occasions. Not really sure what I'm looking for except something that is mild with some tobacco flavor. I guess I'm looking for a starter cigar if such a thing exists.
    Thanks

What is your budget like for cigars? Generally speaking, the milder ones are of higher quality and cost more. If you want to have some lying around for special occasions, then you're presumably going to be buying more than one at a time. That means you're going to need someplace to store them--and no, you cannot stick your cigars in a ziplok bag & store them in the fridge or freezer.

You also need to consider things like cigar length and ring size (diameter) that will have an effect on how mild it is and how long it stays mild and mellow. Finding a cigar you like is a very personalized process, and the top-notch cigar that someone else likes may not appeal or work out for you at all. This is the case with me & my Medic partner--he knows his cigars, but whenever he recommends one to me, I mark it off in my mind as one to never try. ;)

Now, I try to keep my cigar budget pretty low, as I prefer to use my disposable income for ammunition, so my two recommendations for an affordable, mild smoke are the Casa Blanca Reserve #5, and the Macanudo Duke of Devon.

If you go to Cheap Humidors Cigar Humidor Cigar Accessories CheapHumidors.com you can download a free e-book that will give you some advice on getting started with cigars.

One of the best pieces of advice is to take a trip to your local cigar store and ask the owner what he recommends. If you're in the Greenwood area, this means a trip to the Pipe Puffer (across from the mall on the Logans side). Dave is a cranky bastard, but he knows his stuff and will get you set up (plus he is totally Pro-2A, and the conversations there are never boring).

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I quit smoking cigars last year on March 27th. (My hands are shaking as I type this just thinking of a nice cigar to chomp.) I have a humidor that I don't want or need. It's a small one, looks nice. Needs a new gage in it as I gave the one it came with to my cousin. If you want it you can have it.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If you want to keep a fine premium cigar around, it has to be kept in a humidor and it kept properly humidified. Otherwise buy a stick or two at a time and enjoy them right away. I think a Macanudo is a good mild cigar for most beginners. Cigars are like guns, you get what you pay for. If you want to go cheap then you will sacrifice some quality. That isn't saying you have to pay $20 a cigar for a gurkha but if you pay a dollar or less the wrapper will likely not be as good, the draw may not be just right, the taste may be off, if it is short cut filler you will get more floaters in your mouth.

If you are NW Indiana, you might get with melensdad, he owns a shop of in that neck of the woods. He seems like a genuinely nice guy that would give you a lot of good information there at his shop.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Not preaching here, but are you sure you want to do that. I quit smoking cigarettes 6 yrs ago and would love to smoke a couple of pipes that I still have (tobacco pipes, thank you :D) but I know, just like a crack addict, if I smoke them I will be right back on cigarettes and I don't want to chance it. It was hard enough quiting the first time, I don't want to do that again.

Good luck to you.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    One of the best pieces of advice is to take a trip to your local cigar store and ask the owner what he recommends. If you're in the Greenwood area, this means a trip to the Pipe Puffer (across from the mall on the Logans side). Dave is a cranky bastard, but he knows his stuff and will get you set up (plus he is totally Pro-2A, and the conversations there are never boring).
    +1 for all stated comments included above.

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    I am no expert, but what I have found is that the cheaper the Cigar, the more harsh it gets at the end of the smoke. For a long time this ruined cigars for me. I never smoked them often, but when I did, I would get in to the cigar only to have it be terrible at the end.

I was turned on to Davidoff recently and can say that these do not suffer from this. They are smooth the whole way. They are more pricey, but I have one as a treat, so I want to have something good.

Indy Cigar Bar is a great little cigar bar by the Keystone mall here in Indy. I would check them out. Cory is the owner and is a great guy for advise or just to shoot the ****.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Do it!

Try a Macanudo, Helix, or CAO Gold for milder cigars. Fonseca is also nice.

Avoid the the words fuerte or ligero. Those are usaully stonger.

Don;t worry about the cigarette thing. I quit cigarettes in 1996. Started cigars (a few a month) in 2002. Nevere even thought of a cigarette. Cigars are a totally different mindset. Have one with your favorite libation (congacs, scotches, and dark rums work well) or a nice strong coffee.

An INGO Cigar summit would be a great idea as well!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Try calling into this guys show and ask for a recommendation. I think he sends out several cigars for listeners to try. They just replayed one of his broadcasts from a cigar show. Some company had given him a $100 (that's each) cigar to try. He's on xm on Saturdays I believe and has a pretty good show. Talks about politics, booze, cigars, etc.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I keep a humidor pretty full most of the year. I get most of my stuff from Cigars International. I prefer Drew Estate to most others, their JAVA line is fantastic (watch out for those mudaro wrappers).

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    I have a Humidor full if you want to try a couple mild ones out. I usually smoke the full bodied cigars but I do have a few Fuente's, CAO's, Punch and Romeo Y Julieta's that are mild. Sometimes the medium bodied cigars have a better flavor to someone thinking mild.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Before Lung cancer put an end to my enjoyment of a good smoke, I was very fond of an occasional Arturo Fuente Churchill with a maduro wrapper (sigh).

Top Bottom