Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Now, here's what the Bible says.

"Surely there is Not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins." Ecclesiastes 7:20

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8

"As it is written, 'None is righteous, no, not one; No one understands, no one seeks God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; No one does good, not even one." Romans 3:10-12...

You can't leave out Romans 3:23.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Did I really just watch Penn and Teller try to load off-scale toy animals onto a plastic toy battleship to show that the flood in the bible never happened?

These guys are a joke.

Check out Siegfried and Roy's explanation of how people evolved from amoebas. :):

Yeah... never mind.

T.Lex, I was enjoying the debate and did not intend disrespect. I hope the discussion causes spiritual growth and not discouragement.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You can't leave out Romans 3:23.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" -- Romans 3:23

When Paul wrote Romans, Jesus had already lived, died, and resurrected. Paul knew about Christ's mother, Mary. She was a faithful Jew; our sister in Christ. She was not an exception to God's Word; ALL of us are sinners, flawed, and therefore need a savior. She ought not be "Hailed" as a sinless human. More importantly, Catholics should not teach such dangerous and misleading doctrines about the nature of sin. The scriptures speak for themselves on this.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One of my law professors likened constitutional strict constructionists to Protestants and constitutional "living document" loose-constructionists to Catholics (and of course, this is a "by and large" comparison that is not meant to be perfect or all-encompassing).

Like a strict constructionist believes the Constitution means exactly what the framers said and meant at the time, a Protestant believes that the Bible means what it says without later interpretations, additions or clarifications.

The "loose constructionist" believes that the Constitution is a "Living Document" where judicial interpretation changes the meanings over time to comply with the ideas of the Constitution, though not necessarily the text as originally written. Likewise, Catholics believe that the Pope and various Diets and pronouncements can add to the Scripture and change and amend the understanding over time with authority equal to Scripture.

Like I said- not a 100% accurate comparison, but an interesting way of thinking about issues.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    re: Catholic doctrine vs. the Bible

Indeed, and as I mentioned in the former thread where this came up, that kind of language is easy, but somewhat imprecise. Generally, they ask for intercession with God or direction for the individual. Along the lines of, "St. Jude, help me to deal patiently with my hardships."

To me, that's not exactly worshiping St. Jude.

Does not God want us to be stronger, wiser, more protective of each other? Praying to saints for help in being better Christians does not seem unChristian to me.

What is there to refute? Giving all praise and affection to God is not mutually exclusive to praying for the intercession of the saints. Just as they are able to intercede (or try), they are also conduits to God of our love an intention.

This is what makes sense to me.

Let's leave aside the debate over whether such prayers, specifically the ones to Mary, fit the definition of worship. Let's focus strictly on this question: "Is it biblical to ask any deceased human, or an angel, for a favor directly through prayer?"

We have ample reason to ask for prayer from the living. We are supposed to be praying for each other, and requesting prayers. All examples of prayer in the bible are prayers sent directly to God. We have not seen any biblical evidence that we can invoke our saintly ancestors for extra help in reaching God. In thousands of verses, the bible shows nobody praying to Abraham, Moses, Jacob, David, Adam, after their respective deaths, or asking them to intercede. To the contrary, we have indication that invoking the dead is condemned.

I understand that people do this with good intentions, but we know where those lead. At some point we need to point to a chapter and verse.

Again, intentional or not, this is a misrepresentation. We do not "have" to insert someone. We can if we want. It is optional, but recommended, to confess to a priest. To me, it is akin to having a "sponsor" in AA to keep people honest. We are human. Humanly frail and subject to rationalization. Saying our sins out loud is important to truly changing our ways.

According to Catholic doctrine, confessing to a priest is not optional. Confession is a holy sacrament in and of itself, and an obligation before communion. A person who never "goes to confession" would be disobedient and unworthy of participating in Eucharist. Here's what U.S. Catholic published on the subject:

"Finally, we are obligated to go to confession because participation in the Eucharist is our greatest joy and privilege, as well as a duty (at least once a year, preferably during the Easter season, but that's just the bare minimum). To participate worthily, we must be free of mortal sin." -- U.S. Catholic, Vol. 77, No. 6, p. 46

Purgatory does not cheapen Christ's work. To even get to Purgatory, one must follow Christ's example. Purgatory is "punishment" only in the sense that standing in line at Kings Island to ride the Vortex is punishment (which, BTW, I [strike]had[/strike] got to do with my kid's class trip this past weekend). Once in Purgatory, the good news is that Heaven will be the next step, eventually.

We can only go from the details we are given in scripture. Christ says he completely redeems us. Faith in him, by the grace of God, makes us pure, blameless, and holy. We've been promised salvation.

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace that he lavished on us." Ephesians 1:7

"All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure." 1 John 3:3

Is Christ deceiving us? Is his blood not enough? Will He burn His children with fire?

If we doubt his promises, is that not an admission of faithlessness? Remember, faith is the vehicle to salvation. Purgatory is an insidious way to sew distrust in Christ!

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yet these heresies are continued to be taught to Catholic children, century after century.

T.Lex, I was enjoying the debate and did not intend disrespect. I hope the discussion causes spiritual growth and not discouragement.

My friend in Christ, I am absolutely comfortable in my religion and my faith journey. I did not reach this point on the path lightly, or without examining my own conscience, or without thinking critically about my faith. You cannot do anything to distort my spiritual growth. You, calling me a heretic, says more about you than it does of me.

Yet, I will admit, at a personal level, your fully-formed sentiment is discouraging, disrespectful, and divisive. It reveals that you are not interested in learning, or growth, or even civility on this topic. In one fell swoop, you showed that you are only interested in being right-ier than the rest of us.

I do not have all the answers, but I have my own answers to your questions. I am more than willing - and I believe I've shown this over the years - to support my positions. But now, it isn't even worth it to engage with you on this. You are firm and comfortable in your own faith, and that is a good thing.

Romans 12:3-5 said:
    For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

We will likely engage in political issues, where I believe we both have something of value to offer from different perspectives, but this Comparative Religion topic will likely be fruitless.

ETA:
    Tonight I had the unusual opportunity to attend Mass and say a couple decades of the rosary. I generally don't believe in coincidences, so I tried to sort out what God intended. (Particularly since the sister leading the rosary started out with the imperative that we should answer "Yes" when God asks something of us.) The second reading included the Romans verse I quoted. I found it apt.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One of my law professors likened constitutional strict constructionists to Protestants and constitutional "living document" loose-constructionists to Catholics (and of course, this is a "by and large" comparison that is not meant to be perfect or all-encompassing).

Where does that put the Orthodox? ;)

If we all truly wanted to practice as they did in the very beginning of the church, we'd be arguing over which Orthodox church is older.

Reminds me of a joke an Orthodox Priest told me when we were sitting next to each other on a flight from Chicago. (Somewhat ironically, I had just argued a death penalty case earlier that day.) So an Orthodox practitioner was stranded on a deserted island. Finally, in answer to his prayers, a boat came to rescue him. When his rescuers found him, they saw that he had built 2 churches out of palm trees.

"Why are there 2 churches?" they asked.

"Well," he replied, "This church is the church I go to. That one is the one I don't go to."

(Hey - there aren't that many Orthodox jokes out there, so they don't necessarily HAVE to be funny.) :)

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Say what you will, but Transubstantiation is a miracle, and Communion is, as a result, the most incredible feeling in the world. :)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Very interesting thread. I'm glad INGO had the guts to allow civil debate on religious ideas.

And now for something completely different... I attend a Mennonite Church. I am not Mennonite myself. They know my views on self-defense, which stands starkly in contrast to their stance on pacifism. They firmly believe we are called as Christians to "turn the other cheek" and to not use violence. They are guided by the idea that to defend oneself is a sin. They willingly choose to be a "sheep" in the face of aggression. I think it does help them with their focus on God's grace and protection. What do other members of INGO think?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    In response to the first thread getting so crowded and difficult to follow (Predict the 1st Banning for uncivil behavior in the new Religious Threads...) here is a new thread specifically to discuss aspects of this topic. As the weekend progresses I will attempt to pull the relevant bits out of the old thread and paste them into this one, in order to (attempt to) create one cohesive thread on the subject.

Have at it, INGO:
    You had me stuck at the title. Will there be all things Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Zoroastrian, or does 'religion' = Christianity. The merged discussions weren't limited to Christianity. Why the title?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They willingly choose to be a "sheep" in the face of aggression. I think it does help them with their focus on God's grace and protection. What do other members of INGO think?
    I'm cool with it.

I mean, it isn't the path that calls to me, but I understand how they could arrive at that method of practicing their faith.

Like with so many (maybe all?) of the various flavors, they are emphasizing one aspect of God's grace. It is a totally legitimate grace to emphasize, but there are other parts that resonate more with me personally.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Very interesting thread. I'm glad INGO had the guts to allow civil debate on religious ideas.

And now for something completely different... I attend a Mennonite Church. I am not Mennonite myself. They know my views on self-defense, which stands starkly in contrast to their stance on pacifism. They firmly believe we are called as Christians to "turn the other cheek" and to not use violence. They are guided by the idea that to defend oneself is a sin. They willingly choose to be a "LAMB" in the face of aggression. I think it does help them with their focus on God's grace and protection. What do other members of INGO think?
    1. FIFY
    2. It ain't easy living like a saint.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Post 93, and I'm still Catholic. Huh. Has anyone changed their mind on anything yet?

haha

Yeah, but I see this thread as doing 2 things:
    1) Letting Christians learn more about each other's faith sub-set; and,
    2) Providing a place for non-Christians to learn more about Christianity (perhaps lurk while doing so).

Ideally, this would be a neutral venue for this kind of dialogue.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    T.Lex said:
    You, calling me a heretic, says more about you than it does of me.

He didn't necessarily call you a heretic. He was pointing out a few catholic prayers that contain heresies. Calling Mary sinless... isn't that a heresy in the face of the scriptures?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He didn't necessarily call you a heretic. He was pointing out a few catholic prayers that contain heresies. Calling Mary sinless... isn't that a heresy in the face of the scriptures?

Semantically, I take it as an article of faith that she was. So, he considers me a heretic. How can that be interpreted any other way?

Moreover, if he considers it heresy (as you appear to), then there's no point in further discussion of the matter. You've already dismissed any counter-point.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    T.Lex said:
    Semantically, I take it as an article of faith that she was. So, he considers me a heretic. How can that be interpreted any other way?

I think you're being rather dramatic with the term. Anybody with a misconception of the bible might be called a heretic, by that standard.

T.Lex said:
    Moreover, if he considers it heresy (as you appear to), then there's no point in further discussion of the matter. You've already dismissed any counter-point.

He's simply making the case that it is contrary to scripture. Which is the definition of heresy. If you think it's not, make your case. Maybe you're right and he's wrong.

I, for one, am genuinely curious how you reconcile this article of faith with scriptures that appear to indicate that it can't be true.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom