• ...and so much more!
  • andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    I'll admit I'm torn.

While I think it will be a good motivator for some, if not most parents.

What is the likelihood that, if that child is bullying because he is being bullied at home, it will make home matters worse.

Time will tell, I suppose.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    It's catering to the already declining state of independently capable citizens.

What I mean is, it's an attempt to get ONE demographic of parent to take responsibility for their kids' behavior, while completely usurping the need for another demographic of parent to do the same.

There are two sides to the "bullying" equation. One which allows "bullying" to go on and may even promote it. The other which fails to teach kids the responsibility of standing up for themselves and that the world isn't all "fuzzy bunnies and rainbows, just cry enough to get your way and let others handle your problems."

There needs to be a happy balance between the two and this is a completely one sided attempt at solving it which in turn creates other problems. I can sum up this train of though by asking one simple question: "Who gets to decide what is defined as/considered "bullying" and what isn't since they get to now punish everyone for it at will and make money doing it?" It's easy to cry wolf to get your way or retaliate. Is that the lesson we want to teach kids?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    This does sound like a good law in theory, but I thinking what andski is thinking. What happens if the parents take it out on the kid? Or perhaps that's an upside. A bit of corporal punishment might fix the problem. As long as a stern whipping doesn't turn into abuse...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Maybe it sounds good in theory, but in practice a widespread policy like this would be a disaster for some kids.

How do you define "bullying"?
    The devil is in the details.

I remember as a kid having the misfortune of being tall for my age.

I was expected to put up with all physical and verbal abuse from my peers, and if I DARE do anything to stand up for myself, I was the "bully" because I was taller.

So in my case, my parents would've been prosecuted every time I "dared" to stand up for myself. (which I was unjustly punished for enough as it was)

The REAL way to deal with bullying is, as long as there's not a big disparity of force, let the kids work it out themselves.
    Or if some kid is dumb enough to slug another kid twice his size, let him suffer the consequences. :-)

ONLY step in if it's a case of a kid getting picked on who can in NO way defend their self.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Nice to see some of you leftys libs show your faces.

Really? "Bullying" fines? What's next, underwear police?

Seriously. Give the politicians more control why don't ya!

Soon you'll be fined and arrested for thought rape simply for looking at another person.

If you really want to fine parents, fine both parties: one for raising a meaner head and the other family for raising a pansy.

Teach your kids both mentally and physically how to take a stand!

It's not the gooberments position to protect them!!!!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Nice to see some of you leftys libs show your faces.

Really? "Bullying" fines? What's next, underwear police?

Seriously. Give the politicians more control why don't ya!

Soon you'll be fined and arrested for thought rape simply for looking at another person.

If you really want to fine parents, fine both parties: one for raising a meaner head and the other family for raising a pansy.

Teach your kids both mentally and physically how to take a stand!

It's not the gooberments position to protect them!!!!

OO-freakin-RAH!!! :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was much younger a man named Dr. Spock wrote a book on raising children. It was accepted by all the left wingers as how to do the difficult job of being a parent. He advocated sparing the rod. No physical punishment and stressed building self esteem.
    Self esteem is self taught through life's lessons and sparing the rod in my case would have set me on the path to becoming a felon.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    When I was much younger a man named Dr. Spock wrote a book on raising children. It was accepted by all the left wingers as how to do the difficult job of being a parent. He advocated sparing the rod. No physical punishment and stressed building self esteem.
    Self esteem is self taught through life's lessons and sparing the rod in my case would have set me on the path to becoming a felon.
    NOW I remember. Haven't read it, but have gotten cliff's notes versions before.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    :popcorn:

I'm a little torn to. There's not doubt that bullying can have long lasting effects on the emotional well being of a child. But I don't believe a fine for the parents will be an effective solution. All families involve should be "encouraged" to attend some type of counseling to find out what the root cause to the problem is. The example above of the father of a bully being a bully is a good point.

Top Bottom