Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    View attachment 188519

I was out with a buddy of mine in a modified early model Malibu.

We came across one of these before we ever knew what they were.... I got my *** handed to me.

Great car of the day!
    When I get around to finding some pics, I owned 4 Turbo Buicks over about 15 years, 2000 to 2015, all the 86/87 intercooled models. 84/85 we're called hot air, no intercooler. Had a Grand National, couple Turbo Ts/ T-types, and an 87 stock Limited with about every option. Limited sticker was over 19k in 87! They have the Bowling Green Nationals I attended all those years and real cool old school track with all types of Buicks.

I learned so much about how to tune them and so many aftermarket parts are available. I ran methanol injection on one and it hooked hard and ran fast at the track on 25 lb boost with more if you wanted. 1.51 60ft, 11.0 @ 122 mph. You're making me miss them a bit but have moved on to other things. Stock one could run low 12s, which I got one set up for. I'd state eighth mile times but those aren't know as well. Eighth mile x 1.57 is about a quarter mile time.

I enjoy seeing all these vehicles! I recently stopped at a brewery in NM that had what I believe is a late 20s, early 30s Lincoln I will post pics of soon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I get around to finding some pics, I owned 4 Turbo Buicks over about 15 years, 2000 to 2015, all the 86/87 intercooled models. 84/85 we're called hot air, no intercooler. Had a Grand National, couple Turbo Ts/ T-types, and an 87 stock Limited with about every option. Limited sticker was over 19k in 87! They have the Bowling Green Nationals I attended all those years and real cool old school track with all types of Buicks.

I learned so much about how to tune them and so many aftermarket parts are available. I ran methanol injection on one and it hooked hard and ran fast at the track on 25 lb boost with more if you wanted. 1.51 60ft, 11.0 @ 122 mph. You're making me miss them a bit but have moved on to other things. Stock one could run low 12s, which I got one set up for. I'd state eighth mile times but those aren't know as well. Eighth mile x 1.57 is about a quarter mile time.

I enjoy seeing all these vehicles! I recently stopped at a brewery in NM that had what I believe is a late 20s, early 30s Lincoln I will post pics of soon.
    A friend down the street has a sweet GN in his garage with a fresh engine on a stems next to it. Been sitting that way for years. Said it was a retirement project. Go figure.
    “G” body’s are easy enough to make into decent drag cars. A set of poly bushings and a pinion snubber will fill the needs. Boxing the rear arms also helps.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So they would put it in a ice box or something to keep it cool?
    The box was like an old metal drink cooler. It would keep the milk for a while I guess. It was my job to go out and get the milk/bread when I woke up. 5 kids in the house we smashed some milk and bread.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The box was like an old metal drink cooler. It would keep the milk for a while I guess. It was my job to go out and get the milk/bread when I woke up. 5 kids in the house we smashed some milk and bread.
    And the milk jugs were glass with a paper cap. And usually had a "fat plug" in the top that you had to dig out to drink the milk.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Growing up right down the street from the speedway had a lot to do with this. Right era, right place.
    In my neighborhood there were sprint cars midgets drag cars all the way up to indy cars in peoples garages. Being inquisitive and also the area paper boy gave me an in to some of these behind the house shops. I grew up around it. Embraced it much to the chagrin of my parents but I was not to be denied.
    If I would have used my talents and moneys a bit differently I would probably have a nice place on some land but no memories of these great experiences. Thing about money is if you are motivated you can always make more of it.
    And I did.
    Those 2 midgets were my entry level into open wheel racing. That blossomed into having some opportunities to work on a professional level as a weekend warrior with some pretty stout teams over the years. The skills I learned doing that translated into my own cars and endeavors. The pick of the muddy blue midget is an example. Billly B and Greg are both pro-level indy car mechanics and 2 of my best friends. How many sportsman racers have a crew like that.
    When we built the cheater Autocraft for that car so it could run with the new engines and chassis I had input from some great people. Danny Crower (yes the cam guy) did our stroker crank for the engine. Had the pistons built and provided the right rods. He had a blank cam for that engine and bingo. Deluxe special grind right off his cam machine. I met Danny when Greg was working for the Menards Indy car team and I was hanging at the shop after hours with the engine guys helping with the dyno runs on the Indy qualy motors. It all snowballed once it started.
    Great story CM! Though I'm not unhappy, part of me wishes I wouldn't have listened to the family, in-laws and outlaws that since I was a kid tried to stifle my car interests. I remember sitting in elementary school classes drawing cars on the paper while the teacher droned on. Then it was diesel mechanic school combined with auto mechanics. My mom used to get so irritated with me when I stayed out all night wrenching on a friends car so we could go to the track.

Then after college, through a fair amount of persistence I scored a job with TRW. That was my gateway into the world I wanted to live in. At one point the "Motorsports Manager" position came up and I was offered it. But a director I talked to strongly suggested I don't take it. You see, I was married with a first child and the job required 44 weekends a year on the road. He said, "Greg, this is a job for a single guy. The guys that do this job basically have an address so mail can go somewhere. You will be at the tracks on the weekends, traveling to and from a couple more days and a day or so doing paperwork. You'd be lucky to get a day off."

I turned it down. The young, single guy who took it did it for two years and scored a dream job with Jack Roush.

I'm not really sorry I turned it down, because my marriage may not have survived that, but I am reminded of a saying:

Every so often, life presents a great moment of decision, an intersection at which a man must decide to stop or go; a person lives with these decisions forever.

But hey, I'm in a decent position now as far as family and contentment and I will have a new project in my garage soon! Life is okay.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We had a milk box on the front porch also. It was a galvanized box that held 4 glass bottles of milk. I think they were 1/2 gal each?

McDonalds Dairy, Flint, MI
    Use one on our porch for an ash tray/bourbon holder...

4DBgmIWl.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Great story CM! Though I'm not unhappy, part of me wishes I wouldn't have listened to the family, in-laws and outlaws that since I was a kid tried to stifle my car interests. I remember sitting in elementary school classes drawing cars on the paper while the teacher droned on. Then it was diesel mechanic school combined with auto mechanics. My mom used to get so irritated with me when I stayed out all night wrenching on a friends car so we could go to the track.

Then after college, through a fair amount of persistence I scored a job with TRW. That was my gateway into the world I wanted to live in. At one point the "Motorsports Manager" position came up and I was offered it. But a director I talked to strongly suggested I don't take it. You see, I was married with a first child and the job required 44 weekends a year on the road. He said, "Greg, this is a job for a single guy. The guys that do this job basically have an address so mail can go somewhere. You will be at the tracks on the weekends, traveling to and from a couple more days and a day or so doing paperwork. You'd be lucky to get a day off."

I turned it down. The young, single guy who took it did it for two years and scored a dream job with Jack Roush.

I'm not really sorry I turned it down, because my marriage may not have survived that, but I am reminded of a saying:

Every so often, life presents a great moment of decision, an intersection at which a man must decide to stop or go; a person lives with these decisions forever.

But hey, I'm in a decent position now as far as family and contentment and I will have a new project in my garage soon! Life is okay.
    I had to make near the same decision. I had several opportunities to go racing full time and it was good money but I had 2 beautiful kids and a wife that let me live the life I wanted. She said do it and I will cover you here but the reality of it was always a factor.

Sounds like we did it right

Top Bottom