Civilian car that looks exactly like a police car...how close can it replicate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I drove a Crown Vic for a couple of years that I got for cheap. All you guys who think people will move out of your way because you're driving a "police car" are dead wrong. People don't move out of your way ... they do stupid things in front of you. Like slow down. Or swerve about as they try to put their seatbelts on and hide the one-hitter they're hitting. And lots of other things.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I drove a Crown Vic for a couple of years that I got for cheap. All you guys who think people will move out of your way because you're driving a "police car" are dead wrong. People don't move out of your way ... they do stupid things in front of you. Like slow down. Or swerve about as they try to put their seatbelts on and hide the one-hitter they're hitting. And lots of other things.

Same goes for marked police cars.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I worked at a Cottage Inn Pizza in Ann Arbor during school and was an assistant manager. One of our drivers drove a foor door Chrysler or Chevy ( it was so long ago...) he had it painted two tone black and white and his own weird symbol on the side. There were no issues with that part of it. What he did get pulled over for and told to change was the numbers on the roof of the car that could be read by helocopers.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Same goes for marked police cars.

I used to think "oh... there's no way so many people would do so much stupid **** right in front of the cops..." until I drove that car and saw it for myself. The panicked looks on people's faces as they saw me sitting there waiting on a light was actually pretty funny sometimes.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Things must've changed.
    Back in 1990ish when I had the car I described earlier in this thread, I would cruise along at 80mph or so on I-65, and most of the time, people did move over, and the truckers had me under constant scrutiny as evidenced by listening to channel 19.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I worked at a Cottage Inn Pizza in Ann Arbor during school and was an assistant manager. One of our drivers drove a foor door Chrysler or Chevy ( it was so long ago...) he had it painted two tone black and white and his own weird symbol on the side. There were no issues with that part of it. What he did get pulled over for and told to change was the numbers on the roof of the car that could be read by helicopters.

Change in what way? Different font? Use Roman numerals? :):

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I used to work for a medical transport company in college. All they had was old cop cars with their logo where the shield was. One car actually looked like a cop car with the black grill. I drove it to terre haute one day on a run, it was fun seeing all the people brake and slow down while I did five over on 41.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Things must've changed.
    Back in 1990ish when I had the car I described earlier in this thread, I would cruise along at 80mph or so on I-65, and most of the time, people did move over, and the truckers had me under constant scrutiny as evidenced by listening to channel 19.

Did it go a little something like this?

Breaker - breaker - one -nine...you got your ears on? I got a county mounty cruisin' up the fast lane. Better get your binders on...

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Change in what way? Different font? Use Roman numerals? :):

Get rid of it. It confused a copter once or something like that. We are talking Ann Arbor Michigan here.....

Edit: I think back on it and I recall it may have been to not confuse low flying aircraft in general.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom