• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Didn't read the article, but I believe We The People, can do better than that. But Yes, definitely a good start if the article is true

hopfdubois

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2017
    Dubois County
    This is good, but how many of those firearms are shotguns which would be ineffective against a military/police force with body armor? The American People are definitely better off than those of other countries, but I wouldn't call this a good start. Every American man owning an AR15, a stockpile of .556, body armor, hand grenades, and having an advanced understanding of warfare would be a good start. :rockwoot:

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    All the firearms in the world won't do you any good if you are not trained in warfare & have working communication with the others like you.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    All the firearms in the world won't do you any good if you are not trained in warfare & have working communication with the others like you.

Yep, that's what the British thought when the American Revolution began. I remember several years ago when one of the Russian leaders stated that the USA could never be occupied as too many civilians were armed. There is a difference between fighting a "war" against another country and defending the freedoms of a country. There are many examples of "revolutionaries" maintaining an action against a tyrannical government for several years without training or good communications, and in several cases disposing a government or at least the government leadership.

I am certainly not advocating a revolution, and definitely don't think the US will every have another in the foreseeable future, but history (and current world conditions) show that many citizen revolutions have been, and still are successful. Granted the US military has many weapons of mass destruction (like bombers, tanks missiles, etc.) but these are not usable unless you intend to destroy entire populations to ferret out a few revolutionaries in the area. One of the issues is that it is almost impossible to identify persons who are revolutionaries from the general population, when there are no uniforms or masses of fighters. Look at Vietnam, Afghanistan, Syria etc. In most cases 10% or less of the general population were successful in starting a revolution as was the case in the American Revolution. (90% usually are neutral when the revolutions start).

In the case of USA, it is against the constitution to use the military in the USA, any such action would immediately cause many quiet citizens to join in a revolution. I also know from retired military personnel I have spoken to that if the Government of the US required the military to take any action in the country like disarm the citizenry, the military would most likely revolt against the government. As some has said, they took an oath to defend the constitution, not the government!

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    This is good, but how many of those firearms are shotguns which would be ineffective against a military/police force with body armor? The American People are definitely better off than those of other countries, but I wouldn't call this a good start. Every American man owning an AR15, a stockpile of .556, body armor, hand grenades, and having an advanced understanding of warfare would be a good start. :rockwoot:

The real question is how many Americans could have all those things in a relatively short time period if in the case of foreign invasion of the United States.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I would prefer everyone be outfitted like a SEAL too, but the Iraqis and Afghans weren't against us or the Ruskies and seem to be doing OK.

Gotta stop wanting to fight war the way they do and think about how they don't want to fight a war.

Just :twocents: from a non-veteran, non-LEO, non-operator.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not just shotguns. How many .22s are included in the numbers. I don't know how many I have but there must be a dozen or so.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    In the case of USA, it is against the constitution to use the military in the USA, any such action would immediately cause many quiet citizens to join in a revolution.

Can you point out where in the Constitution that would be?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yep, that's what the British thought when the American Revolution began. I remember several years ago when one of the Russian leaders stated that the USA could never be occupied as too many civilians were armed. There is a difference between fighting a "war" against another country and defending the freedoms of a country. There are many examples of "revolutionaries" maintaining an action against a tyrannical government for several years without training or good communications, and in several cases disposing a government or at least the government leadership.

This really doesn't tell the truth of it. A rebellious colony that was seen as a periphery conflict really isn't comparable to modern times. If the British actually were able to mobilize, the could have easily crushed the Revolution. However, as is typical of most cases, conflicts closer to home tend to warrant the more serious response. The British were fighting the French, the Dutch, and the Spanish during the Revolution. If those conflicts hadn't existed, it's very likely that "God Save the Queen" would be our anthem, and the Union Jack hoisted above our buildings.
    And of course this doesn't even account for colonial American populace that was generally fit, and comparatively competent in use of martial arms out of necessity. Hot Pocket eating guys, with tactical cool stuff, yet can't knock out a 15 mile forced march (in 3 days, let alone a day), are hardly comparable. A strong belief, by those tasked to protect us, in the ideology that created our nation, is bulwark against our nation becoming completely tyrannical.

Top Bottom