• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well THIS was interesting. Jesus' birthday is actually Sept 11, 3 BC? Interesting theory backed by prophecy/astronomical/astrological data.

I'm not buying in 100%, but it is rather interesting.

I see it that if God wanted us to know the day in would easily be in the Bible for us to know. It wasn’t probably because He knew people would end up worshipping a day instead. I had always heard it was most likely in the spring time closer to his time of death.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I see it that if God wanted us to know the day in would easily be in the Bible for us to know. It wasn’t probably because He knew people would end up worshipping a day instead. I had always heard it was most likely in the spring time closer to his time of death.
    I've also heard this as well. And Sept of the year of his birth is closer to the spring that year, so thats not wrong. Possibly a miscalculation? (the spring theory)

Technically by including the description of the stars and planets and moons in the dead sea scrolls, the date is revealed to us subtly. (if accurate) I'm not going to get wrapped around the axle on this and proclaim it as Gospel, but it is interesting. It would be cool if it was true, but I dont think we should be changing anything.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Or the authors and audience of the day just didn't care about exact dates. It's not like they had wall calendars.

The desire for exactness in details skews more modern.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or the authors and audience of the day just didn't care about exact dates. It's not like they had wall calendars.

The desire for exactness in details skews more modern.
    True.

And something this big, who cares exactly what day he was born? It happened!!!!!!!! Oh, and BTW it happened this year. (more or less)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Luke 1:26
    If Mary conceived in the 6th month of the Hebrew calendar. Jesus wasn't born in September.
    If God can create the heavens and the earth in 6 days, Is he constrained by normal 9 month gestation? :stickpoke:

but seriously, Its ALL speculation. Nobody really paid that much attention to specific dates back then.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Luke 1:26
    If Mary conceived in the 6th month of the Hebrew calendar. Jesus wasn't born in September.
    Hold your horses. I just read several versions of that scripture.
    Its not the 6th month of the CALENDAR, but instead the 6th (of 9) month of Mary's PREGNANCY. Not the Jewish calendar.

The Birth of Jesus Foretold
    26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth...

So they arent referring to what we would say is June, but 3 months shy of Jesus' birth. Meaning it could be ANY month.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Its not the 6th month of the CALENDAR, but instead the 6th (of 9) month of Mary's PREGNANCY. Not the Jewish calendar.

So they arent referring to what we would say is June, but 3 months shy of Jesus' birth. Meaning it could be ANY month.
    After reading that over again I see that it could be talking about Elizabeth's pregnancy.

Luke 1:24-25 NKJV
    Now after those days his wife Elizabeth conceived; and she hid herself five months, saying,
    [25] "Thus the Lord has dealt with me, in the days when He looked on me, to take away my reproach among people."

Luke 1:26-27 NKJV
    Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, [27] to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin's name was Mary.

I had to read the whole chapter to get into context.

Luke 1:26-27 ESV
    In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, [27] to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin's name was Mary.

Luke 1:26-27 KJV
    And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, [27] To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

Luke 1:26-27 YLT
    And in the sixth month was the messenger Gabriel sent by God, to a city of Galilee, the name of which [is] Nazareth,
    [27] to a virgin, betrothed to a man, whose name [is] Joseph, of the house of David, and the name of the virgin [is] Mary.

Luke 1:26-27 NASB
    Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee named Nazareth, [27] to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the descendants of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary.

Or it could literally mean 6th month of the Hebrew calendar.
    I'll have to study it out more.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Since we are talking about John the Baptist, Mary and the visit of the angel, here is something else to think about. Christmas is celebrated on Dec 25th. Since Jesus is fully human and fully divine, the perfect human being, we celebrate the visit of the Angel Gabriel to Mary on March 25th, exactly 9 months before Christmas.

Jesus said of John the Baptist that he was the greatest man ever born. So 6 months before the the visit of Gabriel to Mary, we celebrate the conception of John the Baptist because he will prepare the way for Jesus. Then 9 months + 1 day, we celebrate the birth of John the Baptist.

Mary will be blessed by all generations. She is the greatest woman ever because she said yes to the Lord and gave birth to Jesus. So we also celebrate her conception. Then 9 months - 1 day later we celebrate her birth.

No matter how good we are we will never be as perfect as Jesus, but if we are preparing the way of the Lord and making his way known to others. If we are saying yes to letting God dwell in us and yielding our will to His, we can achieve great heights.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Well THIS was interesting. Jesus' birthday is actually Sept 11, 3 BC? Interesting theory backed by prophecy/astronomical/astrological data.

I'm not buying in 100%, but it is rather interesting.

As I understand it, based on the timing of the supernova that constituted the Star of Bethlehem, the birth is generally understood to have taken place around 4BC.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve also heard a theory that involved the father of John the Baptist. It is given when he was on duty in the temple and those schedules of the priests were strictly adhered to. The know which group of priests were on duty when the temple was destroyed and that lets them back out to know when John’s father’s group would have been on duty back in the scriptures and then being able to calculate to when Jesus was probably born within a week or two—somewhere between 12/25 and 1/6.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John

They did/do not use the Roman calendar. It was generally lunar based. Months were calculated differently back then. The first month of their calendar was Nissan, which occurs during common March/April.
    https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3921740/jewish/The-Jewish-Month.htm

Mary conceived 3 months shy of John's Birth.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They did/do not use the Roman calendar. It was generally lunar based. Months were calculated differently back then. The first month of their calendar was Nissan, which occurs during common March/April.
    https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3921740/jewish/The-Jewish-Month.htm

Mary conceived 3 months shy of John's Birth.
    This is just a theory so don't stone me.

For passover the Jews were instructed to set aside a lamb without blemish on 10 Nissan, and kill it on 14 Nissan.

Christ was the perfect lamb without blemish. I "think" He was born on 2 Nissan, and presented in the temple on 10 Nissan.

33 years later he was crucified on the day of preperation for the passover, which is 13 Nissan.

Now for the pop quiz. What kind of car did the apostles drive?

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    This is just a theory so don't stone me.

For passover the Jews were instructed to set aside a lamb without blemish on 10 Nissan, and kill it on 14 Nissan.

Christ was the perfect lamb without blemish. I "think" He was born on 2 Nissan, and presented in the temple on 10 Nissan.

33 years later he was crucified on the day of preperation for the passover, which is 13 Nissan.

Now for the pop quiz. What kind of car did the apostles drive?

1703878665722.png

Top Bottom