• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    General question to all. Some are suggesting limiting the classifieds to Site Supporters only. How would this solve the "problem(s)" we have going on right now?

I wouldn't be optimistic any rule change would have a huge impact on the issues raised in this thread... An example would be the complaint in this thread and pricing on certain things.... A quick search through many threads on here and it's quickly obvious even the contributing members on here have differing opinions on the " free market " vs " gouging "...

There is one thing I have always wondered though. Would it be possible to lock down the classifieds so only the members who have met one of the two requirements could even view them ? I understand this would have absolutely no impact on many of the complaints, but maybe it would on the rush to get there if they weren't in open view and being such a temptation to everyone....

The members here could possibly have a larger impact on cleaning up the classifieds than any rule change... If they see something incorrect, they have been repeatedly told what to do... If they don't want to report someone for quite possibly an honest mistake, they can always send a quick PM letting the member know of the omission, thread closure, ect...

Members could also make an impact on the pricing issues by being more accountable for themselves and also other members... If a member sees a price he " thinks " is so-called gouging, he/she can move on, and if it bothers to such a degree, just simply make a mental note of that member as to never do business with them in the future... This would only help if they hold true to their convictions ... It would fail to improve a thing if it only would be a repeat of the 2008-2009 CTD whining... If someone feels strongly enough that someone is gouging, they must hold them accountable indefinitely, not just until it's convenient again....

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The mods have said several times that if a member sees a clear violation in the classifieds to report it. It helps them.

Listen to the bunny.
    I suggest that if a member in good standing sees a classified post in clear violation of the rules, that member should be punished if they do NOT report the post.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Fenway,

The problem is any random joe schmoe off the interwebs can come in here, spam 50 posts (generally at night when modz is polishing jackboots) Snatch up that good deal or list a whole bunch of I just went to walmart and snagged all the $20 .22lr and will not sell it for 460 and vanish. (They contributed nothing)

or

They can pay $15 and do the same thing or then list a whole bunch of junk at exorbitant prices.... Make a @#$% ton of $$$$$$$ while only leaving $15 behind.

They in no way advance this community or post anything of value or meaning.

What needs to happen is some combination of the below :

the post count needs to go way up (mods more work & no happy),
    More Mods
    Remove the or Site Supporter stipulaton
    Set a time frame for access to the classifieds.
    Do away with the classifieds all together

Like I said in the OP this is a community 1st, classifieds a way distance second.

Why are we letting these people use Our Community when they dont even respect or care about it? Some I have noticed paid a site supporter long ago, It expired and they can still access the classifieds without 50 posts...

Reporting doesnt work because you can only do it once a decade... or what ever that long time frame is

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    The bottom line for me is I'm Libertarian. I don't want more regulations and rules to fix something that isn't really a problem because someone else doesn't like something. If I wanted regulations I would vote for Bloomberg, Pelosi. Feinstein, Reid, Schummer, etc. Guess what there probably isn't anyone on this site who wants that. Trying to fix a problem to please everyone does not work. The media and government and been shoving that approach down our throats for decades and we hate it. Everyone *****es about it. Why bring it here to INGO.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Fenway,

The problem is any random joe schmoe off the interwebs can come in here, spam 50 posts (generally at night when modz is polishing jackboots) Snatch up that good deal or list a whole bunch of I just went to walmart and snagged all the $20 .22lr and will not sell it for 460 and vanish. (They contributed nothing)

or

They can pay $15 and do the same thing or then list a whole bunch of junk at exorbitant prices.... Make a @#$% ton of $$$$$$$ while only leaving $15 behind.

Once again, the new person isn't the problem, the problem is regular members doing business with them.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Once again, the new person isn't the problem, the problem is regular members doing business with them.

Highlighting the post above as most of the people I see in the classifieds that are price gouging products have been members for years, and have a very high post count. I mean who in their right mind would buy a used hand gun when you can pay only $30 more at your LGS?

Good post Bunny... You Da Man!!!!!!!:rockwoot:

mr hucky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Avon
    You guys should ditch the classifieds altogether. Quite whining and get a life off the net. More than 700 posts per year Really!
    Fenway,

or

What needs to happen is some combination of the below :

the post count needs to go way up (mods more work & no happy),
    More Mods
    Remove the or Site Supporter stipulaton
    Set a time frame for access to the classifieds.
    Do away with the classifieds all together

Like I said in the OP this is a community 1st, classifieds a way distance second.

Why are we letting these people use Our Community when they dont even respect or care about it? Some I have noticed paid a site supporter long ago, It expired and they can still access the classifieds without 50 posts...

Reporting doesnt work because you can only do it once a decade... or what ever that long time frame is

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't see an issue. Say you sold a gun and someone flips it? Either you're mad because you could have gotten more, or because there was a transaction that you weren't involved in, but don't like. Either way, it's your problem. This is so much like the pro-gun/anti-gun debate it makes me sick. Hypocrits. There's something you don't like, so you try to change it for everyone instead of choosing not to participate. Sound like familiar logic? If I can buy a gun or lot of ammo here for $300 and sell it for $400 the next day, you can bet your ass I would do it. If someone is willing to pay it, I'm perfectly happy to sell it. You call them price gougers... I call them entrepreneurs.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I don't see an issue. Say you sold a gun and someone flips it? Either you're mad because you could have gotten more, or because there was a transaction that you weren't involved in, but don't like. Either way, it's your problem. This is so much like the pro-gun/anti-gun debate it makes me sick. Hypocrits. There's something you don't like, so you try to change it for everyone instead of choosing not to participate. Sound like familiar logic? If I can buy a gun or lot of ammo here for $300 and sell it for $400 the next day, you can bet your ass I would do it. If someone is willing to pay it, I'm perfectly happy to sell it. You call them price gougers... I call them entrepreneurs.

Except that borders on for profit and might require an FFL.....

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    All of this new member versus old member stuff sounds too click-ish for me. I'm not interested in becoming a member of the good 'ol boys club. If I sell something for $450, I don't care if the person has been a member since day one or if he has 25,000 posts. I just want to do what the law requires in order for me to ensure he/she is a proper person. I don't see anyone posing "Glock for sale - $500 for new members and $400 for old members." I don't get turning down a sale to a new person. They have to protect themselves and family just like the rest of us.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You guys should ditch the classifieds altogether. Quite whining and get a life off the net. More than 700 posts per year Really!

Try almost 5000 per year for me, more for some others. Most of us I would say have lives off of the net but we find time here as well to chat with friends and like minded people.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    All of this new member versus old member stuff sounds too click-ish for me. I'm not interested in becoming a member of the good 'ol boys club. If I sell something for $450, I don't care if the person has been a member since day one or if he has 25,000 posts. I just want to do what the law requires in order for me to ensure he/she is a proper person. I don't see anyone posing "Glock for sale - $500 for new members and $400 for old members." I don't get turning down a sale to a new person. They have to protect themselves and family just like the rest of us.
    They can also go to a gun store or shop. I didn't sell to a noob because I was just following the house rules and I didn't know him or have a feel for him at all.

Top Bottom