• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    BOULDER, CO -- A woman's complaint has drawn attention to a city's policy to allow police to routinely enter homes that are unlocked.

Chrissy Smiley returned from walking her dog to discover that police had entered her home while she was walking. He left his business card on her kitchen table. When she called the number, the officer explained that "he felt he had probable cause to make sure that [she] was safe." She added that she found the officer's explanation unsettling.

"I have nothing to hide. My house is really clean, there are not bongs lying around. It's just creepy that someone would come in when I am not there."

"We absolutely do not do these things on a whim," said Sgt. MacPherson. "We always knock and announce before entering."

Boulder woman disturbed by police policy to enter unsecured residences

1002406_537311449639694_2126481553_n.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It used to be we locked our doors to keep the criminal element from walking in.

I have seen the full evolution of the trends with doors in my lifetime. I can remember not bothering to lock doors at all, then locking them to keep out criminals, and now we have to lock them to keep out selected police (i.e., those who do not respect a closed door). It would be different if the officer in question noticed the door swinging free (indicative of a condition not intentionally created by the owner) and no one answered a knock or shout.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    It would be different if the officer in question noticed the door swinging free (indicative of a condition not intentionally created by the owner) and no one answered a knock or shout.

From what I understood in the link, what he noticed was an open sliding door. There is no specific mention of whether he knocked, though, and I am not certain how an open door (by itself) justifies police entry.

Smiley, a Boulder resident for 28 years, said she routinely leaves her sliding glass door open when she leaves the house for short amounts of time. To access it a person must open a latching gate, go up some stairs to reach an elevated deck where the door is located.

Smiley said she never uses her front door, which also opens onto the deck, but that entrance to her condo is always locked.

At first I thought the sliding door was a back door, but the mention that the front door is on the same deck (and that she lives in a condo) may indicate that the sliding door is visible from the street and would certainly be visible during a "perimeter check" if she failed to answer the front door (even if the sliding door cannot be seen from the street.) As they were attempting to server a summons, I would not think a walk around the porch is out of order. OTOH, a walk around the outside seems OK in this case but entry is another matter.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It sounds like there may be some history between Smiley and her local PD. Still though, unless they have a warrant or some exigent circumstance exists, keep out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ...a Boulder police officer sitting on her dining room table.

I wonder if she had some sort of attractive nuisance inside her house...If she had a box of Krispy Kremes there on her dining room table, well then she was asking for it!

:D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    " There are situations which create a duty for officers to enter and check residences. Failure to do so creates liability for that officer and agency."

" He added that the practice is backed by sound legal reasoning and is consistent with best practices for law enforcement agencies " .

I thought the supreme court ruled that police have no duty to "protect and serve " ?

This bugs the crap out of me , It's wrong period .

I guess the 4th amendment means nothing anymore .

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    " There are situations which create a duty for officers to enter and check residences. Failure to do so creates liability for that officer and agency."

" He added that the practice is backed by sound legal reasoning and is consistent with best practices for law enforcement agencies " .

I thought the supreme court ruled that police have no duty to "protect and serve " ?

This bugs the crap out of me , It's wrong period .

I guess the 4th amendment means nothing anymore .

I enter unlocked homes when I'm dispatched to alarms there.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I enter unlocked homes when I'm dispatched to alarms there.

Denny I fully expect you to do you do diligence when you have to respond to a alarm call.

BUT.....

Question for you, what do you think that the Boulder Colorado Police Department reaction be to an officer being shot because a homeowner came home, did not see a marked squad car and came in seeing a man turned sideways just enough to not be able to identify him, but to see that he is armed and the armed home owner fires upon him, killing the officer?

Top Bottom