• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I wrote the DNR at Clark State forestry about us INGO'ers helping clean up the range, this is the response I got
    Now, to your offer. There are several issues involved – cleanup/maintenance being one of them. The other issues are unsafe shooting practices by individuals (as an example, the next time you’re out here, check out the pit toilet which has been repair and replaced 1 time each already), unacceptable “targets” being used (i.e. bottles, cans, skeet, televisions, recliners, propane tanks and the list goes on and on) and left at the range for our crews to deal with removing. This is totally unacceptable. There are a lot of good folk that use the range and, unfortunately, there are a few bad apples that are making it hard on everyone. One thought that we had was to set up a volunteer program that would have someone at the range to monitor and help streamline some problems and your offer fits right in with this train of thought on our part. We are collecting names and comments such as yours and I don’t anticipate that we will hold the public meeting until sometime in the spring. So, in the meantime, I will keep your contact information on hand and let you know what we come up with as the time gets closer. Let's all try to help out at the range, call them and give them your name, as I did...MrSmitty

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for letting us know what they said, I stoped by today and signed up:yesway: so im on there list to help out if the decied to go that rout.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I like that range, when its not over-run with people. I would love to see a LOT more order there. Its hard to get anything productive done down there when there are 30 people shooting all at once. I don't go there often, because its closed on Sunday. That being said, I would possible be interested in helping out however I can, as my work schedule allows.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I like that range, when its not over-run with people. I would love to see a LOT more order there. Its hard to get anything productive done down there when there are 30 people shooting all at once.

Yeah, I'd like to see more order and rule enforcement there as well. I'd hate for it to close, especially because people abuse it. The shot up out house, glass bottles used as targets, occasional furniture left on the range, make a very poor representation of the shooting community.

About the only time I shoot there any more is when it opens at sunrise. Not too many people are there weekday mornings that early. If you're not a member of a club it's about the only place to shoot in this area other than Louisville.

I'll give them my name next time I go.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I went this morning. The "Help Clean Up" sign-up sheet was MIA, but the sign-in sheet now has a place for email. My guess is that would be used to arrange a police call? just a guess.

I got there at 10am, 3 shooters already there. By 1pm, I had the place to myself for a while.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was at the range at sunup this morning and had the place all to myself for the hour I was there. What a therapeutic way to start out your day!

I had a long conversation with one of the ladies in the office. The issues they're having are serious enough that they could cause the range to close. I didn't get the impression that they want to close the range, but trying to keep it clean and safe is a drain on their resources. With tight budgets an unruly gun range seems like an easy thing to cut.

I was told there would be a public meeting to talk about the issues. This meeting will probably be at the range, but would not likely be before spring. As someone mentioned, the sign-in sheet now has a place for email address. When the meeting time and place is set they will inform people who've filled in the email and/or postal address on the sign-in sheet.

During our conversation she indicated that it would be a good idea to come prepared with suggestions for how to solve the issues. I think this thread would be a good place for organizing some ideas. I'd hate to see the range close.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If any of you guys want to meet up one morning there to shoot post it up here Id like to meet some of you fellas, Ill subcribe to the thread. I can always use another excuse to shoot my guns:D

Top Bottom