• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am not sure of what you are looking for.

The DCM was created by an Act of Congress in the early 20th century with the mandate to promote marksmanship for both civilians and military personnel.

The CMP was created in 1994 by Congress to replace the DCM, as a private corporation tasked with promoting marksmanship for both civilians and military personnel. The CMP sells rifles to fund these activities.

Here is their website. www.odcmp.org

How can you think anything negative about the CMP? It is a part of our American heritage that is hanging on by a thread.

Why are you even asking the question? Why are you not participating in CMP matches? Why isn't everybody?

Or the Appleseed program?

Last edited:

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    It's a great program to support a great cause--and sells great rifles, ammunition, and accessories for great prices to support it. I've bought plenty from them and have always been satisfied.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Wow sloughfoot take a deep breath.

Patternpimp, CMP is good to go, Couple of threads on here about them. I've dealt with them on the phone,e-mail and in person(north store) and they have been great every time.
    I would not hesitate buying a Garand from them...Don't forget the ammo also!

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks for bringing it up Patternpimp. I had not heard of it. I'm not sure why Sloughfoot got so bent about your question.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    No offense taken, I know how easily some get bent out of shape. I was perusing the CMP website last night, I wasn't aware of such a program. Was looking for feedback mostly on programs affliated with CMP, such as weapon purchase, competitions and the sort. As for competition I wouldn't mind observing but I have no desire to take part.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I didn't mean to sound like I was bent out of shape. Sorry I came across that way....I would say the same thing to your face and it wouldn't sound like the printed version.

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Don't you have to participate in a course or club to buy from them ?

Yes. You have to join either CMP or an associated group to get the discount on rifles/ammo.
    A good group to join which makes you eligible for this is the RWVA(Revolutionary War Veterens Association). You may have heard of the Appleseed Project......It is a great program to be involved in that helps you improve your marksmenship and motivates you to become more involved(Be a RIFLEMAN). Check it out at RWVA.org
    Hope to see you on the forums.
    -KY Windage

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Gotta be a member of one of their affiliate clubs. There is a whole list on their site. You also have to have a LTCH, Hunter Ed Card, c&r, or something that shows you're not a noob to guns. Then for proof of citizenship you have to have a birth certificate or passport. The passport doesn't have to be current. The pic however has to look like you. Can't be one from when you were 5 weeks old. I only know cause I was up there a couple of weeks a go. I love it. I love my garand. No better WW2 rifle. I am bias of course.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Don't you have to participate in a course or club to buy from them ?
    You have to be a member of an NRA/CMP affiliated club that holds competitions like those held at Camp Perry: highpower rifle, smallbore rifle, bullseye pistol, etc. Some clubs that meet the definition are Fall Creek Valley conservation club, Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol club, Marion cnty Fish and Game association.
    I don't recall whether you have to actually compete, but why not? The shooting sports DEFINE friendly competition, it's normal for competitors to help each other. Forgot your mags? Use mine, I'm the 2nd relay; Your grip came loose/you broke your firing pin? Let me find my screw driver/spare firing pin--keep it I've got more at home. If you're a newbie you can expect people to loan you gear you don't have or know you needed.
    entry fees for club matches usually run $15-$20.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    If you beat the bushes on the CMP site you'll find a list of affiliated clubs you can join to meet that particular eligibility requirement.
    The Garand Collectors Association and The M14 Rifle Association are two.
    You'll need to send a copy of your proof of membership to the CMP along with the other required documents.
    Before you join one of these clubs check as to when the membership expires. Many expire at odd months all throughout the year.

And like was said your handgun permit will work as proof of having participated in a sanctioned event/trainig. I know that don't sound right, and some people like to argue about it, but it works for the CMP and that's all that matters.

If you round up a few more documents you'll be set.

I went to my bank to get copies of documents made. While I was at it I had them notorize all of the copies to prove they were legit.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    What I was hoping. Thanks for the great info.

And like was said your handgun permit will work as proof of having participated in a sanctioned event/trainig. I know that don't sound right, and some people like to argue about it, but it works for the CMP and that's all that matters.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Bullet point #5 Concealed carry license

Indiana's permit works for CMP requirements. Ask me how I know.

I suppose I'll ask then for the sake of clarity...I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you've walked into CMP and presented your LTCH with the other required paperwork and left with a firearm OR ordered a firearm via mail with the same documentation. :dunno: I'm not trying to be difficult - I just don't want someone to drive to Camp Perry or Anniston and leave disappointed is all.

I interpreted that same bullet point as having to have Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status for a Concealed Carry License, as that would then imply teaching a live fire course required for a license, not simply possessing such a license.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I suppose I'll ask then for the sake of clarity...I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you've walked into CMP and presented your LTCH with the other required paperwork and left with a firearm OR ordered a firearm via mail with the same documentation. :dunno: I'm not trying to be difficult - I just don't want someone to drive to Camp Perry or Anniston and leave disappointed is all.

I interpreted that same bullet point as having to have Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status for a Concealed Carry License, as that would then imply teaching a live fire course required for a license, not simply possessing such a license.

When I made a purchase via mail and filled out the forms and sent in the required documents and photo copies. I used my Indiana LTCH for the proof of marksmanship activity.

If you download the PDF forms for purchase it lists the CCW bullet point separately (it's on page 3 for qualifications)

Top Bottom